main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Marriage-the forgotten sin.

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Chris2, Oct 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris2

Chris2 Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 11, 1998
    Christ stated
    that those who will obtain heaven, will NOT be married at all.

Luke 20:34-36
    34 And Jesus answering said unto them, The children of this world marry, and
    are given in marriage:
    35 But they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world, and the
    resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage:
    36 Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and
    are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection.
    (KJV)

And Revelation tells us that ONLY virgins will be redeemed.

Rev 14:3-5
    3 And they sung as it were a new song before the throne, and before the four
    beasts, and the elders: and no man could learn that song but the hundred and
    forty and four thousand, which were redeemed from the earth.
    4 These are they which were not defiled with women; for they are virgins.
    These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever he goeth. These were
    redeemed from among men, being the firstfruits unto God and to the Lamb.
    5 And in their mouth was found no guile: for they are without fault before
    the throne of God.
    (KJV)

And Christ said that those who want the KINGDOM OF GOD, will make themselves
    eunuchs.

Matt 19:12
    and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of
    heaven's sake. (KJV)

SEX is lust and sin. It was created for procreation only and procreation is
    a WORLDLY act, and NOT of GOD.
    SO if you want to be saved, you will repent of your marriages, repent of
    your sex, and be pure, undefiled and sexless.

Luke 14:26-27
    26 If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and
    children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot
    be my disciple.
    27 And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my
    disciple.
    (KJV)

x
    Luke 14:33
    33 So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath,
    he cannot be my disciple.
    (KJV)

Matt 19:28-30
    28 And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have
    followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne
    of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve
    tribes of Israel.
    29 And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or
    father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall
    receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life.
    30 But many that are first shall be last; and the last shall be first.
    (KJV)

Get off your desires of earthliness and begin to lay down your WHOLE lives
    for GOD, for any person who desires an earthly mate, will NOT be partakers
    of the marriage of the LAMB, your ONLY husband.

I think this has gone well off course, even after I said it needed to stay on topic.

2. TheBiggerFish

TheBiggerFish Jedi Master star 4

Mar 26, 2001
    1 Peter 3:15 - but in your hearts reverence Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to make a defense to any one who calls you to account for the hope that is in you, yet do it with gentleness and reverence

What you say is coming straight from the Bible, I agree with that. But the above passage also comes from the Bible, and it calls you to gently witness, not rebuke harshly, as you have done. Such denunciations of the world only lead people to be offended and close their ears to the message.

I am also a Chrisitian, and your statements go against all I have been taught. I have been offended as well.

All I want in this world is to have children, and to raise those children to be children of Christ, that is how I will give my life to Christ, by raising his children.

Doesn't Jesus call us to evangelise to others? Doesn't Jesus call us to tell the Good News to all the nations? How can we do this when we are old and childless, and others are young with children of their own? Without children, without new generations, Christianity would be dead in the water.

Are you trying to suggest that my mother is going to hell for having a happy, pure marriage and raising her three children into men and women of the Lord? Statements and suggestions such as these will NOT make people repent of the sin of the world. Statements and suggestions such as these make people want to ignore you, and Christianity. What you are doing is NOT helping the cause, it is hindering it.

If the Lord did not want us to be married and have children, why would there be a whole section in Ephesians 5:22-33 about how husbands and wives should act towards each other and relate to each other. If the Lord truly wanted us to stay 'pure' from marriage, wouldn't that section simply be

"It is a sin to have a wife, leave her immediately"

Likewise, why would there be a passage below that one about children and parents relating to each other? If the Lord truly wanted us to stay 'pure' from children, wouldn't that section simply be

"Those with children have defiled themselves in the eyes of the Lord. Children are a sin."

Without children, nothing can go on.

SEX is lust and sin. It was created for procreation only and procreation is
    a WORLDLY act, and NOT of GOD.
    SO if you want to be saved, you will repent of your marriages, repent of
    your sex, and be pure, undefiled and sexless.

That is just about the most unreasoned statement I have ever heard! I'm sorry to be so harsh, but you are a Child of God, as am I, and I must rebuke you gently, as God calls me to do.

If sex was created for procreation and procreation is a WORDLY act, then who created it? God created the whole world, and when Adam was lonely, he did not send another man, to be certain there would be no marriage or procreation. God sent a WOMAN, and there was marriage, Cain and Abel.

I'm stil very angry that you insinuate my parents, uncles, aunts, grandparents and cousins will be going to hell for getting married.

