main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Comics Marvel Star Wars: General News & Trades Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm not super feeling it with Star Wars, but Darth Vader is pretty good.

spicer likes this.
  2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I think Vader and Leia are both superb. It's only the main SW title that keeps giving me pause.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

DelRiego, Valin__Kenobi and Aphra like this.
  3. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Really? The 2 issues I read can pretty much be summed up as “he kills people, he threatens to kill people, he hires people to kill people, he plans to kill people, he talks about killing people or he talks about people that have been killed or need to be killed“. But then I never cared for Vader for Vader sake stories, also the art work in this series is just weird, as it is sometimes pretty good and at other times incredible lazy.

Leia is all right, but seems to already be losing steam.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Leia's hampered by being a mini while I think her character growth post-Alderaan is better served in an ongoing. And she can carry an ongoing as well as Vader can, if not better. I still think it's excellent and about time she got a title.

I will agree with you about not being a fan of the tracing in Vader, but it gets less of a problem as it goes along. Vader's less one-note in subsequent issues, too: shows more cunning, etc.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

5. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    To be fair, the solicitation only says Luke is "heading to" the Jedi Temple aka the Imperial Palace, not that he gets there or roams the halls or anything. Although Luke sneaking around in the palace would probably make a more fun story than Luke getting to Coruscant, finding out what happened to the Temple, saying "well, nuts to that," and leaving again.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I don't think that's true G.

Marvel have put a raft of top-level creative talent on these books, they didn't have to.

Not to your liking is one thing, but I don't think you can say they're not trying when we have:

Writers: Aaron, Gillen, Waid, Soule, Rucka
    Art: Cassaday, Larocca, Dodsons, Immonen, Maleev

Creating SW stories.

7. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Sure, but just take a look at the four covers, somehow only the Kanan one actually seems to be doing something … Je ne sais pas … intriguing, new, interesting, on a level like the best of Dark Horse? [face_dunno]

starfish likes this.
  8. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I've been impressed with the creative talent so far from marvel. Until recently I was unfamiliar with really all of them. The switch to marvel has introduced me to a lot of writers and artists. The first Kanan issue was really well done.

I've enjoyed the others as well, though I still get a "been there done that" vibe sometimes. I do really like the Dodson's art, and the new characters like Evaan and Aphra.

The Shattered Empire book sounds good. Looking forward to reading Greg Rucka.

9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    What is the alien with Kanan?

10. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Well, Kanan has only one issue out so far, and while it was excellent it's still a bit too early to make a substantiated judgement about it. Maybe you should give Vader another try, I agree with you that the art in it is a bit lazy here and there, but the story is intriguing enough for me to at least look forward for the next issue.

So far none of the current series can be compared with the best of Dark Horse, mostly because none of the new Marvel series is as daring and original as the DH stuff. But no Marvel issue has been bad so far imo.

starfish and Iron_lord like this.
  11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Not sure how I feel about Luke being on Coruscant.

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I think you're scraping the bottom of the barrel to find something more than 'I don't like it', when there's nothing wrong with that 4-word statement.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    "Purpose of visit to Coruscant?"
    "Um, planning on looking at Jedi relics at the Temple."
    "...arrest him!"

Next issue: Han and Leia mount daring rescue on Coruscant!

14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Luke waltzes through the palace, whips out a spray can, starts spraying Sod Off Sidious and gets grammatically corrected by a security guard.

15. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Properly, maybe it is just the strong feeling of been there done that with the other series, or that I don’t feel they can actually add anything significant for the characters they are staring. Vader and Luke have the important stuff of their story told in the movies, which is properly also why stories with Vader work best if they are not actually about Vader. The Leia comic might do more down the line, but given it is a limited run I doubt it, whilst the main SW series is set in the wrong period to deal with interesting stuff for Han, like his “new backstory” if he gets one.

The Kanan series on the other hand Is about a fresh character who we only know so much about and can tell as part of the story of how he became what he is.

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, at least you're honest about it G.

You just know Han's backstory has a big 'do not touch, reserved for film' sticker on it!

17. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    I want the Luke art to improve in the SW comics. I don't really like how he looks. Not sure if that will happen. Are there cases of art style changing within a comic series or does it pretty much stay consistent?
    I don't find the SW or DV comics as a recommended reads so far,(it's pretty early in the story though still), but still am interested to see where it goes.
    Anyone else thinking that the DV comic looks like it's going to eventually show him learning Luke is his son? That could be interesting.

Do you think Marvel would ever a manga style SW comic? Would anyone want that?

18. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Luke/Sabine romance post-ROTJ!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    Please no.

I'd rather have Luke with a more peaceful girl that has more sense.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  20. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Don't bring Dark Horse in the mix, those guys are done. Their material while good is now part of the legends universe. Now on to more pressing things, I am impressed with the sales of Marvel star wars along with the talent they brought in. The first star wars issue alone is the highest selling issue in 25 years, that's just......wow. I, on the other hand do like the Darth Vader comic but am not feeling the Leia one nor the new Lando one. Star Wars, Darth Vader and the Kanan comic all have the feel of action and adventure while Leia's feel's like one of those boring character driven romance novels, and the Lando comic is not only not cutting it for me, it is probably going to be about only his gambling, swindling, womanizing and this is just giving him a voice (part of the OT coverage from Marvel) so that he can be covered along with the other main characters of the OT. They will all sell that's for sure, whether I or you guys like them debate them or not. Yeah, the OT, its like everything is about the OT from Disney, to Marvel, to Battlefront, to Rebels, its the feel and journey of the OT. Boy that is getting old.

Maybe I would be more open if I knew that Disney would let Filoni and company finish TCW. You know for new canon, it really sucks to have not completed stories and TCW being canon is incomplete. It makes it hard to follow the new stuff and believe in it. That's been my delima. Also, have any of you given thought to what GL did when he sold the franchise? I mean, he showed everyone that he could move on, while some of us here can't. All these new stories regardless of how much music you put or follow Maquarrie's art is not the star wars that we got from the creator himself, its just other people looking at the creators work and trying to copy, and scientifically dissect scenes, verbage, poses and costumes so that we can get it into something new. You guys have thought about that have you? I'm not trying to say anything or start anything but all this new star wars is not the star wars that we enjoyed with the OT, the PT, and the original EU from the role playing games to the last Crucible novel and Legacy comic books. I just want to point that out.

21. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I'm suddenly concerned about the remote possibility of Luke and Ezra fighting over the same girl being... a possibility.

22. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Hey, Luke was THE ladies man of the early Marvel series.

It's possible!

23. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Expecting people to never mention DH comics again is just odd to me, DH brought a lot of great stories and characters to Star Wars. The writers and artists deserve a lot of credit for the work they did. Just because the DH material is legends does not suddenly make it non-existent.

24. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Sounds fun, I will take 3 copies please :)

On the other hand, she is Sabine, she clearly makes her own decisions. Also she seems to favour cultured, mature men, not backwater boys ;)

25. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    *cough*Darth Maul Son of Dathomir*cough*