main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Comics Marvel Star Wars: General News & Trades Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 7, 2015.

1. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    Week by week or just the arcs/titles?

Star Wars (ongoing - monthly)
    Dr Aphra (ongoing - monthly)

Screaming Citadel One Shot that kicks off new crossover in SW and Dr.A

Droid One shot collecting three droid focused Back Up stories featured in Star Wars, Darth Maul, and Poe Dameron

Poe Dameron (ongoing - monthly)

Poe Dameron Annual

Darth Maul (mini - 5 parts - 3 of 5 released)
    Rogue One (movie adaptation - 6 parts - 1 of 6 released)

Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith (ongoing-monthly - #1 releases in June)

Captain Phasma (mini - release TBA)

And I am sure The Last Jedi adaptation is in the works for either December at the earliest, but more likely 2018.

5/3/2017 Poe Dameron #14
    5/3/2017 Rogue One #2
    5/10/2017 Star Wars: The Screaming Citadel #1
    5/17/2017 Poe Dameron #15
    5/17/2017 Star Wars #31
    5/24/2017 Darth Maul #4
    5/31/2017 Doctor Aphra #7
    6/7/2017 Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith #1
    6/7/2017 Rogue One #3
    6/14/2017 Star Wars #32
    6/21/2017 Darth Maul #5
    6/21/2017 Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith #2
    6/21/2017 Poe Dameron: Annual #1
    6/28/2017 Doctor Aphra #8
    6/28/2017 Poe Dameron #16
    6/28/2017 Star Wars: The Droids Awaken #1
    7/5/2017 Rogue One #4
    7/5/2017 Star Wars #33
    7/12/2017 Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith #3
    7/12/2017 Doctor Aphra #9
    7/19/2017 Poe Dameron #17
    7/26/2017 Doctor Aphra #10

Completely made-up place holder dates that have not been announced or confirmed by Marvel, but we know the titles are coming:

8/2/2017 Rogue One #5
    8/9/2017 Star Wars #34
    8/16/2017 Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith #4
    8/23/2017 Poe Dameron #18
    8/30/2017 Doctor Aphra #11
    9/6/2017 Rogue One #6
    9/13/2017 Star Wars #35
    9/20/2017 Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith #5
    9/20/2017 Poe Dameron #19
    9/27/2017 Doctor Aphra #12

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

candymove and son_of_skywalker03 like this.
  2. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
  3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Oy, reading the dialogue on that splash page was difficult with them disconnected like that. :p

But hey, cool speech from Poe, very reminiscent of some of the funerals from X-Wing.

4. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah this book is feeling more and more like those novels. I just hope we focus more of the rest of the squadron here on out and maybe adopt a more ensemble feel. Heck I want the book to be be changed to "Black Squadron"

redxavier likes this.
  5. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    So I just picked up the C-3P0 one-shot in celebration of Free Comic Book Day.

That was a fun read, and a fun way to tell a story. I hope we get another one of those in the lead-up to The Last Jedi.

spicer likes this.
  6. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Glad to hear that others liked it too. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one that found that comic enjoyable.

7. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I loved that comic. It's James Robinson doing a story about identity. That is his freaking wheelhouse. And having Tony Harris on art is the best!!

8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Speaking of which I wish Marvel would give SW the FCBD treatment. DH didn't do it every year but when they did it was nice seeing an issue of SW among all the bigger stuff.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    My initial thought when I saw that was "oh come on someone's being cheap."

10. KikReask

KikReask Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 13, 2016
    I read it recently and honestly, I liked it a lot too surprisingly. I loved the actual reason for how 3PO got that red arm, although the comic did feel a little more irrelevant when I remembered that, despite 3PO taking the arm to honor his friend, he just quickly gets rid of it anyway in The Force Awakens. XD

BigAl6ft6, spicer and Darkslayer like this.
  11. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

Don't think that kind of thing is really needed for Marvel Star Wars. Plus you know if they did it a lot of people would take full advantage of the situation and just wait until the day they didn't have to pay and just stock up.