I am a Christian, and me devoting my life to the Lord will be done in the only way I know how - raising children to be as blessed as I have been, with strong Christian parents.

3. Master-Jedi-Smith

Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2002
    I'm so confused! ?[face_plain]

If I wanted to believe in the bible, what am I to believe in. Marriage or no marriage? I sure wouldn't want to be sinning! ;)

But that is only if I wanted to believe in the bible, which I was made to do, and which I don't anymore.

Latre! :D

4. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I'm going to have to close this thread, Chris, unless you can come up with your own thoughts and accompanying viewpoint on this. Otherwise, there's nothing to debate.

5. TheBiggerFish

Mar 26, 2001
    Before you close this, just let me put up a few verses for Chris to ponder:

1 Corinthians 7:36 If anyone thinks he is acting improperly toward the virgin he is engaged to, and if she is getting along in years and he feels he ought to marry, he should do as he wants. He is not sinning. They should get married.

1 Timothy 5:14 So I counsel younger widows to marry, to have children, to manage their homes and to give the enemy no opportunity for slander.

Deuturonomy 24:5 If a man has recently married, he must not be sent to war or have any other duty laid on him. For one year he is to be free to stay at home and bring happiness to the wife he has married.

6. Darth Geist

Darth Geist Jedi Master star 5

Oct 23, 1999
    "I do everything it says in the Bible; even the stuff that contradicts the other stuff!" -Ned Flanders

:p

7. TheBiggerFish

Mar 26, 2001
    lol!

The Bible is confusing, but that's not because God doesn't know what He's trying to say, it's because humans don't understand what He's trying to say. Misinterpreting the Bible is easy.

I think when the Bible talks about about people not 'defiling themselves with women' in Revelation, it means those who did not have sex outside of marriage.

And there is no unforgivable sin anyway.

8. Wylding

Wylding Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2000
    Revelation is a prophetic book and women in it typically represent religions other than Christianity.

9. Master-Jedi-Smith

May 26, 2002
    And there is no unforgivable sin anyway.

Well if there is one thing I know about the christian faith, that is true, and very sad in some situations. :(

10. TheBiggerFish

Mar 26, 2001
    sad? The first time I truly heard that statement, I wanted to sing! The fact that God is willing to forgive everything we do is the most glorious truth I've ever known!

I don't mean to say I'll go sin as much as I want because God will forgive me, it means that when I make mistakes, I'm not going to be punished after death for them.

11. Master-Jedi-Smith

May 26, 2002
    I am trying not to get off topic, but there are some sins that, if I believed in religion, some people should burn in hell for.

But, I don't, and that is why many countries have justice systems for. To punish those that commit awful acts.

12. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    Didn't Paul say it's better to marry than to burn?

13. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    I have to agree with Master-Jedi-Smith.

It seems messed up that a Christian who raped and murdered a small child would go to Heaven, while an athiest who saved the lives of thousands of orphaned children would not.

I think I know why I'm not really a religious person.... if I did believe in religion though, there are definitley some "sins" I would think were deserving of hell. And I'm not talking about little mistakes here. I'm talking brutally evil things. Like rape and murder.

14. Master-Jedi-Smith

May 26, 2002
    Well, I'm still wondering, should I marry or shouldn't I?

15. Wylding

Wylding Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2000
    Didn't Paul say it's better to marry than to burn?

He said that it's better to marry than to burn with passion.

Your statement could be taken to mean burn in an eternal sense.

16. Master-Jedi-Smith

May 26, 2002
    Rebecca191,

You hit the nail on the head with what I was talking about! :)

17. EnforcerSG

EnforcerSG Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2001
    I am sure it makes ppl feel good to 'know' that even if they mess up, deliberately or accidentally, they will still be loved. No wonder religion is so tempting.

Question, is what was said above as exact of a translation as can be, or is the translation questionable. Sort of like the "universe made in 6 days/indeterminate spans of time" and Mary was a virgin/young woman type translations?

Even if that is very close to an exact translation, there will be people who will say the Bible should not be taken literally.

Also, don?t major religious figures take vows of chastity among others? Admittedly, I know very little of the workings of many churches, but is that related in any way?

18. TheBiggerFish

Mar 26, 2001
    I understand your problems with religion, and I have to say I still struggle with a lot of it.

The thing is, if a Christian willingly commits a sin, knowing it's a sin, then asks forgiveness for it...I don't know quite how to phrase it, but I think that in itself is a sin. I could be wrong, so don't quote me on this, OK?

