main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Princess Leia (Marvel) #1, part 1 (of 5)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Zorkel567, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    DelRiego and Riv_Shiel like this.
  2. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Aw. :(

On the plus side, I do look forward to seeing Leia interact with a new female rebel pilot, and at least Winter has been brought to the writers attention if she had not been before.

I'm also intrigued about why she is on Sullust... could she be seeking a place for Alderaan refuges to hide? The underground caverns of Sullust could be a good spot to avoid the Empire.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  3. maychild

maychild Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 16, 2013
    Happily surprised! I hope this is a harbinger for the continued refusal to bring in Legends character to the new EU.

4. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    How sad. Yet, not bringing Legends characters in is better than distorting the ones we know. I like Winter. :)

5. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    Maybe we'll get a reference that her code name on a mission was "Winter." Conversely, it would be hilarious if her actual, legal name it "Targeter."

6. The_Forgotten_Jedi

May 12, 2010
    o_O

Someone clearly has not read Tarkin. Also, why would you not want awesome Legends characters to make the transition?

7. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Presumably because she doesn't want Mara anywhere near the new canon.

cdgodin, Revanfan1 and Force Smuggler like this.
  8. maychild

Jan 16, 2013
    I don't want any of the Legends characters near the new canon, but especially not Mara.

I don't. She was the first in an endless series of Sues who were better/more beautiful/kewler than Leia. And before you ask, no, I do not expect Leia, or any of the rest of the canon characters, to be the best at everything, all the time. That would be boring. However, it is just as boring to see the canon characters be upstaged by every new character they meet, and being turned into incompetent doofuses so as to better enable the new characters to shine, as was always the case in Legends.

All the canon characters were distorted so as to accommodate the Legends characters, particularly the authors' various pets. I hope the new canon will do better with integrating new characters, but it probably won't.

WHAT awesome Legends characters?

9. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    ...seriously. You do know that the whole point of Winter was that she was basically Leia-lite, only with an eidetic memory? :rolleyes:

10. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Wow, Maychild you're entitled to your views but not everyone shares them and I wasn't going to ask/say but thanks for assuming. :) I think many read in their own biases and blame the writers/characters.

Awesome EU characters: Gliad, Talon, Dorsk 81, Streen, Calista (yes, I said it), Voss Prack and several others. I know many like Thrawn and Mara too.

11. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Plenty of awesome legends characters. What are you saying, in over 20 years of EU books and comics you didn't like any of the characters? That's just silly.

12. maychild

Jan 16, 2013
    Don't flatter yourself, Cush. ;) I was pre-emptively answering the question that always gets asked, by someone, whenever I talk about how every original character in Legends is better/kewler/etc. than one of the canon characters at something, or in the case of Mara, better at everything than everybody. Said question is always some variant of: "What, do you think that the canon characters are going to be the best at everything in a galaxy of trillions?"

I started out liking some of them. But even the ones I liked got turned into unbearable Sues/Stus very swiftly. And none of them qualified as "awesome." They were OK.

Leia-lite? Try, "more beautiful and regal than Leia could manage on her best days...she'd lost count of the times that, as children, people had assumed Winter was in fact the Princess Leia."

13. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Wasn't doing anything of the sort. :p

14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Much as I like a great many Legends characters, no, I don't want them suddenly turning up in the new stuff.

15. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Not to fond of it either. Well aside from Screed who already made it back somehow in Tarkin, though I guess more by virtue of everyone just having given up on that novel and no one editing him out. ;)

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Who? (Someone sling the GotG pic into this thread!)

17. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Terrinald_Screed
    [​IMG]

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Blimey, that's obscure!

Gorefiend likes this.
  19. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Hmm. Which book was that from?

And yes, Winter's biggest role was that of Leia's body double. "More than Leia could manage on her best days" is a bit much I'll admit, but usually Winter is portrayed as a way more down-to-earth type character that people love, but none of them really consider her better than Leia.

20. The_Forgotten_Jedi

May 12, 2010
    Well, Winter for one, but you've made your dislike of her clear. While I like Mara, I don't have any hope of her getting into the new canon.

Mostly I'm thinking of characters from the X-Wing series: Face, Ton Phanan, Kell Tainer, Tyria Sarkin, Wes Janson, Hobbie, Tycho, Ibtisam, Nrin Vakil, Kapp Dendo, are all characters who spring to mind that could enter into the new canon easily.

Also plenty of film characters (like the Rebel generals from all three OT films) could have their backstories reestablished and could be potentially used much more effectively than I think they were in the LEU.

21. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
  22. maychild

Jan 16, 2013
    Try the first book of the Thrawn Trilogy, which Legends fans and Mara fans practically regard as a sacred text. In fact, it appeared within the first five or six pages of said book.

Obviously they did, otherwise they wouldn't have assumed she was really Leia when they were growing up. And she was just the first in an endless string of Sues that people considered better than Leia, or were supposed to consider better than Leia -- the most revolting of which were Mara and the other red-gold Sue, Bria.

I haven't read the X-Wing series.

Possibly, but those are canon characters, not LEU characters.

23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Read them!

Then again skip Stackpole's and read Allston's books.

24. maychild

Jan 16, 2013
    I may. From what I've heard, he even made Mara tolerable, which would be a small miracle.

25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The Stackpole X-Wing books do have Corran Horn.
    While the Allston X-Wing books don't.
    No Mara. Just a fun time.