Things like free comic bood day are generally used as an advetisement to get people to hopefully pay for a series in the future. Star Wars under Marvel sells well enough already that they don't really need to do that.

12. AniSkylover

AniSkylover Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 5, 2001
    This year in France we have Doctor Aphra for FCBD
    [​IMG]

13. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    That's... not how it works. FCBD issues are usually created specifically for that day, and then afterwards aren't readily available for a while. Yes they're often meant as a taste of a larger series, but not every time. One of the last FCBD issues Dark Horse did was a standalone Han and Chewie issue- no connection to any series at the time, and even written by a guy who wasn't doing any SW comics.

Daneira, Dr. Steve Brule and Jedi Ben like this.
  14. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Since this seems to be the basic comic thread, I figured I'd ask here, even if it's a bit out of the general topic. Other than Star Wars and Indiana Jones, did Dark Horse ever put out comics based on other Lucasfilm/LucasArts properties?

Personally I love stocking up on those single promotional issues created specifically for Free Comic Book Day. I mean it gets boring reading the same issue twenty times in a row but at least I stocked up.

Daneira likes this.
  15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Epic Collections Vol. 2 of Rise of the Sith and Vol. 3 The New Republic will be releases in November and December, this year according to Wookieepedia.
    Hyped!

Darkslayer likes this.
  16. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Didn't the star wars C-3PO standalone comic book released back in last year? or this another story specific to FCD?

17. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Jedi Ben Question on comics - how do DC/Marvel/etc make decisions on which comics to continue versus which to cancel? I know most of it is monthly sales but to TPB sales factor in at all? Because that's my preferred method of collecting.

18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It's one of those Qs that has no definitive answer to the best of my knowledge.

Marvel has axed series as early as issue #2.

Generally, Marvel go by monthly sales I think more than anything, though I think they are having to recognise digital.

(DC has often taken a longer term view and is far better at keeping material in print, in better quality trades.)

If they do cut back on trades, first to go will be the OHC/Omnibus editions. TPBs they'll likely keep doing, albeit in their cheap-arse format.

Darkslayer likes this.
  19. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I think it does mainly depend on monthly sales, I wish they would consider TPBs and other collected formats. Some series I continue to buy monthly as my of supporting and getting them to be ordered again every month, where I work there are a few series I subscribed to just so we would order them haha.

Darkslayer and Jedi Ben like this.
  20. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Thanks for the reply. I didn't know they did it differently. For my superhero comics, I stay pretty much exclusively with DC as I like their characters better. I've only started picking up Marvel lately due to them having the Star Wars license.

It's really bizarre that Marvel doesn't take TPBs into consideration at all.

And ya, I do notice that my local comic book shop keeps DC stuff pretty well-stocked.

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    They have the oddest attitude trades.

They have the kind of material that would always sell, the equal of Batman Year One or whatever, in terms of being a book that'll sell again and again, but they just don't do it. DC do.

While it's hopefully still available - get Hitman, it's great.

22. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Well quite frankly as a Marvel fan over DC, DC Rebirth has been fantastic and actually better writing than alot of what Marvel is doing at the moment. Alot of stores I think are getting more DC stuff than they used to, usually the top Rebirth titles outsell the top Marvel stuff. It's amazing as Marvel was always topping the charts for so long.

I do find annoying there isn't numbers on books sold and stuff like that though, stinking Diamond monopoly. The let us see what they want us to see :p

Jedi Ben and darthcaedus1138 like this.
  23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Rebirth has been stunning, I'm reading Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman for the first time in ages.

EDIT: There does tend to be a pendulum swing to Marvel-DC, one goes up, one goes down - it's just that Marvel were up for a long time.

24. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    There are very few Rebirth books going right now that aren't really good to great quality. DC has done quite a thing with their reinvention

TrandoJedi and Jedi Ben like this.
  25. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    What's really bizarre about this latest pendulum swing is that Marvel seems to be actively trying to dig itself into holes that DC is finally getting out of.