I don't know answers to all your questions. I'll go ask my youth minister and get back to you guys. If this thread is locked by then, I'll PM them to you. I'm sorry I can't answer you now, but when I can, you'll know.

Enforcer: My ministers marry and a lot of their children are my good friends. I go to an Anglican church. But some priests (Catholic I think) take vows of chastity, yes.

The thing with the interpretations of the Bible - I personally think it is because humans can't ever fully understand God's mind and what He wants to tell us.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, my belief is not a 'Get out of Hell free" card or anything like that. I dont WANT to sin, because I know it hurts God when I do. It is a comforting thought to know that God will forgive me, but that isn't the whole reason I became a Christian. The other part of the reason I became a Christian is that I know that, no matter what, God will love me, and that he loved me enough to die for me. Christianity isn't a crutch to hide from the realities of humanity, it's not something you believe in just so you can sin as much as you want either.

I've got to go now. But I'll be back later to talk again.

19. Master-Jedi-Smith

May 26, 2002
    TheBiggerFish,

I applaud your willingness to admit that you don't know everything. :)

Many of us here won't admit to it. :p

Plus, I am glad to see that your quest for knowledge continues, and that you will seek out answers to questions that you don't know.

20. EnforcerSG

EnforcerSG Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2001
    Although I am not religious, I always sort of assumed that if you truly believed in Christ or any religion, then you would follow whatever rules that are laid down by that religion. Otherwise you don?t truly believe.

Don?t quote me on this, because the idea is rather vague in my mind, but if you intentionally don?t follow those rules, then you don?t truly believe and asking for forgiveness is meaningless.

But peoples beliefs change, and I am not sure how that would be taken, especially if they change to what is 'correct.' Also what if it is a vague or possibly contradictory statement like Chris2 sort of clams it is.

I am bitting my tongue, people are bringing up other points of religion that I would love to debate...but this is not the place for it...

21. TheBiggerFish

Mar 26, 2001
    Although I am not religious, I always sort of assumed that if you truly believed in Christ or any religion, then you would follow whatever rules that are laid down by that religion. Otherwise you don?t truly believe.

That is the essence of what I think right there. :) I do try to go God's way, but like all humans, I often fail. The thing is, I've always been taught that if you love God, you wouldn't want to hurt Him, and sinning hurts him, so you wouldn't want to do it. Therefore, you follow His guidelines for life (which some people call His 'Rules')

I applaud your willingness to admit that you don't know everything.
    [face_blush]

22. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999
    How ludicrous this thread is and the title.

Here is a passage concerning marriage:
    `For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh'? So they are no longer two but one flesh" (Matthew 19:4-6).

With these words of Christ two things are reaffirmed. First, the physical unity of male and female gender supports the sacrament of matrimony. Secondly, no one should separate those whom God has joined.

As far as the other comments about failures, we are all human. We all far short. By Christ's death and resurrection, He reconciled us to God. Therefore, our sins are forgiven if we only ask, believe, and try to avoid further transgressions. We will still inevitably fall though, and it is up to the grace of God to help us through.

23. JediRedi

JediRedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2002
    May I ask a as-yet unraised question?

If marriage is sin, and children are sin then there for aren't we all sin?

And didn't God encourage Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden to have children. Didn't he promise Abraham that he would have as many descendants as stars in the sky? Would God create a convenant giving someone sin? I don't think so.

1 Timothy 4:2-4
    Through the pretensions of liars whose consciences are seared, 3 who forbid marriage and enjoin absintence from foods which God created to be recieved with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth. 4 For everything created by God is good and nothing is to be rejected if it is recieved with thanksgiving;

I believe that this passage clearly states that God created marriage for people to enjoy and that we should NOT abstain from it for the Lord created it for our benefit.

24. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999
    I forgot to mention in my above post that marriage is one of the Sacraments of the Roman Catholic Church as well.

The Sacraments are:

Anointing of the sick (last rites)
    Baptism
    Confirmation
    Holy Eucharist
    Holy Orders (the vow a priest takes)
    Matrimony
    Reconciliation

Marriage is an integral part in one's life, and it is the blessing from the Church before God of the formation of the union between man and wife.

Sex is only sinful outside of marriage or extramarital.

25. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I usually have lots to say - DM can verify that. This time, just one thing and I'm done.

Thank god I'm Atheist! :D

E_S

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.