main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars (Marvel) #1: Skywalker Strikes, part 1 (of 6)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ordo Skirata, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    If they want to focus on the time between TPM and AOTC then fine. I'm interested in finding out more about this era. Enough of the Clone Wars era.

anguirus2003 likes this.
  2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Wait?! Hutt Caravel?! God darn it, I might actually have to pick it up just for that.

No not really, but then we also did not figure that Star Wood would be as terrible as it got.

Actually I think he is going to set fire to it.

3. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    And we haven't been getting post-ANH / pre-ESB stories for even longer?

4. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Well, I'll concede that they may end up telling unique stories and situations that haven't been told a hundred times before, and I think that --

"we're getting to do brand new versions of those big moments like Luke Skywalker's quest to find answers about his father and learn what it means to be a Jedi, and Darth Vader's pursuit of whoever it was that blew up the Death Star, which leads to him hearing that name Skywalker for the first time." -Aaron

[face_plain]

Well, at least there's this:

"...there won't be any Luke and Leia kissing." - Aaron

... but then there's this:

"The feeling is that they dazed the Empire a little bit and now it's time to go for the knockout punch. They're ready to step things up. This is them launching more surprise attacks." - Aaron

5. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    We also have to think about the role the spin-off films will play in all this. Disney is going to want to make each one of the spin-offs into a mini-multimedia franchise. So we are going to get comics and tie-in novels for each of those too. The announcements yesterday could very much a guard against eventual over saturation.

This is the way Disney may be looking at it; a random comic set in the post-RotJ period, or the dark times, or even the old republic can hurt the overall franchise in two ways. 1) It could potentially limit the decisions larger media can make in the future. Disney wants to retain a single canon status for all its media, but it won't allow for a comic to be limiting to a potential blockbuster. The result is that the blockbusters will lead the comics so that Disney won't have to de-canonize anything down the road. 2) They won't want to create too much competition within a single brand before that brand has proven it can dominate popular culture again. Disney wants the franchise to retain tight focuses. It wants different forms of media to compliment each other rather than distract.

By 2016 we will probably see things starting to branch out again, and if Rebels does well that will probably give us plenty of dark times tie-in media. Disney is taking a slow and steady approach that makes sense on a number of different levels.

darklordoftech likes this.
  6. SomethinSomethinDarkSide

SomethinSomethinDarkSide Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 19, 2013
    The answers these authors give are almost adorable.

VanishingReality likes this.
  7. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    So most times this period has been the Rebels constantly looking for a new base? Instead what if the Rebels found a new base in the first arc and kept it until the end of the series. From there they kept raiding Imperial bases and gaining ground. Maybe they begin to get more bold and attack key ship yards and start planning a campaign to move into the core. Then they suffer a series of defeats that eventually ends with the Empire attacking the Rebel base. From there they evacuate and find Hoth. The last arc could be them staging a few raids that range from barely successful to failures. Of could end with the Empire narrowing their search to the Hoth system.

The series could introduce a revolving cast of secondary characters who can die in raids or attacks on rendezvous locations/in transit due to interdictors-- I'm sure those will stay in canon.

8. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd like to see a couple arcs similar to the one in Rebellion where Luke and Leia end up at Imperial refueling station.
    The one after the Janek 'Tank' Sunber arc I think.

9. Scrubbed

Scrubbed Jedi Master star 1

Feb 1, 2006
    Sorry it was a bit late.

Disney is the writer and Disney is deciding to wipe everything then copy stuff they already wrote.

Just because comics have a long history of doing bad things doesn't make it okay.

If copyright law didn't shield most comics from competition most of the companies making them would be long dead. Virtually all of the comic book series that I've heard of started long before I was even born and have rewritten themselves several times. Honestly, copyright law seriously needs rewritten for Entertainment. Infinity works should be able to be freely copied but not altered or added to after 15 years. Works that are retconned out of relevancy may be used or sold by anyone provided 10 years has past since the creation and the majority of the work is used. Thus, if you do a rewrite you open yourself to competition which provides actual consequences for brands that commit bad actions.

The thing is with the current wipe the number of rational reasons for liking Star Wars are dropping at least for me. I'm at the wrong age for it to be honest. I'm too young to have fond memories of the OT. I'm old enough however to have read a massive number of Star Wars books most of which until recently included little to no major force usage. As a result, much of the Clone Wars is much less interesting to me because it frequently includes heavy usage of the force. It may seem ironic for a Star Wars fan to not really like the force much but that's honestly been my experience with most major uses of it. Personally, I thought the PT was enjoyable but, that doesn't make it good and many of the directions the clone wars took it in made it worse in my view. So, the majority of the current cannon doesn't appeal. The removal of content from cannon wiped out 20+ characters I liked and instead of replacing them we get the characters they already used very heavily. Unless they have a major audience I am unaware of that the old EU scared off that really want to hear more about Han, Luke, Leia, and Chewie the audience they have before is the audience they have now.

10. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    So... political correctness.

As Luke fancied Leia. That's clearly evident in ESB. Luke kissing Leia is entirely in character.

Is there an "eww" factor to it? You bet there is! That's what makes it rather entertaining to the reader, knowing that he's kissing his sister and being able to snicker, aware that he's going to find this out one day. The fact the author is already ruling out doing it even before the series starts is... kinda limiting himself even before he begins, surely?

11. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
  12. SomethinSomethinDarkSide

SomethinSomethinDarkSide Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 19, 2013
    I really don't need to see them making out even more. It's already awkward.

13. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004

Since everyone knows they're brother and sister it would almost seem demeaning to the characters to have them snogging. I mean, maybe a little confusion about how they feel about each other with Han being jealous is one thing, but them actually kissing, at this point, is just setting the characters up to be laughed at. Which isn't really a great thing for authors to set out to do.

Riv_Shiel and Revanfan1 like this.
  14. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    I kind of got the impression from that scene in ESB that that was the first time they ever kissed anyhow. People who are constantly kissing tend not to make that big of a deal of a single kiss like Luke did when Leia kissed him.

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    First big kiss - there's a peck on the cheek when they swing across the chasm on the Death Star.

16. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005

Oh that one. I wouldn't necessarily call that a real kiss. That was more like a friendly kiss. In fact I think that was more of a Mark and Carrie kiss as that wasn't even in the script as I recall (Mark and Carrie could have been making out every single day for all we know).

17. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    It's not that I want to see them kiss, it's that being told in advance that it's not going to happen has already robbed any future scenes of their sexual tension.

Basically... I don't like my character development being spoiled in advance?

Force Smuggler likes this.
  18. Darth_Xeres

Darth_Xeres Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 3, 2010
    Like others, I don't blame Marvel for wanting to play it safe and conservative with their first Star Wars comics. Yes, a blank slate canon-wise means they could have picked, say, the PT era or some other era in the distant past (let's face it, there's no way we're getting comics set in or near the ST era before Ep VII comes out), and some might see it as Marvel being fearful of doing anything bold. However, it could also be that the Story Group told Marvel that only the OT era is currently open for story development, simply because the Story Group hasn't developed eras other than the OT and PT enough to allow creators to explore them just yet.

If Marvel is still publishing only OT/PT era comics in 3-4 years, then yes, I believe we could then rightfully accuse them of fearfulness and of failing to live up to Dark Horse's legacy. But for now, I'm content with OT comics, especially now that I can have some degree of confidence that those comics will be fully canon and that the stories they tell and plot points they address won't be retold in a few years.

19. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004

Am I the only one who always saw there being nothing between Leia and Luke? Even from the beginning it was clear, through the age old trope of fighting and opposites attract, that she was into Han and vice versa.

She treated Luke like a little brother ever since ANH...look at how she wraps him in a blanket...sorry, even as a kid that screamed "friend" to me.

The kiss in ESB was clearly her messing with Han, and by the end of ESB it's clear who she loves (it was clear when she kissed Luke that she was just going for jealousy).

One of the things that made Luke so OOC in Star Wood was just how petulant he was being about Leia when Han had far, far more reason to act that way.

Trip, Revanfan1 and Visitant like this.
  20. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I am to about said era. I nfact I think it has potential for a future animation series. Either way, I want to see more of a world in which the Jedi exist in peace time, there is not a galactic war going on (though there would still be local wars), and a time in which there is not conflict between sith and jedi (though other types of darksiders could still show up). If we got a comic series, or a future tv series set in this time period, I hope we get to see Obiwan carry his master's blade for a bit. Also there should not be any foreshadowing of Vader when it comes to portraying young Anakin unlike his portrayals in AoTC, TCW, and RoTS.

21. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    All of the development that laid the groundwork for Anakin to act the way he does AOTC-forward is basically untold right now. Show me it!!!

22. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    A possible PT-era comic that I'd enjoy would be something that featured whoever Max von Sydow is playing, who provided he's not a clone or some rapidly aged darksider, would have been alive that far ago, meaning they could be giving us a ST tie-in without us even realising it-- which would be pretty neat when we're later watching the film, and suddenly realise: "Oh, wait... that's!!!"

I'll forgive the generic format of having another Post-Yavin story if they did something similar there, too, as they could so easily set up some future characters without us knowing [Joe] is going to turn out to be [Jim's] father.

23. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    It comes across very differently in the radio drama, though....

Zorrixor likes this.
  24. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I agree that would be a fun series
    Hopefully they make one eventually. It would be a good way to do the PT era without doing the Clone Wars, which has been over done (granted, I do want an ROTS lead in). I'd love seeing Anakin's apprenticeship and his growing relationship with Obi-Wan.

25. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Throw in the fact Leia wasn't originally going to be Luke's sister and for George "Anakin, you're breaking my heart!" Lucas, Luke's interactions with Leia were the acts of two starcrossed romantics. :p