main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph MARVEL CIVIL WAR

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Obi_Will_Kenobi, Mar 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 23, 2005
    Yeah, and both Aunt May and MJ are shown still alive (unless the one panel they're in is just a memory).

2. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    Ben ulrich perhaps?

3. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    Hats off to the GhostRider, Casualties of war having nothing to do with Civil War. My Gunslinger Comic is more of a tie in than that one.

dkt

4. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Civil War 7 Spoilers

As the fight continues in the Negative Zone between friend and foe, Dagger advises her team mate Cloak that he is going to have to teleport everyone out. Upon teleporting everyone finds themselves falling from the sky just outside of the Backster Building in New York. Team mates help team mates safely to the ground as the fighting continues. Reinforcements are then joined for both side, The Registration side from Clor, and Namor and his Atlantians. The battle becomes more fierce with many are hurt, including Reed who while trying to save his wife, Sue , he is shot by Taskmaster and Hercules takes out Door. ***Oh poor poor Taskmaster, you should know better than to upset Sue?and you know it from the look in your eyes*** Iron Man is taken down by Captain America who is about to finish the fight when she is grabbed by a number of citizens of New York. Cap takes notice of the damage that their fight has caused and orders both sides to stand down. Cap then removes her mask, drops it on the ground, and allows herself to be arrested and taken away with the mask retrieved by the Punisher. The 50 State Initiative goes into place with a number of holdouts from Caps team still ?underground?. Sue returns to her husband Reed, Iron Man, is given the position of Director of S.H.E.I.L.D.

So pretty much...it sucks. Again.

5. StarscreamPrime

StarscreamPrime Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2006
    At the very least, there was not one mention of mind control. A minor bandaid on a hemmoraging wound, but a bandaid, nonetheless.

6. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 23, 2005
    Yep, those spoilers are exactly how it goes. Pretty underwhelming ending, really.

Oh, and no deaths, so Ben Urich in the last issue of Frontline is looking a strong possibility.

7. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    My first reaction upon finishing CW#7: :confused:

I wasn't even sure of what was happening most of the time. I'm no expert on Marvel characters who aren't mutants and could have used cue cards or something to tell me who was fighing with who. In the end it looks like Steve Rogers finally learned the lesson that Frank Castle was trying to teach him (mostly inadvertantly) in the last issue. But other than that nothing really happened.

At least the new Spider-man ended with Aunt May getting shot. So that's some kind of result from Civil War.

8. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    It looks as if we won't be seeing the real results of Civil War until all the "Aftermath" books. Great, more stuff to buy. :rolleyes:

9. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    MARVEL: CIVIL WAR

WHOEVER WINS, YOU GET SCREWED

10. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    Well it's over. The core series was good, the asm, and ff tie ins were good. The other stuff wasn't so hot. I think the series would've been better if it were like 10 issues long and had a lot less tie ins. As for all of the initiative stuff, i'm not buying a lot of it.

11. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    Kinda felt like it was three or four comics crammed into one. When I saw Punisher pick up Caps mask the first thing I thought of was him roaming around as captain A for a bit. But, probably won't happen

dkt

12. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    I thought the same thing

After #7, the whole thing seemed like a big ad for this Initiative thing.

Also, what happened with Captain Mar-vell? I assumed his return was important to the story or something.

13. razzy1319

razzy1319 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2004
    WT*!!!!!

What a waste of time and money... They made Cap's side the wrong side? Marvel really hit the low end with this ****...

14. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    There is a beleif that those who have the power write the history. Ironman won. He has the power, therefor his side was in the right.

The only reason he won is so that Marvel can prolong the drama by milking registration...but its only a matter of time before this blows up again and becomes another event and things more or less revert back to normal with more promises of universe shattering events.

15. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    Actually that's very possible. Ads for Punisher War Journal #6 say that he's about to have a major costume change. If Marvel does follow through with something like that, then this will be the worst thing they've done to Frank Castle since having him commit suicide and return as an avenging angel with supernatural powers.

16. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    My prediction: Punisher = Ronin

17. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Nah, I don't think Frank will become Captian America. I think he'll go get Cap and get him out.

18. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    Somewhere Garth Ennis is drinking himself to histarical blindness.

19. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    A team in every state? That seems like there will be a lot of new or re-hashed heroes. Especially if they have to be the sort that registered

20. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    Wait a sec..

I just realized what the whole CW is about.

Look on the last pages of CW 7.

It wasn't about rights, or heroes being too powerful, or protecting the people, or idiologies.

This entire stupid thing was about Iron Man wanting to **** Miram Sharpe.

21. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    I demand to see the Missouri team! I hope they don't die a violent and horrible death the first time we see them, as well.

I read CW #7 yesterday and the first issue today. It wasn't bad. Wasn't the best comic I've read, but it's certainly far from the worst. I give it a "B".

22. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    And we have a winner!

Seriously, I'm completely disappointed in Marvel for this. You can not have just read Civil War to get the overall goings on without collecting who knows how many of the other tie-ins. Frankly of those, only Bendis has done the job right with the individual issues looking at how this affected each member. Actually, I'll add Frontline to that also, since it had the right feel for a tie-in and gave additional info that added to the experience but wasn't neccessarily essential.

At least Silent War is shaping up better.

23. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    While I appreciate his resurrecting a great character from Marvel Oblivion, I've never agreed with his view of the Punisher. He's not a sociopathic killer. He's crazy, yes. Driven and obsessive for sure. But Garth's claim that he stopped killing for revenge a long time ago and now kills for the pleasure of it takes away any last vestiges of nobility and tragedy the character still had. He doesn't enjoy killing, he doesn't like it. He thinks he's in the middle of a real war where criminals are the enemy and he treats it as such. That's what he was trained to do.

So far it seems Civil War's impact on the Punisher is that now he's after super-criminals. Check out War Journal #4 where he wipes out an entire bar room full of D-list supervillains (I'm not counting Rhino because I'm sure he'll be back) to see how he's now a major factor in the Marvel Universe.

24. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    Just picked up the final issues of the mess...I can't say I am terribly pleased with the outcome, particularly since the only climax to the series I could see was Spidey's defection and that featured more ASM. Sadly it looks like this will only be retcon in a matter of months...though I am hoping for more fall out. Unfortunately it seems that the fall out from Marvel's big series is just another big series, each equally as unsatisfying as the last.

One thing I am curious about. I essentially only read the mainline and ASM, but on someone's suggestion I picked up Frontline 11. When and where did that whole Norman Osbourn storyline occur?? I think i am most disturbed by the fact they show complete disregard for his character as having a completely focused hatred/interest in spider-man only, resulting in him never being involved with any other line. Now not only is he apparently a catalyst to a scheme hatched by Tony to create the Civil War so he can find balance for the heroes and build a better life for him, but he is going to be the centerpiece of the Thunderbolts?!?! :confused: I only hope this is a large elaborate scheme, built on top of his already apparently ongoing elaborate scheme against Spider-man...or did I miss something. Regardless it looks like I am going to have to pick up thunderbolts now. :rolleyes:

25. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    Retconned in a few months? Seriously? Have you seen what they plan on doing with The Initiative? And saying that Spider-Man's defection is the "climax"? How about the FF breaking up? Or Tony becoming the head of SHIELD? Or the dozen's of new superhero teams being created? While the story itself was fairly lackluster it looks as if there will be lasting effects from Civil War for years to come.

The Norman Osborn storyline been in Frontlines for a while now. Tony didn't use Osborn to create the Civil War, he just used him once the war began to anger the Atlantians so that more anti-reg heroes would register to unite against a common foe.
    I've always felt that Frontlines had the best "side-stories" in Civil War (most times better than the core book) and this newest issue proved it again. And yes Norman been leading the new Thunderbolts team (Venom, Bullseye, Penance, etc.) for the last two issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.