main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars (Marvel) #1: Skywalker Strikes, part 1 (of 6)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ordo Skirata, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Why have none you even mentioned this?

[​IMG]

2. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
  3. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yes, but that's just a cheapo copy, this is a deluxe, oversized hardback - it has deeply lovely puppy eyes and looks absolutely adorable! $125 is cheap! Now hand over the money!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    What was the reason again that Dark Horse could not keep Star Wars?

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, who cares G*? Look at these cute kittens:

[​IMG]

Now go buy Marvel Star Wars Omnibus x2 at £95 RRP a piece!

* DHC lacks the sheer mercenary outlook and balls to try and charge $125 a time. Instead they do Absolute-style hardbacks for $50. They just weren't sufficiently commercial!

Force Smuggler likes this.
  8. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Because Disney owns Marvel? ;)
    I suppose if they had a deal like Universal has, they could've gone on making Legacy comics.

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    To be fair, DHC did do that awesome Luke Skywalker hardcover omni for, I believe,$99- but that sucker was leather bound, etc. wish they had done more like that.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yep, slipcased, sewn binding, thick paper.

I can pretty much assure you Quest, in a contest of production values, on an OHC-sized hardback, DHC will, in the great majority of cases, kick the crap out of Marvel!

Especially given the reduction in quality on Marvel's OHC/Omnibus line over the last 18 months or so.

Gorefiend likes this.
  11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't doubt you at all.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Don't quite understand how DHC afford to issue the stuff they do at the price points opted for but it's great that they do!

13. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Yep, because Marvel was once a again heading for finical disaster and it is still not their comics making the true money. ;)

14. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Amazing how that second point misses people that insist that Legacy had to be ended in order to make way for the movies.
    As far as my original statement, Disney would've never let another company continue with the license when they owned one themselves - which was probably also the reason for the abrupt ending of CWAS.
    Again, it's too bad that DHC didn't have a similar arrangement with LFL that Universal had with Marvel; they could still be putting out Legacy comics now.

15. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    You would not have had to kill one to do the other, but they just felt they needed to, because they apparently could not get a script good enough to make it work or more likely could not be bothered to.

Along with it apparently being a hemorrhaging drain of capital

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think it's a safe bet Disney would have bought out DHC's contract if that were the case- and I think it'd be a safe bet that DHC would accept that offer and invest in new/existing properties rather than deal with a hostile licensee relationship.

17. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    It's a moot point - DHC would've never had the clout that Universal does to get a 'in perpetuity' contract to begin with. I'm just amused that Disney finds itself with one of its properties being one of the more popular attractions at its main competitor locally.
    But I do find corporate licensing strictures puzzling - similar to WOTC's sudden in-rush of the (various successful) licenses with 4th Edition, especially since they effectively sat on most of them. Like putting all the eggs in one AAA basket for the Lucasarts license instead of spreading it around various companies is odd. Unless, I suppose, you're cynical enough to think it might have just been backroom deals and kickbacks rather than what was actually best for LFL/Disney, much less consumers.

18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Went to my Local Comic Shope today, picked up me books, and dutifully added "Star Wars" to my pull list. then I got into a conversation with the owner about how many comics he has to order to get the variant covers. It's a hellova lot which, suffice to to say, he certainly isn't going to order over 50 books, and if you order 50 copies you're still not gonna get all the alt covers. Guy dug out a book and everything, can't remember the exact numbers but something like the alternate Alex Ross cover only comes 1 in every 20 issues, Joey Q's cover is one in 50, Joey Q's sketch variant is like a 1 in 100 and a sketch variant Alex Ross cover is like 1 in 200! And the Scottie Young cover is something really random and absurd, if they ordered a bunch of Marvel's Original Sin #8 yadda yadda yadda (I heard the word "200%" thrown around there, I'm not kidding!) then they can order a bunch o Scottie Young covers. And a partridge in a pear tree. Or whatever.

Suffice it to say, if someone has notions of actually getting every single cover, forget it. Make peace with it now. The comic shope has to literally get in cases of Star Wars #1 to get one alternate cover. Or, if you must, either grab a wad of cash, stuff it in a trash bag, run down to your local comic book shop, and get into an indepth conversation about how you're going to personally pay for the probably over 200 copies of "Star Wars #1" they have to order so you can get all the variants. Fun times!

Valin__Kenobi and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  19. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Geez. If someone was going to go to those lengths, might as well print an alt cover on a glossy scanner and fit it over the cover of a normal copy. Then put it behind a glass case so any comic-connoisseur buddies that stop by can't tell the difference.

20. Captain RX

Captain RX Jedi Master star 2

Jul 30, 2014

because the CEO of the Walt Disney Company believes they should be published in house for superior quality control

21. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    He has not been reading his own comics, has he?

22. trekker28

trekker28 Jedi Master

Oct 16, 2008
    I'm looking forward to the new content coming out from Marvel in January. The last star wars comics I read were the Tales of the Jedi and X-wing series from Dark Horse. That's how long I've been out of the star wars comics collecting world. I'm looking forward to this fresh start.

23. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Man, I am still super unenthusiastic about this title, or really any of the announced ones. Reading the interview Ben posted drove that point home with the creative staff asked how big a Star Wars fan they were, and them talking about how much they love the movies and the podcasts and their zany hipster ukele covers but hadn't actually read any of the books or comics. To be honest I also wouldn't be really interested in this series if DH was doing it (see: Star Wood) but at least that would have a chance to be something other than an excuse to tread water until Episode 7 by spamming the pages with as many movie-only characters and planets possible.

24. shingi_70

shingi_70 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 24, 2014
    I'm looking forward to this new series as someone who barley read the old EU, but I hope John Cassidy is only on for one story arc.

25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Hell, I'll be surprised if Cassiday finishes the single arc. On a monthly schedule!