Amph MARVEL CIVIL WAR

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Obi_Will_Kenobi, Mar 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soontir-Fel Force Ghost

star 5
    Frontlines was the stupidest thing I have read since the abortion of a story that was "The Return."

It was just...

ARRRRRRRGHGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

IRON MAN USED THE GREEN GOBLIN TO MURDER ATLANTIANS AND HE GETS A PASS WHILE CAPTAIN AMERICA IS SCREAMED AT FOR NOT HAVING A MYSPACE
  2. FlareStorm Force Ghost

star 6
  3. Spiderfan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Same thing was said about House of M, Avengers Disassembled, Spider-man: The Other...much of that has already been undone.

I can't recall much of the FF's division in the core CW line...what little there was, seemed more anticlimactic to me, though it was heartfelt I will give you that much. The dozens of teams I can only see as being a center piece for drama as many of them fall apart...I don't see the initiative working long term. Prior to this the heroes worked voluntarily. Now they are being directed. I can't see that lasting. And IMO its only a matter of time before Tony's crimes come to light and he is stripped of his position. Plus I can't see Fury liking this move too much. Can't wait for his return.

The only occurances I see having actual repercussions would be the banishment of the hulk and his coming return, and the fall out from the strike against the Atlanteans...I doubt Namor is going to let this go...

No I see this leading into yet another "climactic" series that is supposedly earth shattering.
  4. Darth_Daver Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Holy crap, that myspace/youtube rubbish is gonna haunt Marvel for years to come. What were they thinking? Trying to appeal to the new generation of readers or something?:rolleyes:

Iron Man is now basically Dr. Doom lite - they both honestly believe their actions are justified.

Journalists who discover the story of the decade, but hey - let's not print it. Literally unbelievable.

If the ending of the main series was a bit anti-climactic, at least it didn't defy all logic.
  5. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    If you look at the flow from Avengers: Dissasembles, House of M, and Civil War it can be viewd as one huge ongoing story: Without A:D there would be no House of M, without HoM and Decimation, there's no way the Registration Act would go through. Tens of thousands of mutans could potentialy join the anti-reg side. So way could pro-reg win in that situation. The only things I can think of that have been a return to the status quo is Hawkeye's return (but you can hardly make a big deal out of that, EVERYONE comes back to life at some point), three major mutants getting powers back (Iceman, Magneto, Polaris) and the New Avengers. But I mean c'mon, did you actually expect Marvel to just quit one of their classic titles? I guess only time will tell on how long this lasts. I personally like the idea of The Initiative and hope it lasts for years to come. There are tons of potential stories. Lots of new characters and the return of old forgotten ones as well. Marvel could do their own "52" book and each week highlight a different team.

As for The Other, that was a joke to begin with. What did that give us? Organic web shooters, and that's it.

Government sponsered superheroes are nothing new. (90's X-Factor for example) Lots of characters have worked for SHIELD or the government in the past. Remember that everone who has regiistered has done it of their own free will and knew the score before they signed up.

It makes sense that Ulrich and what's-her-name wouldn't publish the story. As of now, it was a rouge villian who attacked Atlantis. Tony can probably calm Namor down to avoid a war. (Despite the fact that Atlantis techinically invaded New York in Civil war #7) If word got out that Tony (and by extention the US government) was behind Osborn's attack, there would be no way to stop Namor and Atlantis.

In a way, I think that the ends justify the means for Tony.
  6. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Uh, organic webbing came from "Disassembled." "The Other" intensified his Spider-Sense, added the stingers and such.
  7. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    Ack you're right! Got them confused in my head. I knew there was some lame power that came out of The Other though. :p
  8. Soontir-Fel Force Ghost

star 5
    CW shows us exactly why we need Nick Fury. Without Nick Fury the whole world just goes to hell. The next Marvel event should just be Fury beating everyone who needs a good beating. Which at this point is pretty much everyone.
  9. FlareStorm Force Ghost

star 6
    lol I agree. Fury was the glue that kept stuff like this from happening.

