main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Comics Marvel Star Wars: General News & Trades Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, those are probably it.

2. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    SE was a story done under TFA restrictions, so yeah, it couldn't do much i terms of revelations, but on the plus side it's Rucka writing Star Wars with some really excellent art by Chechetto.

cwustudent and Kylun like this.
  3. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    SE is pretty good. Nothing earth-shaking, but some really nice art and solid character work on Poe's parents. Also the one glimpse we've gotten thus far of Luke post-RotJ and what his mission might be, which of course set off all sorts of speculation.

4. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Speaking of, I picked up the hardcover today; I've been slowly acquiring the Marvel comics I thought I might be interested in (thinking Obi-Wan and Anakin is next, probably). I came here to compliment the art, for sure, and to say that no wonder Poe's played by Oscar Isaac; if the art's anything to go by both of his parents were, ah, above-average specimens of the human species, so it's only natural they'd create a child like that. :p

BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Ben like this.
  5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Might want to hold fire for an OHC containing O&A.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  6. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

OHC?

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oversized HardCover, same as what they've now released Shattered Empire in.

As yet, there isn't one for O&A but also everything, up to a point, has been OHC'd so it's likely far more a case of when & how rather than if for the newer stories.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  8. Dante1120

Dante1120 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 5, 2006
    Wouldn't surprise me if they OHC'd O&A with Darth Maul and another prequel-era comic.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  9. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    They did that with Leia/Lando/Chewie, so that's possible.

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yep, that's a real possibility, particularly as Leia, Lando and Chewie all got combined and were in the same timeframe.

It's been suggested they could do: Star Wars Vol 5 + Darth Maul + ObiWan & Anakin.

Dante1120 and Revanfan1 like this.
  11. Old Rex

Old Rex Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 28, 2015
    I'm of the opinion that either we'll get Obi-Wan & Anakin, Darth Maul, and Han Solo together or, preferably, we'll get O&A and HS together while Darth Maul will be collected with Son of Dathomir.

Giovs likes this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Combining Solo and O&A would break the chronological pattern they've followed thus far.

Doesn't mean it can't happen though.

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Kanan OHC

This was a superb 12-issue run. Reading it as a piece really shows why it had to end too.

Above all this demonstrates very strongly one of the key aspects of the new material:

Which could be said to be running strands over time: This story spans the Clone Wars, the declaration of Empire and its impact and the era of Rebels, but it also weaves in ties to the entirety of Rebels season one and to the books A New Dawn and the Aftermath trilogy. Rather than deem the films two separate trilogies, this story attempts to fuse the eras together more cohesively and for the most part it succeeds. It also emphasises the nature of SW as a multimedia franchise for this combines animation, books and comics into one narrative.

Art is very well done, with a consistent style used by the team of artists.

There's also some very smart reflections on the nature of the Clone Wars, of relationships forged with individuals that start off as adversaries and change towards becoming allies or even friends and vice versa. There's a consideration of what the declaration of Empire in turn renders the Clone Wars as. And, in these respects, Weisman is smart enough to not try to give simple answers to complex questions.

Quite, quite excellent.

14. Old Rex

Apr 28, 2015

I wouldn't count one OHC, Heroes for a New Hope in this case, as a pattern, unless you're counting all of the Legends collections as well. The rest of the canon OHCs have contained only one series each thus far.

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Are you trying to be pedantic or is it just a natural talent?

All of the OHCs have been for a single chronological period, Marvel have not mixed any of them up.

16. Qel

Qel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2007
    Yeah as Ben said, Heroes of a New Hope made sense because of the chronology. It was three stories in roughly the same period. Sticking Obi-Wan & Anakin with Darth Maul and (probably unrealistically dreams) Son of Dathomir would again make sense but throwing a random Han Solo series into an otherwise prequel book wouldn't. I'd rather they release the Han Solo as a single HC as with Shattered Empire than do that. Maybe throw in one of the Annuals or special issues as they did with the 3P0 issue in the SE volume. This all assumes they'll even release this stuff in HC at all of course...

Jedi Ben likes this.
  17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I think it's good odds there'll be more OHCs, especially given how well the line seems to be selling.

18. Old Rex

Apr 28, 2015

Why are you being rude? I simply pointed out that one OHC doesn't make a pattern. The other OHCs, Darth Vader, Star Wars, and Kanan, were collected together because they were a series, not because they were chronological. If they had been, wouldn't we have OHCs that collected alternating issues of Star Wars and Darth Vader? The only exception is Shattered Empire which contains the C-3PO one-shot, a comic that occurs 30 years later.

Could Marvel want to keep the OHCs together by chronology? Sure. I simply don't believe Heroes for a New Hope is enough to assume that to be the case, however. They could simply have been collected together because they were the first three limited series.

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Maybe I got the wrong impression from your post, felt like a variation on the less/fewer theme which always irritates me, as it is people going around poking holes in language in picky fashion.

I'd say they've demonstrated their tendencies across 5 OHCs, not one, but this is all becoming rather un-fun for both of us and we'll get the answer once Marvel's Sept-Dec 2017 schedule becomes known.

20. Old Rex

Apr 28, 2015

Fair enough! I apologize if my original post came across as needlessly pedantic then. Regardless, I agree that we'll continue to see the comics collected in OHCs in one way or another. At least, I hope so, or you and I are likely to be upset together.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    "Apology accepted" without anything more following. ;) (I was going for a witty one-liner but clearly it came across as harsher than intended.)

I'm kind of past the "get massively hacked off with company for not issuing OHC edition" - I hit them in the pocket instead and someone else gets the money I would have spent!

I can't see it happening though, Marvel have OHC'd everything bar:
    • Anakin & ObiWan
    • Han Solo
    • Star Wars #26 onwards
    • Aphra
    • Maul
    • Poe
    Only the newest stuff doesn't have OHC yet, I'm pretty much certain we'll get Poe, how they'll do Solo is a total mystery.

Old Rex likes this.
  22. candymove

candymove Jedi Padawan

Jan 17, 2016
    Star wars 5 + O&A + DM?? It's very unlikely to happen... star wars ongoing has its own pattern of tpb & ohc, Marvel's not gonna mess up that pattern. As for OHC O&A and DM maybe that could be a long wait...Or not gonna happen. I dont read other Marvel comics, so dont know how Marvel usually bind their tpb into ohc, but O&A could be the first example which is not ohc'd... which is one of the reason I bought O&A tpb..

나의 LG-F620K 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

23. candymove

candymove Jedi Padawan

Jan 17, 2016
    Son of dathomir Should get its own tpb reprint or at least be collected with Darth Maul mini as you mentioned... It is a part of new canon, so being collected in legend epic collection would be ridiculous... Plus 300$ for one tpb?? Does it make sense? It is time for Marvel and Disney to let us know what they are gonna do with Son of Dathomir.

24. candymove

candymove Jedi Padawan

Jan 17, 2016
    A quick question.. Is there any reference to Aftermath trilogy in Kanan comics? I've read Kanan, Aftermath, Life Debt, but cant think of any of them...

25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    There is sort-of but it'd mean some pretty big spoilers for the Kanan run, now if you're not bothered about that...

Oh, it could happen, after each has had a tpb release of course.

There is precedent in that Vader OHC2 has the Vader Down story, not Star Wars OHC2 as you might expect.