main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Comics Marvel Star Wars: General News & Trades Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 7, 2015.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

That could be fun but I'm really not a fan of the pullouts from ASB&R or Ultimates, seemed kind of gimmicky and it didn't fold right to me. One "stretch of double splash pages" I thought DID work great was the issue of Nextwave that was, like, basically 11 double-page splash pages for the entire issue

[​IMG]

So, yeah, that but Darth Vader murderin people.

Seriously, though, I really hope there's at least 8 pages devoted to it, which is a significant chunk but it would be soooooo awesome. They can cram the rest of the end the movie in the first 14 pages with multiple panels. It will be interesting to see how the finale of Rogue One plays in a comic, it is actually kind of wordless but very action and visual heavy.

Jedi Ben and Daneira like this.
  2. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    I loved dr aphra #8 :D

3. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I didn't. I'm not fond of the new "big 3" dynamic Marvel is pushing, which seems to be more of a "jokey"/"trying to be cool"/"hipster" vibe than was ever presented in the Legends EU--like Marvel is trying to make Leia into snarky Tony Stark (I noticed this in her Marvel miniseries too), and push the jokey Avengers/Marvel Cinematic Universe vibe into Star Wars (this sort of dynamic was why I had trouble getting into Agents of Shield in the first season).

The only thing I liked about this issue was
    Luke calling Aphra out on her recklessness and splashing cold water on any "relationship" rumors being speculated on.

And these parasites just aren't compelling villains. I groaned when the Queen parasite was revealed to have survived and taken another host at the end, in cliche horror film fashion.

cwustudent likes this.
  4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Only one problem with that proposal - it requires Immonen on art.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

Oh they teased it even more in the very last panels the two characters were in when they were both flying off. But if a Luke/Aphra thing does happen it definitely won't happen for awhile (at least not until the time of ROTJ) as it shouldn't since Luke does still show some interest in Leia in ESB.

vncredleader likes this.
  6. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    HeatherAntos - can you confirm that Poe Dameron 7 and the annual will be collected as 7 in particular was missing from The Gathering Storm TPB?

thanks!

7. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    Sorry DBL post accidentally

8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, that's really weird.

9. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    Three new collected editions have shown up on Amazon, and it remains a sad time for hardcover collectors.

Star Wars: Jedi of the Republic - Mace Windu
    Paperback – Mar 6 2018

Star Wars: Doctor Aphra Vol. 2
    Paperback – Feb 20 2018

Star Wars Legends Epic Collection: Legacy Vol. 2
    Paperback – Jan 30 2018
    COLLECTING: STAR WARS: LEGACY (2006) 20-36, 41, 0-1/2

Jedi Ben likes this.
  10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well bollocks. Thanks for the info, that's more money Marvel won't be getting.

iPodwithnomusic likes this.
  11. iPodwithnomusic

Nov 23, 2012

The author actually mentioned this on twitter. As I expected, issue #7 will be included in the vol 3 TPB. While this looks nonsensical at first, they have actually grouped it so the vol 1 & 2 TPBs are only Phil Noto artwork, while the vol 3 TPB is Angel Unzueta artwork (from what we've seen so far). Even though #7 was called The Gathering Storm, it didn't really have any connection to the rest of The Gathering Storm issues, so perhaps the plot will fit in better with the vol 3 issues. Based on some of the solicited covers, I think this will be the case.

Endol likes this.
  12. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Just an update on how the Marvel Star Wars comics are continuing to sale about two and a half years in. For the month of June five titles were in the top 30. Only ones lagging behind a bit were the Poe Dameron issues (which Marvel seems to just be allowing to finish up its story at this point), the Droids issue, and the Rogue One adaption.

That probably is the type of numbers we will continue to see for the next decade or two while the movies are still regularly coming out. Not mind blowing numbers like we saw for the first six months where practically every Star Wars title was landing in the top 10 but still very very good. This also will leave room open to do more original titles like Aphra (as Aphra is still continuing to sell well almost 10 issues into its run).

I could see the next big test run would be launching a series wrapped around stories and new characters in a time period that isn't rooted in the movies.

13. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    I know Star Wars isn't supposed to really have any presence at SDCC but will the comics at least be represented?

14. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    I wouldn't think there would be much to report. Their upcoming titles (likely through the end of the year) have already been announced. The new Darth Vader series is just starting out. Aphra will very likely get a second year. Poe might be finishing up but it will still likely go through issue 24 or 25 to finish up its story. I suspect we won't see more announcements by them until after TLJ comes out.

15. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    Marvel October 2017 solicitations

[​IMG]
    STAR WARS #37
    JASON AARON (W) • SALVADOR LARROCA (A)
    Cover by MIKE MAYHEW
    Action Figure Variant Cover by JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER
    Star Wars 40th Anniversary Variant Cover by GREG SMALLWOOD
    • SCAR Squadron is back...with their deadliest attack yet!
    40 PGS./Rated T …$4.99
    Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization. Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2017 Lucasfilm Ltd.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    JOURNEY TO STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI - CAPTAIN PHASMA #3 & 4 (of 4)
    KELLY THOMPSON (W) • MARCO CHECCHETTO (A)
    CoverS by PAUL RENAUD
    Variant Cover by DAVID LOPEZ (Issue #3)
    Variant Cover by MIKE MAYHEW (Issue #3)
    Variant Cover by ROD REIS (Issue #4)
    Variant Cover by ELSA CHARRETIER (Issue #4)
    Movie Variant Cover Also Available (Issues #3 & 4)
    • Phasma and Pilot are in disguise!
    • After tracking down a First Order officer to a mysterious planet, Captain Phasma finds herself leading a new army against a new threat.
    • Find out how the biggest and baddest officer of the Galactic First Order makes her way across the galaxy before she reunites with her team in THE LAST JEDI.
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99
    Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization. Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2017 Lucasfilm Ltd.

