main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Marvel Pre Disney VS Disney's Marvel

Discussion in 'Community' started by Pancellor Chalpatine, May 19, 2016.

?

Did disney make marvel more fun for you?

1. Disney improved marvel

41.7%
  2. disney ruined marvel.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. marvel's still good, but it was better before disney

8.3%
  4. it's the same.

50.0%
  5. I only like disney's marvel.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Pancellor Chalpatine

Pancellor Chalpatine Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2015
    What's better Marvel Now that Disney has it, or was marvel better before Disney bought it?

You don't have to hate one to prefer another, and this is the whole franchise. Comics, movies, games and other things. Did Disney make marvel better, downgrade or the same?

2. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Outside of edgier films like Blade and the Punisher, I really do not see much difference between the pre Disney and the post Disney.

3. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Other studios are going to have a hard time laying siege to the combined market share fortress of Marvel/Star Wars/ and the animated features. Disney can litter the calendar with nearly guaranteed blockbusters.

4. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Where the marvel zombies at?

5. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Having a hard time thinking what movies were done pre Disney, but just the fact that they are making lots of Marvel makes me happy and I think it's an improvement by far!

6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Disney buys Marvel Entertainment for $4 billion - Aug. 31, 2009

List of Marvel films:

Iron Man
    The Incredible Hulk

Iron Man 2

Thor
    Captain America: The First Avenger

The Avengers

Iron Man 3
    Thor the Dark World

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    Guardians of the Galaxy

Avengers: Age of Ultron
    Ant-Man

Captain America: Civil War
    Doctor Strange

7. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Well, bringing Star Wars back to Marvel has made Marvel infinitely better, so we obviously have Disney to thank for that... (and I still can't believe there were people who thought Disney would let Star Wars stay with Dark Horse, but I digress)... however, I don't feel like I am seeing a noticeable change in the quality of the traditional, superhero titles....

8. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    we needed another marvel thread.

9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Right here.

[​IMG]

They're also in the same place where all the **** are at.

10. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    We should send the OP a bottle of wine in thanks, as this thread was really necessary and not redundant and also quite useful.

:rolleyes:

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The comics at times seem to be contorting themselves to conform to the movies, moreso than before when Marvel licensed out it's properties to Fox an Sony (X-Men around the time of the Singer flicks got a black leather makeover, Spider-Man had an unfortunate organic webshooter period when the Raimi flicks were a thing). The fact that the Inhumans in the comics (and on Agents of SHIELD) are getting a push as the new Marvel mutants (that Marvel / Disney owns) as the disenfranchised freaks of society instead of the actual freakin' mutants is also telling. I'm less sure that they bounced Fantastic Four from the comics (sorta) has that much to do with Fox as that was the ending of the Secret Wars narrative. And now Reed and Susan are basically the Marvel Universe's version of God making entirely new dimensions is actually a oddly fitting grace note (and the Thing and Human Torch have different gigs now).

As for when Marvel got bought by Disney and they have all of that mouse cash to make movies, it has had an improvement in the budgets and scale. Also Marvel would have never gotten to the point where they can actually work with Sony to get Spider-Man back (mostly, sorta, kinda, pretty much). Yes, there was the Sony hack and falling profits but Disney gave Marvel clout.

I'm hoping for Disney branded Marvel movies to eventually stretch beyond the blockbuster style, though. Yes, they're doing a lot of different genres but I'd love to see them push it even further with Nextwave adaptions (total non-sequitor superhero parody lunacy / a total celebration of the craziness of superhero comics) or flat-out make that damn Marvel Zombies movie. But that would make less cash..... or maybe not. Look to Deadpool, Disney. I mean, don't make Deadpool but make Marvel Zombies! (However, that might not work because you'd have to get the Avengers actors .... to play Zombies. Which is weird and costly for a jokey movie). Hell, I maintain if Marvel does an adaptation of "Truth" / Isaiah Bradley it could be their crack at a prestige Oscar picture.

I do kind of miss the first few Marvel movies, Iron Man and Incredible Hulk, that were basically giant independent productions (which Marvel made on their own with a big loan). but they got the cash for that big loan by people like me buying Marvel comics for my entire life. when they were filming "Incredible Hulk" in my hometown, I figured I partially financed that movie myself with all the Hulk comics I bought. Well, it must have paid for a donut on set, at least.

Overall it's about the same and in ways even better but something intangible has been lost. A lot of the MCU is riding on the thematic tonal pushing that was done in the Ultimates / early 2000 era and the comics seem to be playing it a tad safe lately.

