main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph MARVEL CIVIL WAR

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Obi_Will_Kenobi, Mar 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Not according to The Initiative. He's still alive, being worked on. Granted, that might not last as long, but I gather this isn't permanent.

2. dudalb

dudalb Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2001

3. dudalb

Jun 14, 2001
    Oh,they will retcon the hell out of this. How can you tell when Marvel Management is lying?
    Their lips move.
    They say that everytime they have a big crossover event? And when sales go down because the fans don't like the changes they find a way,,,however silly..to get things back to normal.
    A lot of the younger fanboys are going to be disillusioned real soon,if not already.

4. dudalb

Jun 14, 2001
    Not that he will stay fallen long..not with Cosmic Frankie Richards around.

5. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    I guess they had Castle pick up Cap's mask for a reason.

6. dudalb

Jun 14, 2001
    Yeah,but the fans will reject Castle the way they rejected Ben Reilly as Spidey.
    It still amazes me that every ten years some bozo editor at Marvel gets the idea of trying to replace a Icon.It never works.You can get away with it with minor league characters,but not an Icon like Spidey and Cap. Bad idea.

7. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    People didn't seem to have a problem with Danny Rand filling in for Daredevil. DD isn't nearly as popular as Spidey or Cap though. He's B-List at best. If Frank does end up taking over the mantle of Captain America, it will be cool for only an arc or two. It would quickly loose it's flavor. We'll probably wind up with a "Return of Steve Rogers" event next year. :rolleyes:

8. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    I'm interested in seeing how this goes. I don't buy that he's dead for real.

9. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    I have a feeling that a recently returned cold character is more likely to be the fill-in. Especially given some of the preview details given out recently.

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I have a feeling Captain America will stay dead until the Captain America movie gets made, as they'll need Cap in the books to fully cash in on a movie release- and what better way than to be a big arc about his return?

I actually found Frontline to be the best CW title- I loved the non-super perspectives of most of the stories. It was more of the backbone to CW than the actual CW series, IMO. It's Frontline that drew me into the event fully and made me wish they could somehow pull together a TV miniseries of the whole saga or something...

...up until the end of the series. As was mentioned already, there's no way in hell those reporters would sit on that story, no way in hell. Tony deserved to have his balls nailed to the wall- what he accomplished was right, but how he accomplished it was dispicable. That and Pennace's creation were anticlimactic (I really wanted that kid to win out in the end- if anyone in the right was gonna come out of this saga with a happy ending, it shoulda been him), but then that was sort of the problem with CW as a whole- it never felt like it had an ending.

So, other than those issues with the resolution, I really loved Frontline- they should definitely continue it for future events. Makes for a good way to keep tabs on things without following every single title.

11. rebel_cheese

rebel_cheese Jedi Master star 4

Jul 6, 2006
    I personally don't think the Cap's death is necessarily a bad thing . . . if pulled off right. What if this is finally a superhero death . . . that remains permanent? How does it affect everyone? And the nature of the death . . .

Then again I accepted Chewie's and Anakin's deaths so I don't expect you guys to treat my opinion as valid. :p

Civil War is a remark about our current culture, life, and the political and military situation. The NJO/DN/LOTF line in SW could be viewed that away too, especially when factoring in the 'ends justify the means' stuff Jacen spouts off in DN, and the 'infidel' talk the Yuuzhan Vong spew in NJO.

The current situation is so volatile that it's leaking into our popular fiction, music, movies, etc. Remember that most artists, musicians, actors, and writers are liberals, too, and our President has pissed them off biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig time over and over.

12. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
  13. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    Tehre will be a front lines series with world war hulk. I liked 1/3 of frontlines, the Ben and sally story, i didn't like the other 2/3 of it. If you liked frontlines, you should read generation M, it's the introduction of Sally Floyd.

14. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    I don't think I could buy into Frank Castle as the new Captain America for long. Although I couldn't think of any better way to get Steve Rogers to roll over in his grave and then come looking for some undead vengeance than to have the Punisher tarnishing his good name. ;)

15. dudalb

Jun 14, 2001
    Nah,it's a super hero slugfest with some very shallow "social commentary" to make it seem more serious then it really is.
    It does'nt matter if Cap's death is valid or not artistically, you know damn well Steve Rogers will be back. It Jean Grey in X Men can be resurrected endless numbers of times I think they can manage a revival of one of their Iconic characters pretty easy.
    There is a reason that the Term "Comic Book Death" has become a joke.
    Anybody who thinks that this is anything but a stunt to booste sales and get Marvel some free Pub has not been paying much attention to the way Marvel and DC operate nowdays,going back to the "Death" of Superman.
    I am amazed anybody still beleives anything coming out of the Marvel PR department.

16. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I'm thinking that Punisher won't become Cap. Rather it'll be Winter Soldier.

17. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004

Ooooh Intriguing theory...

18. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Exactly what I think. Before the news broke of Cap's fate, all the previews spoke a lot about Bucky, Nick and Sharon and how much of a role they have in the stories of the coming months.

19. obi_webb

obi_webb Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2005
    i've not been very happy with marvel of late.. nothing like stupid changes just for the sake of trying to make some waves.. and it's been going on for awhile now.

the thing that disappoints me, is that brian micheal bendis is a good writer. paul jenkins is a good writer. mark millar is a good writer. what we've gotten of late from them though is well written garbage. trying to get some cheap mainstream publicity and as much of our money as possible.

i mean c'mon.. how many times lately have they had their "big event" books that have tie ins to seemingly every single title in the marvel universe? oh and maybe a few mini series so you can get the complete story! and possibly a few one-shots as well...

i just quit buying them. i buy the comics i normally buy. even if i don't understand fully what's happening. the only extra title i bought was the main civil war series itself.

enough is enough i say. but it seems like it's just gonna keep on going.....

20. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Which is the real cover to Punisher War Journal #7?

[image=http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o170/darth-ermac/PUNWARJ007.jpg]

Or...

[image=http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o170/darth-ermac/889new_storyimage3793928_full.jpg]

Images courtesy of Newsarama. Do note that the pic of Iron Man wearing red, blue and white armor while carrying Cap's sheild was a false image planted by Marvel to throw us off. Could this be another one?

21. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    The most critical part about that image is good GOD that's a horrible costume. Puts Red, White and Blue Iron Man to shame.

22. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    As long as this "Frank Castle as Captain America" business stays out of Ennis' Punisher, I don't care what happens.

23. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Are we back in the 90's again? Is Rob Liefeld drawing Punisher?

24. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Look at those gorilla arms. He looks like something out of Metal Slug.

25. dudalb

Jun 14, 2001
    " mean c'mon.. how many times lately have they had their "big event" books that have tie ins to seemingly every single title in the marvel universe? oh and maybe a few mini series so you can get the complete story! and possibly a few one-shots as well... "

I 100% agree,but have to note that DC is not any better in this regard.
    What makes it really bad is you know that 90% of the "big changes" will be undone by some phony plot device.Onslaught again anyone?
    THank heaven for the Ulitmate line.But with a lot of the crew who started it moving on,the question of maintaining quality will become a real question.And even the Ultimate line has had it's dissapointments: For me the Ulitmate Fantastic Four has never quite jelled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.