main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph MARVEL CIVIL WAR

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Obi_Will_Kenobi, Mar 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Wizard #174 has a preview comic that is supposed to be one of the catalysts for this whole Civil War

The New Warriors go up against some third string villians and screw up. The villian Nitro ends up blowing up in a playgound full of children.

2. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Yep that is supposed to be the catalyst. I didn't know it was a New Warriors book though.

3. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Another thing that's popped up is the Senate Hearings that were mentioned in the last Spiderman.

Does anyone think that the recent actions of the Hulk have had anything to do with this ?

4. Duro_Blade

Duro_Blade Jedi Master star 3

Jan 4, 2002
    Do we know who the "Ruthless Villain" is? For a second, I thought it was Magneto but I might be wrong. My friend that is a huge comic book junkie has been hyping this up for a long time. I'm actually looking forward to it.
    I also remember seeing "one wrong move", but last I heard The Illuminati were behind the civil war, or at least sparking it. [face_thinking]

5. razzy1319

razzy1319 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2004
    This is getting interesting!! is this a multi comic title series or will they be running a Marvel Civil war title? just asking because I'm just starting on comics and buying a multi title one is gonna be hard to keep track of if there are little known characters to follow.

6. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I believe that they're running it as a title, with a number of other comics tying into it.

7. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    This week's spiderman has a very intersting leadin to the event.

8. Obi_Will_Kenobi

Obi_Will_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 17, 2004
    What happened JediTrilo?

9. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Iron Man made Spidey a new costume, and they talked about trust issues. Spidey said basically he would back up Tony no matter what. The last panel Tony shows Spidey his summons to appear before congress on the issue of metahumans

10. weezer

May 16, 2001
    The FF tie in (which is a major component) came out today, anyone read that?

11. Obi_Will_Kenobi

Dec 17, 2004
    Thank you very much Flare!

12. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I did, although the New Avengers had a better leadin thingy, with Iron Man, Mr. Fantastic, Dr. Strange, and a couple others meeting throughout different times, and they realise that something big is happening, and you can really see the splits coming.

13. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Was that Benis's illuminati tie in?

14. Obi_Will_Kenobi

Dec 17, 2004
    So...now that you've all read it discuss the first issue of CIVIL WAR.

And for the sake of those who haven't read it yet, please hide your possible spoilers.

15. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Great opening issue, really enjoyed it. I won't post any spoilers, but did anyone really get the feeling that this has really been inspired by the aftermath of 9-11 and that this could be a worst case senario for Muslims in America?

16. razzy1319

razzy1319 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2004
    Very good comic.

Although I thought Shield trying to arrest CapAm was a pretty stupid and contrived just to put him with side he is taking. Amazing move by Cap though, landing on the plane and taking the pilot for a burger just made squee like a fanboy. :D

17. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    It was to show us, who haven't been keeping up to date with recent continuity developments within S.H.I.E.L.D. just how different of an organization it is without Fury. Fury would've never done that to Cap. He respects him too much. However, this new woman has no such sensibilities with the supers and especially not one with Cap. If anything(from how she seemed in this first issue), she seems like she wants to have a firmer control over the supers. She's not going to let the ones employed by her have a voice. They aren't her equals, they are her tools. She tried negotiating with Cap, but when his opinion differed from hers she quickly readies the tranqs.

So not only did that scene set up Cap's side of the line, it also set up a very different SHIELD without Fury. I hadn't seen much SHIELD minus Fury until this issue and I was surprised at how different it seemed. Don't know if any of this makes sense, it's just how my sleep deprived brain sees it at the moment.

Anyway, I loved this issue. Way better than I thought it would be. I just hope it can continue this momentum through all seven issues at the least. Not to mention all the crazy side stories.

Looking forward to see how the Runaways tie into this whole thing. Heard some good things about that comic and have just recently been getting into it. Now this. Same blasted thing with the New Avengers, just get into the comic and then BAM Speedball and his troupe of never-weres do something stupid. Oh, and may I add that I enjoyed practically the whole Marvel universe calling Speedball a colossal idiot the whole issue.

~*!~-~DOCTOR BEAR~-~!*~

18. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

I didn't care for it much at all, I'm afraid. A lot of simplistic dialog, a bit of bad dialog (Richards response to Patriot comes to mind), and only one really good scene (Cap escaping from SHIELD).

19. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Between this and Infinite Crisis, I wish one comic book event wouldn't start with killing a beloved group of C-listers.

20. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    Amen.[face_frustrated]

21. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Has Speedball appeared before?

And I was pretty surprised to see that Cap was going to be the one going against the government.

22. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Dammit Tril, we had such a good run with our mutual Hellboy love. Why are you making me hate you?

23. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

I actually am not surprised to see Cap against the government. He's more of a "do the right thing" than a "do what the government says" kind of guy at the end of the day. He's gone rogue before, becoming Nomad, when he was unhappy with the way that the nation was being run. Captain America isn't a follower, he's a leader, and like the founders of America he's willing to rebel against a corrupt or morally wrong government. That willingness to stand up for what's right is deeply embedded as a virtue in American (and English, for what matter) culture.

24. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    LOL!

I've actually only been reading comics for a year or so, and I haven't come across him. Same goes for Captain America, I'm waiting for a good arc to start where I can start picking up his stuff, like what I did with Daredevil earlier this year.

25. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Speedball and the New Warriors have been around for a while. They're not major players by any stretch of the imagination however. C-listers at best.

Speedball

New Warriors

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.