[​IMG]
    DARTH VADER #6
    Charles Soule (W) • GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI (A)
    Cover by FRANCESCO MATTINA
    Darth Vader…meet THE INQUISITORIUS!
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

[​IMG]
    STAR WARS: POE DAMERON #20
    CHARLES SOULE (W)
    ANGEL UNZUETA (A)
    Cover by PHIL NOTO
    Star Wars 40th Anniversary
    Variant Cover by BRIAN LEVEL
    • General Leia Organa gave Poe Dameron an important task...
    • ...locate the mysterious Lor San Tekka!
    • And our hero may be closer than he thinks!
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
    Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization.
    Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2017 Lucasfilm Ltd.

[​IMG]
    STAR WARS: JEDI OF THE REPUBLIC - MACE WINDU #3 (of 5)
    MATT OWENS (W) • DENYS COWAN (A)
    Cover by JESUS SAIZ
    Variant Cover by JULIAN TOTINO TEDESCO
    Variant Cover by DECLAN SHALVEY
    • Mace and his squad’s first mission of the newly begun Clone Wars continues!
    • What do the Separatists want with the planet of Hissrich?
    • Can Mace overcome mercenary droid AD-W4 to stop them?
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
    Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization.
    Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2017 Lucasfilm Ltd.

[​IMG]
    STAR WARS: DOCTOR APHRA #13
    KIERON GILLEN (W) • KEV WALKER (A)
    Cover by KAMOME SHIRAHAMA
    Variant Cover by RAHZZAH
    • Doctor Aphra’s had a plan to auction off an artificial Jedi intelligence in order to make some major credits.
    • Unfortunately, things haven’t exactly gone according to plan…
    • Darth Vader is back, and our rogue archaeologist is less dead than he thought he had left her.
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

16. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    That SCAR Squadron cover looks great! Always happy to see them. :storm::greensaber:

iPodwithnomusic likes this.
  17. iPodwithnomusic

Nov 23, 2012
    Really excited at seeing SCAR squadron and the grand inquisitor. Looks like Poe is getting close to episode 7, unless the cover and description are purposely deceptive. I wonder if they're gonna end the series at episode 7 or go past it with tie-ins to episode 8? Also I'm really curious what to expect for the Phasma series, I really hope we get to learn more about her character and the first order and it's not just tie-in filler.

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  18. Old Rex

Old Rex Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 28, 2015
    If there's a major war between the Resistance and First Order that erupts in The Last Jedi, leaving a years-long gap between VIII and IX, then I could see Poe Dameron really picking up steam next year. Otherwise, it should end when he finds Lor San Tekka.

Poe Dameron has done nothing but spin its wheels for 17 issues, in my opinion, and it's become a rather tedious read. It's a shame because I really enjoy Soule's other Star Wars work, but it reads like he's handcuffed by the restriction to not take the narrative past The Force Awakens.

On another note, I'm really confused and disappointed about the lack of hardcovers. Were they not selling well? Does anyone have any info at all about this?

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Dunno, I haven't seen anything either. You're not the only one who finds it odd.

20. Old Rex

Old Rex Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 28, 2015

Yeah, I figured you'd be irked by it, too. I just don't get it; how bad could Star Wars HCs really have done when the individual issues seem to be doing just fine? Or could Marvel have felt too many people were HC waiting, so they took them off the schedule to try to force them/us to buy the TPBs? It's just damn strange, especially for a massive IP like Star Wars.

21. Qel

Qel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2007
    I've been waiting for more HCs too, kind of thinking at this point I'll give it 6 months and maybe think about selling the ones I have if there aren't any more announced.

22. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Even though Star Wars sells very well at the same time though I would imagine it is a little less of a collectors item than say super hero stories that have been around for seventy years.

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Au contraire, Jammin. If it hadn't been for the SW books selling a ton for the last 2-3 years Marvel would have been screwed! The bulk of their sales are way down, they've been reliant on SW to save their bacon.

Plus, in terms of OHC / Omnibus, Marvel issued the Gillen Vader as first 2 OHCs then an Omnibus that collected the entirety.

It's true that the format is a niche product, but it's one that Marvel actually led on way back when - early 2000s, so it's not one that's been a loss for them. The bigger problem is they've reduced the production values over the last couple of years and it shows, which could see sales reduce.

Jedi Jessy likes this.
  24. iPodwithnomusic

Nov 23, 2012
    I just noticed something else in the solicitations, the Poe Dameron v3 TPB confirmed something I have long suspected:
    Collecting STAR WARS: POE DAMERON #7 and #14-19.

25. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    Interesting. I guess that means the Annual will be in Volume 4 with the next arc.