main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Comics Marvel Star Wars: General News & Trades Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 7, 2015.

1. TheAmericanTwi'lek

TheAmericanTwi'lek Jedi Knight

Aug 27, 2015
    Wow. We need a comic with Del Mundo as the artist. He's phenomenal.

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    He is, heard a lot about him - might be best suited to a finite run though, if it's to be that full painted style he has.

3. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    By the sound of the description for star wars #24 Han could be undermining Leia's leadership meaning that the comic is finally writing Han as he should be ;)

4. TheAmericanTwi'lek

TheAmericanTwi'lek Jedi Knight

Aug 27, 2015

I'd love to see his style brought to Star Wars for one of the mini series. His work on Elektra and Weirdworld is absolutely beautiful.

5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Don't think Rebel-Jedi has posted about these yet.... Dates are from Amazon so your local comic shop may get them 2-3 weeks sooner.... As usual, go by the Release Dates info for week-to-week releases.

Due 3 Jan 2017

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-So...e=UTF8&qid=1467151410&sr=1-65&keywords=marvel

Star Wars: Han Solo

Due 10 Jan 2017

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Le...e=UTF8&qid=1467151313&sr=1-61&keywords=marvel

Legends: Epic Collection: The Clone Wars Volume 1

Due 7 Feb 2017

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Le...e=UTF8&qid=1467151173&sr=1-34&keywords=marvel

Legends: Epic Collection: The Newspaper Strip: Volume 1

Looks to be the Manning work, bodes well for a Goodwin-Williamson volume.

Due 21 Feb 2017

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Le...ie=UTF8&qid=1467150927&sr=1-8&keywords=marvel

Legends: Epic Collection: Star Wars: The Empire Volume 3

6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Mulling over the next main OHC after the Vader OHC2 that will include Vader Down, does anyone else suspect they'll do a Star Wars OHC2 that collects Star Wars: Rebel Jail / Darth Vader: End of Games arcs into one bundle due to how they've used Aphra across those issues so far? Would be quite neat.

JediFett10 likes this.
  7. jafo

jafo Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 20, 2001
    Due 7 Feb 2017

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Le...e=UTF8&qid=1467151173&sr=1-34&keywords=marvel

Legends: Epic Collection: The Newspaper Strip: Volume 1

Looks to be the Manning work, bodes well for a Goodwin-Williamson volume.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The listing mentions Goodwin and Williamson already so it may well just be a repack of the Dark Horse reprint comics

8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Possibly, but Manning racked up 9 issues after the Goodwin-Williamson 20-issue run, if it has 29 issues of material that's one monster volume and I can't see Marvel being so generous - especially when they can do 2 volumes instead.

Do want the G-W run to be appreciated by a larger audience, so it's encouraging regardless.

9. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    YAY! There's going to be a legends collection for the clone wars....wonder if it'll there'll TCW tie in material included?

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Suspect not as the creator names suggest it is the 2002-2005 material being repackaged.

Two versions of the Clone Wars cannot co-exist in the same volume unless a High Master of Continuity Splicing - i.e. Sinrebirth - oversees the very delicate melding!

spicer likes this.
  11. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    Any ideas as to what will replace Vader?

12. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I imagine they may move towards more mini-series. It wouldn't surpise me if they did another Lando series due to the reception it got.

In terms of longer term ongoings, something like Rogue Squadron but from an Imperial perspective or a 501st Legion story would be neat. I feel like they should try to move away from the big name characters and do smaller stories that occasionally overlap - like Lost Stars.

Darth_Pevra and darklordoftech like this.
  13. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    =D=

14. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    If only there was a Massive Star Wars fan event coming up soon where such a new project could be announced.

JediFett10 and Jedi Ben like this.
  15. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Either SWCE or SDCC, I would say.

JediFett10 likes this.
  16. vstarvan

vstarvan Jedi Master star 2

Aug 11, 2013
    I have a few questions about buying in the US. I was looking into purchasing the Vader Vol. 1 Hardcover; the Alex Ross variant in particular. I'm not used to buying comics (normally I go digital) so I looked for it on Amazon, but only the regular cover is on there.

