main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Marvel Comics

Discussion in 'Literature' started by slimybug, Jun 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    Are they really as bad as I've heard.

PS> I'm a huge comic book superhero fan, and Marvel came out with the best Superheros in the Sixties. Spider-Man, Incredible Hulk, DareDevil, Thor, Iron Man. Marvel Comics are great, but the Star Wars series, I heard, sucked.

2. Esplin9466

Esplin9466 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 27, 2002
    Not at all. I've not read the entire series, but the ones that I have read were very good. I hear that the Marvel comics are some of the best EU out there. Besides, they brought about the return of the Sith after Endor. You can't go wrong there. :D

3. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Puts out the Genghis symbol

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I've read the first two volumes so far, and while it starts out somewhat poor and cheesy, IMO, it does get better as the series progresses (at least so far). Looking forward to some of the later story arcs once I get around to them [face_batting]

If you do read them- just pretend that everyone is wearing pants, and it might come across a little better in your mind [face_batting]

5. Esplin9466

Oct 27, 2002
    If you do read them- just pretend that everyone is wearing pants, and it might come across a little better in your mind [face_batting]

:eek: Hmmm... Maybe I should've reread them before posting. ;)

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [image=http://www.supershadow.com/marvel/pics/jack1.jpeg]

Crimson Jack: Loot and secure their precious cargo!

Thug: Um, would that be the hotpants, sir?

Crimson Jack: Ah, yes, the hotpants!

7. Esplin9466

Oct 27, 2002
    Nice try, Quest, but it'll take more than a little x to spoil me. I must admit, it was a clever plan, hiding a link to http://www.supershadow.com/ inside a seemingly-failed picture post. Perhaps, in another time, we could have been friends. We are very much alike, you and I. But my vastly superior intellect saw through your thinly-veiled scheme, and I return more spoiler-free than ever before. And, in retribution, I swear on the bones of my ancestors that before the cock hath twice called the Sun, deeds of blood shall be done upon your head! To war!

:p

8. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    Aside from the Goodwin/Williamson strips, the Marvel comics are the best EU out there.

9. JoruusCbaoth

JoruusCbaoth Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2003
    I approved highly of the Goodwin/Williamson strips (and the exceedingly low price I bought them at), but haven't found any such deal for the Marvel reprints.

10. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Crimson Jack: Loot and secure their precious cargo!

Thug: Um, would that be the hotpants, sir?

Crimson Jack: Ah, yes, the hotpants!

[face_laugh]

11. A-WingsRule

A-WingsRule Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    jack2.jpeg is seriously disturbing.

12. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    I wouldn't call them the best EU out there, but they are very entertaining.

13. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    Aside from the Goodwin/Williamson strips, the Marvel comics are the best EU out there

The newspaper strips are different from the Marvel ongoing series.

And to each his own, but IMHO, Goodwin & Williamson put together some of the finest Star Wars comic adventures ever.

14. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    Well I have never read them, and until now, I have never heard of those Williams/whatever strips you guys are talking about. But I have checked the covers out at theforce.net's comics section. Who is that green bunny dude?

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Jaxxon is his name.

The newspaper strips are pretty neat from what little I've seen of them- that's what the Yavin evacuation takes place in.

16. JoruusCbaoth

Apr 14, 2003
    IIRC, the strips in question were written by Archie Goodwin and Al Williamson between 1981 and 1984, and were published in newspapers.

Lots of neat stuff happened in them, most of it with a very "original trilogy" feel to it. We got to see the Executor's first appearance, as well as "Bounty Hunters on Ord Mantell" (one of several). Good stuff all around, very light and fun.

17. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    There are some really great characters and storylines in the original SW Marvel comics that are unparalled today, in my opinion. The best of EU -- and we always saw great new planets and species. The final year of the run did get a tad corny though.

18. JoruusCbaoth

Apr 14, 2003
    As an addendum, there were some other newspaper strips done by Russ Manning, but they had a less cohesive storyline, though we did get to see Blackhole and his black-armored stormtroopers.

19. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    slimybug...
    "Who is that green bunny dude?"

Check out the official site's databank feature on Jaxxon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.