Mars Attacks!

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by DarthHomer, Feb 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthHomer Force Ghost

star 5
    Okay, I know a lot of people hate this film, but I just wanted to say that I think ILM's work on this was severely overlooked at the time. The character animation was realy great, and pioneered a lot of the work that would be done later on TPM (i.e. all CG alien armies and simulated clothing). The Martians were a wonderful mix of B-movie tackiness and state of the art realism. I can't believe it wasn't even nominated for the best special effects Oscar. Personally, I thought ILM's work here was more impressive than anything in Independence Day (which used more old-fashioned effects), but the negative reception to MA! probably hurt their chances for a nomination.

If you want an example of what I'm talking about, check out the scene where the Martians first hear the translation device talking back to them in the desert (widescreen version). The expressions on their faces are priceless.
  2. Bossk_BountyHunter Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I've actually never been able to see the entire film.From what I've seen it looks campy and poorly acted although there are many stars in it.

Next time TBS shows it I will tape it.
  3. SWfan2002 Jedi Master

star 4
    I loved Mars Attacks! So does my whole family, believe it or not. I don't know why so many people didn't like it. I guess I just don't care about acting like some people do.
  4. DarthHomer Force Ghost

star 5
    I think a lot of people expected Mars Attacks to be a spoof of 50s B movies, so were disappointed that it wasn't a laugh-a-second romp like Airplace. It's actually more of a homage (like Star Wars) with some sick laughs thrown in.
    Anyway, I think those little Martian guys are some of ILM's greatest creations.
    ACK-ACK!
    :)

P.S. Tim Burton must be a fan of ILM, since they worked on Sleepy Hollow and Planet of the Apes also.
  5. AdamBertocci Manager

Manager
    star 7
    I thought it was a load of fun, myself.
  6. Edhel Jedi Master

star 4
    I was barely able to sit through it, I hated it. :)
  7. jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    It's actually a satire about the stupidity of Americans. That's pretty much why it wasn't recieved as well as say Independence Day which showed the brilliance of Americans.

Can't win... we're all stupid.
  8. DarthHomer Force Ghost

star 5
    I was actually hoping to start a discussion about the groundbreaking SFX in the film, rather than the quality of the movie itself (I loved it, but I can understand why some didn't). I mean, how often do you get to see a love affair between Pierce Brosnan and Sarah Jessica Parker's severed heads? :)
  9. jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Don't ask me, but as one of the biggest Tim Burton fans out there, I thought the movie rocked and had some of the best CGI special effects of it's time.

The mid-90s cannot be reckoned with, folks. CG effects back then were used more to enhance a film rather than carry it like you see with some of today's utter drivel in which there seems to be about 1500 CGI shots or something around that number and for some strange reason you can tell what's CGI and what's not.
  10. HerkMondo Jedi Knight

star 1
    That movie kicks ass. And of course its campy, thats the point, its a spoof.
  11. malducin Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah the FX were quite an accomplishment today, though not all of them were ILM, the flying saucers were done by (now defunct) Warner Digital. I loved the style of making it look like those B movies, from the tin can look of the saucers to the animation of the martians which looked a bit like stop motion puppets (done on purpose). Also amazing the capes considering that there was not much in the way of commercial cloth animation back then. There was even an interview here with Tim Mclaughlin, when the site was the Texas A&M STar Wars site (Tim graduated from there), and he talkked a little bit about Mars Attack, even joking about the hidden messages written in the martians brains!!!
  12. Yoshi-Toshi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  13. Lieutenant_Page Jedi Master

star 4
    Excellent Movie. THe whole country-western music thing was the best.
  14. flyingseal Jedi Master

star 4
    tim burton has a very unusual style.
    you hate it or you love it.
    i love it! :)

he wanted it to look fake, it was some kind of homage to all the old classic SF movies.
    at first he wanted to use stop-motion but later on he decited to use computer effects.
    so he wanted it to look kind of fake......as a movie fan you have to see that and think, jeez this movie is just great!
  15. Droidcell Jedi Padawan

In my opinion I think it was boring & stupid ..
  16. Duckman Jedi Master

star 4
    And who asked for your opinion?
  17. jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    The author of this thread by implying to people to post their opinions about the movie just by posting the first post of the thread itself.

:p
  18. DarthHomer Force Ghost

star 5
    Actually, I started this topic mainly to discuss ILM's groundbreaking effects work on Mars Attacks, not the film itself. I know there are a lot of people who "don't get" the humour in the film, but that's their choice.
  19. flyingseal Jedi Master

star 4
    yeah some people just don't understand the art of movie making ;)
    and sure ILM did a great job.....but doesn't all the ILM movies look great?
    there is no company that can beat them.
  20. malducin Jedi Master

star 4
  21. Grand Admiral Reese Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    How can you not like Mars Attacks! ? It's tailor made to be a campy movie, and that's where its goodness comes from. It's like all those bad '50s SF movies rolled into one, which, IMO is a good thing.

22. Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Youngling

star 6
    the only good thing about that movie is Natalie Portman
  23. flyingseal Jedi Master

star 4
  24. Knightstalker- Jedi Knight

star 3
    It's not unusual to be loved by anyone!

Great show...awesome effects..loved those wacky little Martians!
  25. Sandjo_Koharr Jedi Knight

star 3
    "If any of them martians come around here, I'm gonna kick their butts!"

How can you not love a movie with a line like that :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.