main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph MARVEL CIVIL WAR

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Obi_Will_Kenobi, Mar 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    I was reading some other forums and there was some interesting theories on maybe its Spider-Man who dies. Made sense in the way that we wouldn't have to deal with Parker's identity being public (which has got to be the major fallout from Civil War so far) and have someone else fill in (Ben Riley? Where is he?) Would explain the new costume too.

Don't think that's gonna happen, just throwing it out there.

2. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Interesting theory, but I don't think Marvel is going to kill off their most popular character (with the possible exception of Wolverine). Plus, they kinda just did that last year with "The Other".

3. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    While it would be appropriate to his career to have his death be a fizzle, almost a footnote durring a large event, I cna't see Marvel betraying the character like that. More likely it would be a build up towards the death creating a major event that would milk every last cent form the franchise.

Right now its just too popular, and only going to get more so with the Black Costume and the upcoming Spider-man 3. Again they will milk this.

This is of course assuming they don't intend to pull a superman and kill him off only to bring him back...oh wait they JUST did that. See The Other.

4. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    Spidey-back-in-black I thought at first would mean he would just don the cloth costume. But thinking about the movie coming out, and the symbiotie not with Brock anymore, I bet it goes back to Parker and we see the Parker-against-the-costume story (again)

I could see that eventually going into "maybe Parker wasn't really Spider-Man." Maybe I'm grasping, but I just can't imagine Parker's identity being public for too long. It has to be retconned.

5. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Nah, I don't think so. Venom (Mac Gargan) is in Thunderbolts for the time being.

6. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    While I can't see them actually taking away from the venom character, its feesable that the black symboite could return to Parker since it has always had a preference to the guy over anyone else.

What I don't understand is why the black costumer...Logically its marketing and symbolic of the dark times he faces...and with the movie coming soon it makes sense. But I could have sworn he promised MJ he wouldn't wear black after Venom's emergance...it frightened her too much.

7. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    That doesn't matter if she's dead.

8. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    Peter has never been one to let go of something after someone dies.

9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    He'll take them out. He hates pretty much everyone. About the only ones he can even remotely stand is Spidey and the Punisher. Spidey it's had to do with his never taking him in, when he was Banner. And Frank gets off because he helped him take down the man who killed one of the few people who had ever cared about him. Neither had betrayed him. Unless Namor and Black Bolt prove that they didn't betray him, he'll tear them a new one.

But he did, twice. First when he had the Fantastic Four make a new suit, so he could go after Mobius (sp) in "Sub-City", Spider-Man #13-14 circa 1991. Second time he put on the mask & gloves when all of his suits were trashed, save for the one worn by Spidercide. He didn't have the time to strip him out of it. This was in "The Mark Of Kaine", parts three and four. Peter never burned it when he was burning all of his gear, in "The Parker Legacy" one-shot. I think that's what that one was called.

So as it is, Peter wearing the suit, if MJ is dead, only happens because its the only way for him to go.

10. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    I find myself hoping one of them dies and stays dead for a year or two: Spidey, Captain America, or Iron Man. It makes for a good story while it lasts and it makes this crossover seem worth while.

11. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    While part of me would want to see a spidey is dead story I can't see marvel doing that. They would really need to build up to it and sell the hell out of it and having just come off of The Other is beating a (no pun intended) Dead Horse. I can see Cap dying, or there be some mystery as to his whereabouts.

12. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I don't think Peter is dead. So that ain't it. Cap and Tony are seen in "Civil War: The Confession", which as I understand it, takes place after the war is over. At best I see Cap disappearing for a while.

The only CW gives us is everyone doesn't like everyone anymore, right before the Hulk kicks everyone's ass.

13. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    The guy that owns the comic store i go to thinks that MJ is going to die thus driving spidey into the black suit (Back in Black...etc)

I don't think so though, I just think that the Back in Black thing is just to boost the movie comming out.

I was just wondering if anyone else had heard that.

dkt

14. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Part of the black suit is to tie into the film, since Sandman is getting a lot of coverage in Friendly Neighborhood and Marvel Adventures. And a while ago, Joe Quesada indicated that Eddie Brock's story isn't done yet. As to MJ, I think we can safely assume she's alive. Check out the Sensational Spider-Man annual solicit page.

http://www.newsarama.com/NewJoeFridays/NJF34art/SENSMANN001001_col2.jpg

Pete's wearing the black suit.

15. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    The final page of the most recent issue of Amazing Spider-Man (I can't remember the actual number) shows MJ and Aunt May in the sights of a sniper. This has lead to several theories about one or both of them dying. Plus, Joe Quesada has been talking about killing MJ for years, so it's definitely on people's mind.

16. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    It may be on their minds, but that's not who is going to die. MJ is alive as seen in the preview pages for the Sensational Spider-Man annual.

17. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Could be a flashback?

18. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Kinda doubtful. There is a flashback, but it is to when Harry and Gwen were still alive. Besides, look at their hair. It doesn't match up to the time period. The Harry and Gwen flashback does. All four have the hair as Steve Ditko and John Romita Sr., drew. Peter and MJ do not have the hairstyles of Todd MacFarlane. Sal Buescema (sp), Alex Sauvik and Mike Zeck were still using the classic hair styles.

http://www.newsarama.com/NewJoeFridays/NJF34art/SENSMANN001005_col.jpg

http://www.newsarama.com/NewJoeFridays/NJF34art/SENSMANN001002_col2.jpg

This is also what Joe Quesada said. "Ramon Bachs will be the guest penciler for issues #36 & 37, leading up to the Sensational Spider-Man Annual by Matt Fraction and Salvador Larocca. Here?s some gorgeous art from the annual, which is on-sale in May, along with some art from a flashback scene." So short of a flashback within a flashback, which I don't think so from what he said, MJ does not die.

19. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    Its defiantly not a flashback. There's a sniper scope targeted at her head at the motel they are staying at.

20. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    And someone could stop them from being shot or she moves. You do know that is possible.

21. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    I don't expect MJ to die, but it would be a more effective way to end Spider-man's involvement in Civil War. There's got to be some kind of long lasting repurcussion from Peter revealing his identity to the world.

22. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    Plus I think that SPidy has had his big reveal to the world. He told everyone that he is spiderman so i doubt that any more "Big changes" will happen concerning peter parker.

dktt

23. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    I dunno. There are stil many unresolved issues hanging in the air. With JMS leaving I think many of them will at least be touched upon. They keep promising more from the Ezekial and The Other storylines, which I always felt were left up in the air. And there are all kind of emotional issues resurfacing lately that have yet to be dealt with. Mind you this could take years. But I am sure that this is only the continuation into harder times for spidey.

24. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    I wish we could have sigs for this. Other boards are doing hilarious photoshops of
    [image=http://www.newsarama.com/JoeFridays/JF49art/IronMan_425x100.jpg]

25. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    [image=http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/darthcolin/1147301980844.jpg]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.