main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Comics Marvel Star Wars: General News & Trades Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 7, 2015.

1. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    Digital user, but planning to get hardcovers as they come out.

2. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    It does make one wonder if the Star Wars line could see an abrupt cancellation just like the Vader line did. I guess there likely is more potential for long running storytelling for it than there was in Vader. For instance there still is that story of the Empire chasing the Rebellion from base to base to be told but at the same time they don't really need two separate lines to tell that. They could just have Vader start having more of a presence in the Star Wars line than he did before.

Guess we might get a clue of what they are wanting to do by what the next ongoing is going to be. If it is another post ROTJ series than that might indicate they are wanting to compleltely move into the post ROTJ era for everything.

3. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015

I think you have to assume that the Star Wars line could potentially jump around a bit, too. We're already getting the one-offs between story arcs featuring Ben Kenobi. If they run out of story to tell between IV and V, I could see them jumping to an adaptation of Shadows of the Empire, or going to the formation of the New Republic, or jumping to story between VIII and IX, or telling the remaining TCW arcs, or something completely different. Maybe every time the writer changes, they'll jump in the timeline. They don't need to change the line name if they change time period, imo.

4. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

Very true. After all it is just called Star Wars and hasn't designated itself to a particular character. So technically it could just tell stories that just take place in the Star Wars universe.

5. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    Well, I think there may be a difference between something that impacts someone personally, and something that has a greater impact to a fictional universe.

Heir to the Empire Trilogy, while being a very fun story and something that introduced characters that had an awesome life in the EU, didn't exactly have a huge impact on the Star Wars Universe, did it? The New Republic was able to finally stamp out the Empire resurgence with Thrawn. But was the resurgence about to reclaim control of the Galaxy?

The creation of the First Order is a huge impact on the Star Wars universe because it will be the organization that destroys the New Republic ruling body as well as all neighboring worlds. I think the impact of the First Order will be fully realized in episode 8 and 9.

Bloodline may not have the same cultural impact as the Thrawn trilogy, but you are comparing apples and oranges. The fandom is in completely different places when each were released. Heir was released in maybe the most "dormant" point of the fandom, and Bloodline hit after the movie became the highest grossing US domestic release of all time (not accounting for inflation).

Personally, I like both books, but Bloodline is unprecedented for the relevance and impact on the universe. If this book had come out before Force Awakens, it would have been amazing to most fans... Just my $.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

candymove and darklordoftech like this.
  6. Jam Lacobus

Jam Lacobus Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 4, 2015
    You know what publishers are like though. They love the sales bump of those issue #1's.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  7. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The OT characters are way too iconic for them to ever abandon the OT era.

8. StarWarsFan1997

StarWarsFan1997 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jun 22, 2005

Marvel in particular has been on a renumbering kick in the last decade or so. Uncanny X-men, to use on example, is on its fourth volume, which is part of the reason why I've stopped reading superhero comics from the Big Two. DC Comics is going in the opposite direction by returning series like Action Comics to original numbering. Both moves are cheap attempts to temporarily boost sales, and the result is often that entertaining runs that have hit sales plateaus and cut short in favor of lesser stories that will sell better in the short-term due to a number on the cover.

Marvel's Star Wars books have handled things well up to this point. Star Wars should be the only ongoing series in my opinion, and like others have suggested, I would like to see it eventually cover many different eras besides the classic trilogy. You could have larger max-series, like Kaanan or Darth Vader, though I'm not sure whether either was planned to be finite when they were originally conceived and published. But for the most part I like giving different creative teams a chance to tell five issue, character focused stories like Lando, Princess Leia (though the story itself was so-so), Poe Dameron, etc.

SilentGuy66 and Jedi Ben like this.
  9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Gillen's pretty clear his Vader run was always going to be finite, the only change has been in the number of issues.

10. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    You want the one ongoing series to be the one that's retreading well-worn ground, instead of any of the series giving us interesting new stuff? o_O

Do we know the original intended length?

11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Don't think so, or, if there's a number out there, I haven't seen it.

12. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    I have never seen a particular number either. All I have seen them say is that they had a clear story that they were planning on telling (that statement does sound legit because it does appear like the main stories they are telling at this point is how he got control of the Executor and how he found out about Luke.

It doesn't seem like those stories got cut short either because neither one seemed rushed.

StarWarsFan1997 likes this.
  13. StarWarsFan1997

StarWarsFan1997 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jun 22, 2005
    My original post stated that I would like the main series to shift into different eras eventually, like what happened with the first volume of the Dark Horse Star Wars series. Also, given that the chronology of Legends has been put to one side, the stories currently being told in the classics era aren't technically "retreads."

14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So anyone think when Star Wars (Volume 2) + Star Wars (Volume 1) = renumbering to issue 200? Marvel does dig them numbering gimmicks. Then after 12 issues it'll be Star Wars #1 (Volume 3)

Jedi Ben likes this.
  15. Fettster

Fettster Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 7, 2003
    Oh hello Doctor Aphra comic.
    [​IMG]

Screenshot from a link I just got in an email about this year's Halloween ComicFest. It's Free Comic Book Day but in the fall. It could just be a reprint from earlier DV issues; the email claims "19 new full-sized and 13 mini comics" but the actual webpage doesn't included the "new" descriptor.

