main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph MARVEL CIVIL WAR

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Obi_Will_Kenobi, Mar 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I'm only buying the main series and the x-men spin-off, but reading downloaded scans of virtually everything else. I simply couldn't afford it all, and this way if there is an amazing issue in one of the other series I can get it without opening it up and thinking 'yuk' with the art.

2. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    The X-Men ones are just about the only ones I haven't got.

I think I may keep up with C&D, mainly because I LOL at Deadpool. I doubt I'll be sticking with Wolverine or FF. New Avengers was OK though, and there's only one issue of Thunderbolts remaining.

When's that Punisher War Journal hit stands?

3. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I started off thinking that I wouild only buy the core books and leave the others alone. But, since I already read New Avengers and X-Factor every week I knew I would be picking those up so I might as well get a few more... Well, long story short, I've gotten every tie-in that I can find. Even She-Hulk, and I've never read a She-Hulk book before in my life.

4. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    The first printing of the she-hulk tie in is going for 18 at one of the local shops. The others don't even have ones to sell.

5. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    Today's comics provided some interesting information: Spoilers for all released Tie-ins today, of course.

In both Frontline and Wolverine, Namor showed up along with his Atlantean Sleeper Agents. Apparently they're mad that Namorita is one of the ones being blamed for Stamford. Imagine that.

In Amazing Spider-Man we saw Thing lift up one of the SHIELD vehicles, apparently this will be answered in Fantastic Four. And apparently it isn't what the reader is thinking. We also see that Peter is beginning to question Tony's side...and the motivation behind his giving Peter the new suit.

Luke Cage's banter with Daredevil, along with panel comparrisons of the Deadpool v Daredevil fight to one he had in a previous issue of Cable & Deadpool, and the announcement of Deja Vu, have all but confirmed that the imposter Daredevil is Iron Fist. Of course, this could be deliberate misleading.

And it appears Patriot shares his mentor's knack for following what he feels is the right choice. And Molly is just so darn adorable.

Okay, the last one wasn't much of a spoiler, but Molly is still adorable.

~*!~-~SHUT YOUR EVIL, EVIL PIE-HOLE~-~!*~

6. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

That She-Hulk issue is going to be quite the collectors item...

7. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Hmm, maybe I should peek at my LCS next time then to see if they have it. They usually have a lot of comics left over from past weeks.

I'm quite proud of myself. So far I'm only buying the main title and New Avengers. But I'm thisclose to adding Frontlines to that too. I'm weak. :(

8. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    And here I am stuck with the reprint like a sucker!

9. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Frontline is one of my personal faves actually.

The She-Hulk is the wedding one right? I skipped that and the Black Panther/Storm one, don't really care about them.

Interesting character return in Frontline #4 as well.

10. Obi_Will_Kenobi

Obi_Will_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 17, 2004
    I didn't know Frontline 3 and 4 came out almost simutaneously.

Argh...money, mony, money.

That which I don't have.

11. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    Blank Panther was a good one. It had a cool show down with cap and iron man. Also, marriage advice from Dr. Doom.

dkt

12. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Yeah, I ended up buying it because I flicked through and saw DOOM. Turned out to be good stuff.

Despite best efforts to the contrary, I've ended up buying everything [face_plain]

13. NJOfan215

May 17, 2003
    Hey DKT, good to see you man!

Maybe i'll have to pick up the black panther issue.

14. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    hey NJO, its been a while.

my wife just moved to a new salon and there is a Dark Tower Comics about three stores down. She gets %15 off becuase she works in the shopping center...and probalby becuase she is the only girl that goes in there. She actually has no self control and will come home with everything that says "civil war" and acts like i would be upset. Hah!

So, here's and idea..

who's side are you on? I've been trying to convince my brother that Cap is friggen awsome but he just thinks it boils down to liberals vs. conservatives.

dkt

15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I'm no expert on this, but one of the writers sort of said that it is liberls vs conservatives in some respect.

I have only read the main issues, I have no intention of getting every title, though in my case it wold have been a good way to start over after many years of not regularly collecting comics.

In this instance, in the manner in which Marvel characters operate, then I side with Captain America. However, Steve Jackson Games have a gameworld called GURPS Supers. In this setting they have what's called the I.S.T. which stands for International Super teams. They are superhero teams that are funded by the U.N. and they work as international peacekeepers. Secret identities can be kept from the general public, but it's really up to the hero to go public or not. There are private teams, there are individual operators, and they are allowed to do their superhero thing, but the IST makes up the bulk of superhero concentration.

In that sense Iron Man. But where he goes wrong is that it is being forced upon them. Just because of that alone I would side with Cap.

16. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Black Panter is horrible. Hudlin is the worst writer Marvel has right now.

I miss Christopher Priest.