I looked around and found a site called talesofwonder.com selling it for $13 less than MSRP. I can't find anything about the site online, which sends off a red flag for me. Is this a trustworthy site? If not, what are the best sites to buy comics from?

The two other sites I found were Midtown Comics and Things From Another World. They both appear to be much more 'official' looking that Tales of Wonder, but they don't have much of a discount going for the variant. Things From Another World actually has a store within walking distance from me, would they have the variant on shelves over there or is this something I can only buy online?'

Also, on the Midtown Comics site, the regular and variant have "Book Market" and "Direct Market" in their titles. What do these mean, exactly?​

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    One addition - V's US-based so needs help from those of you who know where to find bargains across the Atlantic!

vstarvan likes this.
  18. jafo

jafo Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 20, 2001
    Vstarvan - If you have Things from another world in walking distance I suggest that you visit them and have a word about what they can get you. I'm in the UK so can't really comment on Tales of Wonder I'm afraid but in general, comic shops are pretty good with customers - although the discounts offered sometimes only apply through the website.

For example, Forbidden Planet in the UK, charge less on the web than in their shops (for example, the retail price of the Alex Ross cover DV HB 1 is £25.99 but on Forbidden Planet website it is £17.93 (what these are in $ is anyone's guess at the moment as the pound is tanking since we decided to try to become an Empire again))
    Book market/Direct market - Book market would be the version sold in book shops and direct market would be the version sold in comic shops - these often have different covers.

Hope that helps

vstarvan likes this.
  19. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    talesofwonder is fine as a retailer. I sometimes stalk the marvelmasterworks.com forums, and the comic readers there like to purchase from talesofwonder

vstarvan likes this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Darth Vader and Star Wars are still top 10 sellers (despite some doomsayers doomsaying that wouldn't last beyond 2015), they bumped near the bottom of the top 10 in May but that's mostly just due to the usual Summer Crossover Event Book Madness. But Darth Vader is a consistent Top 10 placer, which Marvel probably wouldn't want to cancel.

Therefore I'd wager Darth Vader ongoing will eventually be replaced by .... Darth Vader #1, by a new creative team. Maybe 3 months off to build up anticipation. But Marvel and DC don't like to completely axe top 10 books. which I'm actually okay with! Moar Vader!

21. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Hipefully it will take place in between ROTS and LOTS/Tarkin.

spicer and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Maybe a hypothetical Darth Vader (Volume 2) could be a post ESB book (Vader, kicking ass in the name of the Empire whilst musing over his failure to turn Luke and second thoughts about his Master) and Star Wars could stay in the post ANH period. So any big time Vader moves in a post ANH Star Wars book wouldn't have to synch up with a post ESB Vader book, and it would give Vader Volume 2 a different hook. But, even if it is in the post Ep. III period, I think if there's a new Vader book, moving it away from the concurrent timeline with the Star Wars book would be interesting.

darklordoftech likes this.
  23. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Elaboration upon "I must obey my master" would be welcome.

Darth_Pevra and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  24. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

Yes they are still top 10 sellers however Vader has a very specific arc to tell. That arc looks to be mainly completed by the time of issue 25 so they may just feel that there isn't enough story left to tell to keep the series going. Add to that I'm sure that they have a few other ideas in mind that they are really interested in exploring.

Also its not like the main characters in the Vader comic would stop appearing just because this series ended. Vader would likely start having an increased role in the Star Wars line and Aphra (if she survives) would likely start appearing more often in the main line as well.

Luckily we won't have to speculate on what will come next much longer as we will likely get our answer next weekend.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Oh, I totally buy the notion that Gillen's very specific arc is ending and it's a fine place to wrap up a book. But Marvel loves them relaunches with new creative teams! Especially for a high seller like Vader.

I personally would be fine with only Star Wars and Poe Dameron being the only 2 ongoings and filling out the other 2 slots with rotating minis but if Marvel decides "We want more Vader! Relaunch!" I ain't exactly gonna complain too loudly.

Jedi Ben likes this.