12. Pancellor Chalpatine

Dec 5, 2015
    Yeah something feels missing from Disney's marvel. A certain vibe and soul. There's some things better in both. But I feel I'll never get a xmen 3 level awesome movie again, sadly gaurdians of the galaxy has made me want to see marvel fail, but the love I have for em as kids makes me wanna go play lego marvel avengers.

13. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    pre, or post disney lego marvel?

14. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    Well ever since Disney bought Marvel, the comics IMO have been steadily declining in quality up to this point, but IDK if that's because of Disney or it's all on Marvel.

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I thought Secret Wars was pretty decent (it was basically "No continuity, do whatever the hell you want for four months" and produced interesting results) and I'm liking the new runs of Spider-Man & Old Man Logan. And I've flat-out loved Marvel's Star Wars comics.

16. Pancellor Chalpatine

Dec 5, 2015
    lego got marvel post Disney, they didn't have em before I believe, at least not the games.

Also marvel did STAR WARS comics BEFORE Disney. It's just they did both dark horse and marvel. Now it's just marvel.

Heck marvel even did ren and stimpy comics!

17. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Marvel pre Disney was less, so better

18. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I'm genuinely curious what it is about X-Men 3 that you think is so awesome and why GOTG would make you want Marvel to fail. Surely you realize you are in the minority in both of those cases right?

19. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    DC's done the same thing over the years. Maybe not quite to the same degree, but it's not exclusively Marvel. Both companies want to sense of continuity and brand parity. Hence the change with the Guardians of the Galaxy at Marvel and the period where the Superman books used material from the live action films.

No, but the timing is not coincidental. As well as the change in merchandising sold by Marvel.

I tend to believe that hack made it happen, more than Disney's involvement.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. Pancellor Chalpatine

Dec 5, 2015
    It's simple. X-men 3 was fantastic and enjoyable. Gaurdians of the galaxy was terrible to me. I know nobody who likes it, people online I see hate it. So what I see and you see are two different things, IDK how people feel about xmen 3....but I don't care. There's this thing called forming your own opinion that I do. I don't care if people hate or like something. That's there lives, not really my business. I mean it's fine to be curious but how much something is liked or loved shouldn't effect my own opinion, only what points they try to make should possibly sway me.

GOTG was terrible. Bad cg, inferior to a film like what? a decade older then it?! Bad acting, bad characters, it was just bad. X-men 3 was fun to watch. I liked it as a kid, I enjoy it now.

I don't hate modern marvel, but part of me wanted marvel to face karma for doing that gaurdians movie. And I still think it should have karma at whoever did it. I'm going to HATE seeing commercials spammed in front of me all over YouTube when they advertise that ****.

I want marvel to have more of a soul. IDK there's some thing missing, like a earlier post said.. something intangable is missing. Both do things better then the other. I kind of hate how they have bad art in their star wars comics. Dark horse did it better iMO. Even pre Disney marvel did star wars better, but it's neet how they effect the canon and make it grow I suppose.

The new civil war movie kind of summarises how I feel about modern marvel,
    -

there's a lot of crap in it, but also good.

They manage to do spiderman right and make him cool, but I didn't care for some things in the movie. Besides the big brawl between everyone the action felt so fake and boring. But then there's other things right like making black hawk look much better in terms of design (no longer looks flamboyant and silly)...so really this movie feels like How I see modern marvel, that it has a lot of crap in it, but over all can be enjoyed, and does things better and worse then pre Disney marvel.

I think I'll try checking out the 1rst two captain Americas after seeing the third. The pros outwayed the cons in that movie and it makes me believe that maybe I might try Disney's marvel again after GOTG RUINED it for me. IDK if I'll grow to like it more or less then the old marvel, but currently all I can decide is that I like some of both worlds, and most likely like the older better, but for the time being I just go with they're the same.

21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Y'know, I am actually going to state that I don't hate on X-Men: The Last Stand as everyone else seems to. Yes, it screwed up the whole franchise so much they literally had to make Days of Future Past to undo it. HOWEVER, I think Last Stand is a nice endpoint of the Mutants v Humans grand arc that sets up across X-Men and X-Men: United. Yes, I know, Dark Phoenix is crammed in there. But, as offhanded as it is, both Jackman and Janssen really nail the most important stuff in the movie so I can deal. There's a bit too much happening at once in Last Stand but I think each bit pays off pretty well, if reallllllly abbreviated.

Y'know the one thing that Last Stand reminds me of? X-Men annuals or 100th issues / X-Men event crossovers. Why? Everybody dies! Everybody is depowered! As much as X-Men is about making an analogy with oppressed minorities, on the flipside, X-Men is totally about, like, everything exploding all at once. (and then people getting resurrected / repowered, like, 12 issues later).

22. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Just reminding you that this thread exists.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.