Edit: I guess I could include the actual link, eh? http://www.halloweencomicfest.com/Home/1/1/78/1141?articleID=180257

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigAl6ft6, spicer and Darth_Pevra like this.
  16. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I think it's Aphra's introduction issue from Darth Vader. They may be trying to prepare for a miniseries.

SilentGuy66, spicer and Jedi Ben like this.
  17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'd love for Gillen to write a potential Aphra mini-series (I think the odds of her dying at the end of Darth Vader have actually decreased as the book has gone on) but he sounds like he's pulling away from Marvel in general. Vader is his last Marvel book and it's ending. But if he did an Aphra: Origins that would be great.

Barriss_Coffee and vncredleader like this.
  18. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I think other writers will be given the reigns over the character after Gillen leaves. She turned out to be fairly popular with fans so Marvel will want to revisit her, possibly having her pop up in their on-goings. If Marvel likes to do one thing it is having guest characters from other series appear in a comic book.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I am 100% certain that Aphra will survive the Darth Vader series as she is slowly but surely becoming the "Ahsoka" of Marvel's series.

Ahsoka
    "What?! Anakin doesn't have a padawan! That's stupid I hope she dies at the end of TCW."
    (Several Seasons later)
    "Please please Don't kill Ahsoka she's my favourite character"

Aphra
    "Vader doesn't need a wise cracking female sidekick, I hope he ends up killing her!"
    (20+ issues later)
    "Oh my god I so hope Aphra isn't killed by Vader she deserves her own mini at least"

candymove and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  20. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Am I the only one that dislikes Aphra ? :confused:

Random Comments likes this.
  21. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Yes I think/hope that Aphra survives.

And why would Vader give her the option of surrendering if he wants her dead? It seems obvious he has a plan B in which she survives.

Imo Ahsoka is dead. Next time we see her she is a force spirit.

22. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    I no longer actively dislike her but I still don't really enjoy her, either -- at least not in the Darth Vader series. I had much more fun reading her in the Rebel Jail arc of the main Star Wars series. It might just be because I found the situations and environments she was in more entertaining. I'll have to reread Rebel Jail to determine if her character was actually handled a bit differently, or if I'm just misremembering. Either way, her history with Sana and dialogue with and expressiveness toward both Sana and Leia were much more interesting to me than any interactions she has had in Darth Vader.

23. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    Looks like September isn't going to be that exciting...no new series to replace Darth Vader yet

[​IMG]
    STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS ADAPTATION #4 (of 6)
    CHUCK WENDIG (W) • LUKE ROSS (A)
    Cover by MIKE DEL MUNDO
    SKETCH VARIANT COVER BY MIKE DEL MUNDO
    MOVIE VARIANT COVER ALSO AVAILABLE
    • Rey, Finn, Han and Chewie have reached Maz Kanata’s castle…
    • …but the Force is calling Rey to Luke’s lightsaber!
    • Meanwhile, our heroes have been discovered! The First Order strikes!
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
    Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization. Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2016 Lucasfilm Ltd.

[​IMG]
    STAR WARS: POE DAMERON #6
    CHARLES SOULE (W) • PHIL NOTO (A/C)
    VARIANT COVER BY MIKE MAYHEW
    • Poe and Agent Terex are in a race…to break out of jail!
    • But with Black Squadron surrounded by deadly inmates…
    • …Their only hope is BB-8?!?
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
    Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization. Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2016 Lucasfilm Ltd.

[​IMG]
    STAR WARS #23
    JASON AARON (W) • JORGE MOLINA (A)
    Cover by MIKE DEODATO
    ACTION FIGURE VARIANT COVER BY JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER
    SKETCH VARIANT COVER BY MIKE DEODATO
    VARIANT COVER BY JORGE MOLINA
    • The rebels have pulled off the impossible…they’ve stolen a Star Destroyer.
    • But why? To what end? Can they hold her together?
    • And who’s in charge of this madness, anyway – Han or Leia?
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

[​IMG]
    STAR WARS: HAN SOLO #4 (of 5)
    MARJORIE LIU (W) • MARK BROOKS (A)
    Cover by OLIVIER COIPEL
    VARIANT COVER BY JAMAL CAMPBELL
    VARIANT COVER BY DUSTIN NGUYEN
    VARIANT COVER BY KIRBI FAGAN
    MILLENNIUM FALCON VARIANT COVER BY STEPHANIE HANS
    MOVIE VARIANT COVER ALSO AVAILABLE
    • Han has a traitor to the Rebellion on board the Falcon!
    • But can he figure out who it is before they get him killed?
    • And more importantly…can he stay in the Dragon Void race?!?
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Love the TFA issue 4 cover!

SW issue 23 sounds fun.

25. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    TFA #4's cover is just so lovely, now if only interior art improves at the same time, I'll be so happy. :(