I found a TPB called "Identity Disc" which revealed that SHIELD always had every hero and villain's secret ID. It puts a big hole in CW. I don't think its supposed to be totally cannon though.
  10. Spiderfan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Well the only "power" that originated from The Other were the stingers that seem to only play a factor when he is near death. Realistically the further enhanced Spidersense was more of an augmentation of an existing ability, and a power he should have already possessed.

Refresh my memory but wasn't the organic webbing already retconned? IIRC he has since been using his old webshooters. I could be mistaken.
  11. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    I don't think so. At least not in AMS or New Avengers. I don't read any other Spider-Man books (besides Ultimate) with any regularity though so it could have happened in "Friendly Neighborhood" or one of the others. How many ongoing Spidey books are there now anyway? His Wikipedia entry says "ability to produce both organic and synthetic spider-webbing" under his "Abilities" section. So it looks like both, although that could be needing an update.
  12. Spiderfan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I don't know what happened to Marvel Knights, but I know he has still Friendly Neighborhood, Amazing, Sensational and Ultimate at least and now family though I don't know if thats going to be in continuity or if its just going to reprint old issues.

Wasn't there something about the IronSpidey suit though that contained mechanical webshooters. Infact beyond the few months following Dissassembled I can't recall any mention at all of organic webshooters.
  13. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    Uh, was that the Doc I saw next to Luke Cage in the end of CW7? I guess he picked a side.
  14. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    Are you talking about the scene where Spidey shows up in his black costume? I think that was supposed to be a meeting of the "new" New Avengers, of which Dr. Strange is a member.
  15. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 9
    The following are solo Spidey books.

-Amazing
    -Friendly Neighborhood
    -Sensational which was Marvel Knights
    -Marvel Adventures (non canon)
    -Ultimate (Ultimate universe)
    -Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane (non canon)

The first Spider-Man Family one-shot was set in the 1991 timeframe of all the Marvel books, in order to put in 616 the Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends concept. Namely teaming up with Firestar and Iceman. The second one-shot is a separate story that doesn't connect to the 616, that I know of. Haven't read it. The first two issues, as far as I know, take place in continuity.

To date, organic webbing has been used and not his webshooters. Having looked it up on Wikipedia, which isn't quite reliable, there are no references to webshooters in the Stark Armor.

Correct. Spider-Man, Luke Cage, Wolverine, Iron Fist, Ronin II, Echo, Dr. Strange and Spider-Woman make up the New Avengers. They're the outlaws who refuse to register or were betrayed in some way.
  16. Soontir-Fel Force Ghost

star 5
    I like how Dr. Strange chose a side only when it was all over.

Oh, wait, no I don't.

That's stupid.
  17. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Like the Silver Surfer, it would be an unfair advantage to pick a side during the war. Both Cap and Tony were right. Look at how often the populace has turned on the Marvels in the past. Not just the Mutants, but the non-Mutants. The Avengers and the Fantastic Four were shunned as often as the X-Men and Spider-Man. This was the next logicial step.
  18. chiss_man Force Ghost

star 6
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/invidente7/civil_war_aargh.jpg]
  19. Soontir-Fel Force Ghost

star 5
    ******* Paul Jenkins.

Frontline was the worst part of CW

Other then, you know, everything else about it.
  20. RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus

star 7
    So now you have to connect to the younglings to be relevant. Forget that! I'm glad to know Captain America is a better man than that.
  21. StarscreamPrime Jedi Master

star 4
    As if there wasn't enough reason to hate the mess Marvel shoved down our throats with "Civil War", this little piece of aftermath just sickens me further than I'm already sick. I'm just angered and disappointed...

MAJOR SPOILER!!!
  22. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    Of all the things that have happened during the Civil War, this will be the one that gets undone first.
  23. r8hitman Force Ghost

star 4
  24. Soontir-Fel Force Ghost

star 5
  25. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    I guess now we know who the "Fallen Son" is.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.