main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Princess Leia (Marvel) #1, part 1 (of 5)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Zorkel567, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006

One of the first things Leia did after ANH in published material was pilot a Y-Wing in Splinter of the Mind's Eye... which was Lucas' "plan B" if he couldn't make another theatrical Star Wars. He was going to do that as a TV movie.

Iron_lord likes this.
  2. The Extreme Moderate

The Extreme Moderate Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jun 30, 2005
    All this talk about Leia and how/why she is Princess brought back memories of this old gem from Allston's Rebel Stand.

Rebel Stand; pg. 64:

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    There's still scope for an Ascendency Contention -- the Antilles are film characters after all. They're just names at the moment, but they could easily just import their EU identity.

4. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I know that, but I still think the creation of Queen Breha made things pointlessly complicated. Had Bail's wife been the Minister of Education, as was mentioned in the ROTJ novel, it would have been way simpler and more logical. I can't even understand how a arranged marriage between House Antilles and House Organa could actually solve the contention--after all, as soon as Breha married Bail, she became an Organa, and thus I don't get how that would satisfy the Antilles. Let's face it, the pre-ROTS explanation wrought by the Expanded Universer was way simpler: Alderaan was governed by a Viceroy, supported by the High Council of Alderaan, and he or she was chosen from one of the Alderaanian royal families.

5. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Simple: Alderaani men take their wives' names at marriage. Bail Antilles of Episode I IS Bail Organa, before he married Queen Breha Organa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barriss_Coffee and Gamiel like this.
  6. Tinwe

Tinwe Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 20, 2012
    I mostly choose to ignore the fact that "viceroy" and "king" don't really mean the same thing and proceed with the assumption that Bail more or less *was* the king of Alderaan, just not called such because of... some constitutional quirk, maybe?

There's still the question of whether the position of viceroy was hereditary or not, to which the Legendsverse doesn't give a definite answer. I sort of favor the former interpretation, because by ANH the Organas were supposed to have been the ruling family of Alderaan for who knows how many generations, and there's kind of no point to that if the Viceroy (the actual ruler of Alderaan) is not one of them and can be changed willy-nilly. Unless the Viceroy was more like a prime minister sort of figure... But then the Ascendancy Contention makes no sense, because it implies that there was a line of succession to the position. [face_dunno]

We'll never know, I guess. It's fun speculating, nonetheless.
    While this clearly wasn't the case in the Legendsverse, it would indeed be a simple and elegant solution. I'd also love to hear LelalMekha's theory, but I guess that would mean derailing this thread even further. :)

7. Captain RX

Captain RX Jedi Master star 2

Jul 30, 2014

If Bail Organa is Bail Antilles then he would have to be much older than he looks in Episode II. I think it was Lucas's intent to make Antilles a common name from Alderaan and give a more emotional punch for Captain Antilles and Wedge Antilles to be in the Rebel Alliance. I know in the original canon Wedge was Corellian but it seems like Lucas decided later that he's from Alderaan.

8. Tinwe

Oct 20, 2012
    Well, there's no reason why Antilles couldn't be a common last name on both Alderaan and Corellia – sort of like the GFFA version of Smith or Jones.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  9. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    Jimmy Smits was 50 when Episode III came out. Given this is a galaxy where fourteen year olds become elected queens and 16 year olds become military leaders, I don't think it's that far-fetched for Bail Organa (née Antilles) could be nominated for (and lose, mind you) the Chancellery at the age of 37.

10. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    This seems so obvious, yet excellent.

Valin__Kenobi and Jedi Princess like this.
  11. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    I like the idea of a matriarchal Alderaan. Especially the portrayal of a positive matriarchy; so often in sci-fi/fantasy (and the EU for that matter), "matriarchy" becomes code for "women are dominatrices to miserable men." It's silly and fetishistic and misogynist.

12. Tinwe

Oct 20, 2012
    I've been entertaining a theory of a matriarchal Alderaan myself. That would explain why some EU sources refer to the House of Organa as "Queen Breha's house" (even though she was an Organa through marriage, not by birth), why Breha seems to be the sovereign, and why Bail says in ROTS that he and his wife have "always talked of adopting a baby girl." Why would the child's gender matter? It could be that they just preferred girls to boys, but considering that any child of theirs becomes the heir of the royal family, it makes sense that they'd want to adopt a girl on a matriarchal planet.

Iron_lord, Gamiel and Jedi Princess like this.
  13. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006

By the Force, if they did that it would be a hugely missed opportunity to dovetail with Courtship....

14. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    You mean that book where Mon Mothma tries to sell Princess Leia to the prince of an allegedly matriarchal culture whose women we never see?

Pass.

15. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Well, technically we only see like three people from there to begin with, and only Isolder is male.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    [face_laugh]

Yes, that would nearly dispose of it, wouldn't it?

I'm kind of amused by the matriarchal Alderaan theory, because it's a big flip on the EU that actually works with what we already know in canon. It especially puts some interesting overtones on ANH. While I'm strongly in favor of overturning Imperial sexism, there's always the scope for individual chauvinism. And what if Tarkin -- far from being Mr. Equal Opportunity Moff as seen with Daala -- had gripes about Alderaanian culture? His attitude towards Leia is fairly paternalistic -- more so than it already is, I mean.

17. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    Who do we write to to make this canon? :)

Iron_lord likes this.
  18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Latino Review. They'll spread it to all the news sites, and everybody will be forced to see it as canon.

19. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    No joke, I might actually be able to get in touch with Mark Waid, but given the lead time on comics, my guess is he's already writing the third or fourth issue by now (if he doesn't have the entire thing in the can already). :p

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    If you have the connections, it doesn't hurt. This is how we get things done -- I mean, flippin' Ben Skywalker was born when he was thanks to these forums. And our influence on comics, novels, and reference books is well-known. We have to start over now, but still -- Lit shouldn't give up on affecting canon.

And then you can walk around telling people that you made sense of Alderaan in canon. Talk about a feather in the hat.

Edit: of course, the dark side of that is canon Conan -- which might still be canon? If so, I'd be disgusted. Guess we'll find out in Tarkin.

Iron_lord likes this.
  21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Solicit text:

Normally I like Young's covers but this one I can't look at and not think Leia looks like an evil dwarf!

[​IMG]

On the other hand, this variant is pretty damn devastating:

[​IMG]

And then there is a classic photo cover:

[​IMG]

I'm expecting the Waid-Dodson team to really hit this one all the way into orbit!

Barriss_Coffee and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  22. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I think I'm more looking forward to this than Star Wars and Darth Vader! This has the potential to feel new instead of being a retread of what we had recently. This has alot of variants too, surprise surprise.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  23. maychild

maychild Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 16, 2013
    This is long overdue. Leia was, is, and always will be the premier heroine of SW, even if Legends has tried to shunt her aside in favor of various original characters, who were always (MUCH) more beautiful and/or more regal and/or better fighters and/or better wives and mothers and/or better Jedi and/or stronger in the Force and/or better at kicking butt than Leia while Leia "sighed helplessly" and actually told said OCs, "You're a braver person than I am."

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  24. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  25. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    Hmm, not sure how I feel about the art, but it made me realize something...
    ...Chewie probably doesn't get a medal in this continuity. :(