17. NJOfan215

May 17, 2003
    Hudlin's issues of spiderman the other were good.

I'm not sure whose side i would be on if i were in the marvel universe. I think my stand would be similar to the thing's and to Luke cages also. The thing thinks registration is wrong, but also feels fighting aginast the goverment is wrong. Luke just wanted to be left alone, but they came for him. I think registration should be voluntary. If i had powers i would probably left the country. If the us doesn't want my help on my terms, ****'em, there are plenty of other places in the world that do.

Is Frontlines worth picking up?

18. JediMasterNicolas

JediMasterNicolas Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 4, 2005
    Is Issue 4 out? If so, can anyone recap what happened for me?

19. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I'm pretty sure CW#4 isn't out for another week and a half.

20. DarthPhelps

DarthPhelps Jedi Master star 5

Jan 31, 2002
    I say pick up Frontlines. There?s some good stuff there, such as what is happening with Speedball post-Stamford. On that matter ? I think Speedball is being a bit of a jerk. I?m having difficulty feeling sorry for the guy. Sure, it was Nitro who blew up the children, etc., not him, but the incident occurred due to his actions. He has some responsibility.

That leads in to my position. I can see both sides of the argument, but I tend to lean toward the Iron Man side. The scenario VadersLaMent lays out from that gameworld called ?GRUPS Supers? is ideal. Unfortunately, the Marvel world isn?t ideal. I think the underlying problem is that for many years in comics there?s an overall sense of allowance for heroes to operate somewhat ?above the law?. That isn?t always the case, I know; for example the Avengers is supposed to be part of the Government in some respect, right? In any case, on average a comic has a fight, there?s destruction and then the villain either escapes or is caught and we move on to the next battle.

The destruction during one of these battles often is left unaccounted for: economic impact on community, loss of innocent lives, etc. What I love about Civil War is that this aspect of what could happen should ?supers? spar is evaluated & dissected to a degree.

I think one of the underlying assumptions of the Captain America position is that people with super abilities have an unalienable right to use them against criminals/super-villians. It brushes up with the batman-esque vigilante debate. Being a sort of vigilante justice, I think that this position is problematic.

I don?t believe that those that register should have to expose themselves to the public (and I don?t think that it is required in Civil War), nor do I think that S.H.I.E.L.D. should be arresting ?costumes? just because they didn?t register (an aspect of the Iron Man side I disagree with); but those that don?t register would have a higher risk to face if they screw up, whereas those that do register have the government to take the flak.

21. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    The minute S.H.I.E.L.D decides that it can just burst into your house and arrest you because you've decided not to register and just stay at home, is the moment that the act and everything about it is so fundementally flawed that there is no saving it. What was the justification for attacking Captain America? The law wasn't in effect, and he had broken no other laws. And the fact that Nitro was being aided by government officials should tell you that there is something not right in the government.

22. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    Something that was brought up in New Avengers #23 is: What if the people with powers don't want to fight? For either side? Anyone who sides with Iron Man seems forced to fight and track down the people who haven't registered. Iron Man's only response was something along the lines of "We'll look into that". (I can't remember exactly what it was but it was very nocommital.) This is an aspect which bothers me the most. At what point did someone's powers becomet the property of the U.S. government? This is especially bothersome, IMO, for mutants who were born with their powers and didn't recieve them from any outside source like the government (i.e. Captain America).

Before Civil War started I was definetly on Iron Man's side but the more I read the less I agree with his side and the more I feel for Cap and the others.

23. DarthPhelps

DarthPhelps Jedi Master star 5

Jan 31, 2002
    Soontir-Fel & Darth-Lando: that is the aspect that most bothers me about the Iron Man side of the issue as well (embedded within my previous post).

Could you elaborate on the government?s involvement with Nitro? I haven?t been able to pick up all Civil War variant issues, so I will likely miss out on various tidbits of info.

I did notice that they were there with Osborn when he saw the Spider-Man unmasking on T.V. I was quite curious to know what that was about.

24. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    Nitro is a wanted man hiding out in Northern California. The Wolverine books are dealing with him hunting him down and aparently the government is also after him (but doing a very poor job of it). You would think that Nitro would be the most wanted man in America but since Speedball is in custody there is no public outcry as they already have a scapegoat. Frankly, I think Nitro being brought to justice might be Speedballs only hope.

Wolverine #44 Spoilers

Namor is after Nitro as well since he was responsible for the death of Namorita, a member of the Atlantian royal family. Wolverine #44 ended with a standoff between Nitro, Wolverine, and Namor (along with a few other Atlantians).

25. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    That was New Avengers 22, and it was Jessica Jones that brought it up.

I don't mind the registering with the government thing (similar thing to gun control to me.) But basically having a compulsory draft for a single section of the population shouts 'wrong' to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.