main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Marvel Comics on the Timeline?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by BobaKareu, Dec 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobaKareu

BobaKareu Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 24, 2005
    I recently got the first TPB of the Marvel Comics "Doomworld, A Long Time Ago Vol. 1" and I'm very curious as to where exactly the stories take place. Of course, the first six are re-telling the movie (albiet, a different Jabba, etc) but I was curious as to how this is inserted into the timeline, especially with Classic Star Wars telling from the end of ANH to ESB (at least, thats what I've been told).

Also interestingly, the intro to the book makes it completely clear that the stories are not "in continuity," yet Lumiya is introduced here and will be a villain in the upcoming Legacy series. Huh?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated (I have my SW lit arranged by the timeline, so I hate not knowing where to put this one).

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>I recently got the first TPB of the Marvel Comics "Doomworld, A Long Time Ago Vol. 1" and I'm very curious as to where exactly the stories take place. Of course, the first six are re-telling the movie (albiet, a different Jabba, etc) but I was curious as to how this is inserted into the timeline, especially with Classic Star Wars telling from the end of ANH to ESB (at least, thats what I've been told).<<

The first 6 months or so after Yavin are very active months as far as the amount of stories that occur within it. The Marvel comics and Classic SW series. For the most part, the first volume or two of Marvel occurs, then the Classic SW series (with a 3 year break between the escape from Yavin and arrival on Hoth). With the rest of the Marvels scattered around or after that.

If you're looking as to how to put it on your shelf in relation to the CSW series and other OT era comics, (ignoring the film adaptations) it *roughly* breaks down to this:

-Empire Volume 3: The Imperial Perspective
    -Classic Star Wars- A Long Time Ago... Volume 1: Doomworld
    -Classic Star Wars Volume 1: In Deadly Pursuit
    -Classic Star Wars- A Long Time Ago... Volume 2: Dark Encounters
    -Vader's Quest
    -Classic Star Wars Volume 4: The Early Adventures
    -Classic Star Wars Volume 2: The Rebel Storm
    -Classic Star Wars Volume 3: Escape to Hoth
    -Empire Volumes 4-7
    -River of Chaos
    -Classic Star Wars- A Long Time Ago... Volume 3: Resurrection of Evil
    -Classic Star Wars- A Long Time Ago... Volume 4: Screams in the Void
    -Classic Star Wars- A Long Time Ago... Volume 5: Fool's Bounty
    -Shadows of the Empire
    -Mara Jade: By the Emperor's Hand
    -Classic Star Wars- A Long Time Ago... Volume 6: Wookiee World
    -Classic Star Wars- A Long Time Ago... Volume 7: Far, Far Away
    -Shadows of the Empire: Evolution
    -XW:RS, etc etc

>>Also interestingly, the intro to the book makes it completely clear that the stories are not "in continuity," yet Lumiya is introduced here and will be a villain in the upcoming Legacy series. Huh?<<

Up until a few years ago, the canon-status of the Marvel series was questionable, with it being treated as "sorta continuity"- a lot of that due to them being so difficult to acquire prior to these reprints. At the time the intro for the first volume was written, that policy was still in effect, but was changed by time it was actually published and since then there have been much more cocnerted efforts to ensure they are tied into continuity. The latest, and probably most significant, being Lumiya's upcoming appearance in LOTF.

3. BobaKareu

BobaKareu Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 24, 2005
    Ah, thanks very much for the help! Do you happen to know where Classic Star Wars: Devilworlds fits into that? I've heard it isn't collected anywhere, so I guess it doesn't necessarily have to take place anywhere in time near the others.

4. _ViE_AcheRoN_

_ViE_AcheRoN_ Jedi Youngling star 3

May 3, 2003
    Devilworlds is Infinities. But like all Infinities, certain aspects of it sometimes become canon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.