main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Marvel Reprint cover #1 available:

Discussion in 'Literature' started by IAmTheDarkSide, Feb 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaJames2

DaJames2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 17, 2002
    Glad someone remembered Day after the Death Star. It's fairly obvious that it follows ANH immediately. Though they rarely mention events from other stories, occasionally they mention dates and the regular Marvel series runs pretty much straight, except for flashbacks, of course.

I remember reading Marvel #7 once, and i believe it started with the characters or the narrator revealing that it has been 3 weeks since the Battle of Yavin. I also read from both the Timeline and TimeTales that Scoundrel's Luck takes place at about a month after the Battle. Hence, the Aduba adventure at least, comes before Scoundrel's Luck. I suppose it would matter on how many adventures you think that the heroes can fit into a week, but if i remember the storyline correctly, than Han arrives back from Aduba and almost immediately sets out for Drexxel, then on the way back from Drexxel. I always thought that they detoured to the Wheel during the return flight from Drexxel, but Vader was back at that stage, so maybe not.

That part of the timeline seems to go :

Day After the Death Star
    Star Wars Missions : 1-4
    Han Solo and the Sprites of Aduba-3
    Dragon Lords of Drexxel
    (either right before, during or just after Drexxel) Scoundrel's Luck
    The Wheel

2. Nabooty_Call

Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 11, 2000
    No, sorry, the "Canon Bible" may have existed in the late 80's, early 90's, but back in the day (late 70's), it was not an issue.

Edit: It's an interesting pursuit to try to fit these sometimes disparate stories together, but really, they are more like parallel tales than one truly coherent story, imo.

3. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    "I remember reading Marvel #7 once, and i believe it started with the characters or the narrator revealing that it has been 3 weeks since the Battle of Yavin. I also read from both the Timeline and TimeTales that Scoundrel's Luck takes place at about a month after the Battle."

The 3 weeks reference comes from timetales and cant be found anywhere in the issue, btw. However, Scoundrel's Luck does indeed take place slightly over a month after SW4.

4. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Nabooty....

Actually the letter sections of the marvel issues go into the aspect of how, marvel, Del Rey, and Lucasfilm were trying to keep continuity together between all the star wars sources.

One sees how something mentioned in one comic may be be refrenced in comics down the line, or mystery set up in one may be finished in another. The stories were totally tied together.

Infact issue seven says that roy the editor had gotten together with both lucas and mark hamill to plot the direction that marvel series would take(even how the novels would fit in as well). Throughout the series, they continuilly talked about there direct communication with LFL editors or lucas to make sure that the stories remained within lucas's own vision, and didn't deviate from it, and to make sure the stories remained coherrent as an ongoing series.

Then within issues there were these stars from time to times in the bubbles that said look back in this issue, which explained refrences within the story.

So yes they really did have a timeline when creating these things.

5. Nabooty_Call

Sep 11, 2000
    Think I'm splitting hairs here, but working to keep things within GL's acceptance and approval is not the same thing as plotting out a timeline of a developing story.

And I don't recall any instances of the "*see issue # so-and-so" blurbs in any of the Marvel comics referring to anything outside of the Marvel books (such as Splinter of the Mind's Eye, the newspaper comic strips, etc.), which would imply that, while equally enjoyable, they weren't looked on by those in charge as being part of a linear timeline.

There were guidelines, but not a strict putting-together of all the disparate multimedia events (such as the Holiday Special, and where does the Muppet Show appearance fit, eh?).

This is called Ret-conning (retroactively going back and placing things into continuity).

Anyway, sorry to take y'all off on a tangent...can't wait to finally read some of these SW stories that I've only had pieces of for the last 20+ years :)

6. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Actually the letters section is were it talked about were novels and ideas fit in position to the other stories. The only novel that actually took place within the events of marve was SOTME, and they dicussed it in length in marvel when it came out and where it fit in the timeline. Then the later newspaper strips made refrences back to marvel as well.

As for holiday special it got mentioned in later marvel issue around issue 85 or so, with han and chewie going back to see chewie's father, wife, and kid on kashyyyk.

No one tried to fit in the muppets since it didn't take place in the galaxy far far away.

7. DaJames2

Jan 17, 2002
    Damn, the link to the online copy of Marvel #7 that i normally use is dead, but i am fairly sure that either Han or the narrator actually says "three weeks" on one of the very first pages.

I would really like it if one day they could release the SW "Canon" Bible :)

8. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    I'll check my copy if you'd like, DaJames.

9. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "I would really like it if one day they could release the SW "Canon" Bible"

Really you wouldn't it's just a scroll of paper taped, glued, stapled together with little bits of notes and dating marked on it, which marks when each event takes place. They just add more sheets of paper to it as it they need too. Infact if lfl wanted too it's the kind of thing they could easily put online and make printable actually. But it's nothing all that special, but is kind of interesting. They keep it in the vaults of the ranch.

10. DaJames2

Jan 17, 2002
    Well, an edited version perhaps ? ;)

11. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    That would be closer to the Essential Guides, if anything, or the Star Wars Databanks.

12. Nabooty_Call

Sep 11, 2000
    Don't see this mentioned yet; straight from the [Dark] Horse's mouth, as it were...the first volume is scheduled to be released June 5, 2002, with a $29.95 price tag for 336 pages.

So, as stated on Dark Horse's website, the Marvel UK STAR WARS stories (as reprinted by Dark Horse in the "Devilworlds" collection) are now considered to be "Infinities" and not part of continuity. Any word on whether the powers that be have decided to place the Marvel U.S. stories into the "Infinities" category?

Yep, retroactive continuity at it again. These stories were fine when first published...

13. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Actually stories produced by Marvel US are considered to be continuity, unlike the UK marvel stories that were never released in the US. This is according to Dave Land, Daniel Wallace, Sansweet, Kausch, cerasi, WEG, WOTC, and others since marvel has been out.

Dave Land recently said that marvel US reprints will be part of continuity, because of this.

14. Simone

Simone Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 17, 2001
    Are they avalible to the United Kingdom? or can I order from the UK?

15. Nabooty_Call

Sep 11, 2000
    U.S. comics are part of continuity...including the Ewoks comics then? [face_devil]
    [image=http://www.theforce.net/comics/marvel/ewoks1.jpg]

Think I've got a copy of this too :D

16. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Yep, according to EG to characters volume 1 which refrences the ewok stories, and lists them as the bibiographical data. I'd say in that story they were using some power of the force.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.