main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Comics Marvel Star Wars: General News & Trades Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 7, 2015.

1. The comic will be legends but canonically is not part of the EU I do not understand why they pulled this comic from the new continuity

2. Old Rex

Old Rex Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 28, 2015
    I'd be fine with a 25 issue run for Doctor Aphra, especially since that's where Gillen's Darth Vader ended. Depending on what happens long-term with the character, it's possible that's where Poe Dameron will end, too.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

3. Qel

Qel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2007
    I don't think anyone would be surprised if Poe ended soon, it's just a question of what do they replace it with? another sequel era series informed by TLJ or something else?

4. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Jason Aaron leaving the main Star Wars series is sad news to me. He gets a lot of flack for the last few arcs but I felt like his characterizations and dialogue for the Big Three were always on point. Knowing he was writing those characters meant that the mainline series was always something I looked forward to even when I wasn't always completely invested in the story. With Gillen I know the main series is in good hands, but Aaron will without a doubt be missed.

Qel likes this.
  5. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I've read some of the posts and let me tell you. The star wars line of Marvel has done phenomenal since its been releasing comics 01-2015. Everyone one of them has been in the top 100 in sales. That is very impressive, despite the fact that some titles resonate more with some than others. With that said, the Darth Maul was a very strong book and looking forward to the Mace Windu one. I hope that in the future, they have plans for a Cad Bane, Count Dooku, Boba Fett, and Jango Fett book. Those 4 characters are kool and offer a lot of variety in terms of story telling. The Poe series, I could care less and hope it ends soon and replaced with a better series. The Aphra series has been interesting and have enjoyed all the issues so far. The new Darth Vader series shows a lot of promise. Already three issues in and I am loving it. The 40th anniversary hardcover, yeah that was a given, though I wish they came out with a second volume of variant cover edition. That would be awesome.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  6. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Gillen has recently said on Twitter that he's planning the second year of the Aphra series, so it seems it will go at least until issue #24.

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I wouldn't assume Aaron is off SW based just on a trade listing, as all that could mean is it includes a story by Gillen.

The Positive Fan likes this.
  8. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    Just as long as it doesn't spur, Aphra is Rose's mom threads.

Although, I think I will always enjoy an Aphra is always out for herself characterization over her having a "greater purpose". Not everyone that is anti-Empire needs to be pro-Rebellion. There is so much more room in the universe to have more than those two binaries.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

Senpezeco and Qel like this.
  9. Darth Kickass

Darth Kickass Jedi Master star 3

Aug 3, 2013

I sincerely hope this Legends banner is some sort of mistake. It's always been stated that Son of Dathomir is the FIRST piece of the NEU to be released post-acquisition by Disney. It was adapted from unused TCW scripts and is supposed to be considered canon. Maybe the Legends banner is being applied due to the inclusion of the additional material?

Revanfan1 and cwustudent like this.
  10. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    No, only The Son of The Dathomir, no other things, in the time of the release here, it was really controversal about the Legends logo.

Darth Kickass likes this.
  11. Darth Kickass

Darth Kickass Jedi Master star 3

Aug 3, 2013

Oh okay, so that's the TPB that was released in '14? Weird! I've been waiting for Marvel to re-release this for a long time as I missed the TPB Darkhorse released originally.

12. Diego Lucas

Dec 12, 2015
    This version that i have was release last year, 2 years after the begin of the legends, they had time to know the Canon/Legends, and Panini Brazil missed really bad.

PongKrell and Darth Kickass like this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I like Jason Aaron on the main Star Wars book too, he has some big wacky ideas and cool moments. If anything, I'd hope he takes the story right up to ESB. When they eventually get there (I keep thinking issue #50 and then a relaunch) feel free to shake it up.

The Positive Fan likes this.
  14. lowell

lowell Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 11, 2014
  15. PongKrell

PongKrell Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 17, 2016
    That image is the new Marvel re-release, it won't have the Legends banner on it and they haven't pulled it from the new continuity as far as I know.

I just thought it was strange to bundle a story that is canon with some stories that aren't.

16. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Cool. Thanks. Maybe all this talk has been over nothing than. Be interesting what they do after issue #50. My guess is they relaunch it with Luke, Han, and Leia still at the leads but it will either be a post Battle of Jakku series or a post ESB series.

17. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012

I'm hoping it will re-launch as a post-ESB Luke, Leia, and Lando series. The time period between ESB and RotJ hasn't been explored very much in the new canon, but I'd love to see what they could do with it. That, and you can never have too much Lando :p .

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  18. Old Rex

Old Rex Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 28, 2015

Interesting. I suppose we'll see where he takes it, then.

On a different note, I noticed that at the end of Darth Maul 5 was an ad for the new Mace Windu series stating Next Issue: Mace Windu! Considering Darth Maul is considered Book 1 based on its Scroll pages, are Darth Maul and Mace Windu considered part of the same sub-series?

19. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    I mean, if you really wanted to you could say that the character miniseries are a series of miniseries, but I guess that'd probably be stretching it a bit.

20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Is there an OHC that has "Anakin and Obi-Wan" in it yet? Cuz I get the feeling Marvel may end up putting "Son of Dathmoir", "Darth Maul", "Mace Windu" and "Anakin and Obi-Wan" into a big OHC of Old Republic stuff.

PongKrell likes this.
  21. Diego Lucas

Dec 12, 2015
    MARVEL’S STAR WARS SERIES GETS NEW CREATIVE TEAM

KIERON GILLEN AND SALVADOR LAROCCA WILL TAKE THE REINS THIS NOVEMBER WITH STAR WARS #38.

Marvel’s flagship Star Wars title has new masters now.
    Kieron Gillen and Salvador Larocca, the writer-artist team behind the critically-acclaimed Darth Vader series, will take over Marvel’s Star Wars beginning with issue #38 this fall.
    “My aim’s simple – to do what Salva and I did with Darth Vader, but for Leia, Luke and Han. As in, chart the rise and fall of the Rebellion between A New Hope and the Empire Strikes Back, how it changes them all and how it changes the universe,” said Gillen. “So a simple aim, but as nightmarishly tricky to pull off as dropping a proton torpedo down a thermal exhaust port. But hopefully as thrilling if we pull it off. I can’t wait till you see it up. First up: the post-apocalyptic hell that remains of Jedha after the Death Star punched a hole through its mantle.” Get a first look at David Marquez’s cover for Star Wars #38 below.
    [​IMG]
    Gillen, currently writing the fan-favorite Doctor Aphra, comes to the series following a major crossover event with Star Wars in “The Screaming Citadel.”
    “Kieron is one of the best writers in comics today, with comics that span so many different styles and genres,” said editor Jordan D. White. “He’s shown through the crossovers with his Darth Vader and Doctor Aphra series that he has just as great a grasp on the heroes of the Star Wars galaxy as he does on its villains (and gray-area archaeologists). And any fan of his knows he’s no stranger to the operatic saga! I could not be happier to have him taking the reins.”

http://www.starwars.com/news/marvels-star-wars-series-gets-new-creative-team

22. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Luke and Aphra sitting in a tree. K-I-S-S-I-N-G.

Seriously though I am thrilled that it is finally official as I feel Gillen is the best writer doing Star Wars right now. It is slightly surprising though that he is picking up at issue #38 though. Seems like an odd place to decide to start a new writer. Wonder if Aaron wanted off the book? Even though the series has been criticized in certain circles it is still a consistent top 10 seller so he obviously wasn't doing anything that would warrant a replacement.

Darth_Voider likes this.
  23. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I'm excited about this. I loved Jason Arron's work; he really understood the big three and wrote great arcs. I had a lot of fun with his books. However, I do feel like Gillen will do a better job at giving an overarching story to the books. This article seems to prove that with the mention of doing what he did with Vader and thinking about the story of the Rebellion during these years. It seems he will tie the big three more tightly towards the war going forward which is necessary. And he does write all of the characters very well. I also do appreciate the tighter narrative in his books. Both Aphra and Vader had a clear goal from the first issue and continued to develop it into future arcs. While I am sad to see Aaron leave, I'm looking forward to Gillen's style coming to Star Wars and think he will fix the few complaints I have. I hope he does take up a new book in the Star Wars universe. It would be disappointing to have Jason Aaron leave the saga. He gets the universe a lot and has a lot to contribute.

The article seems to indicate we are still fairly close to ANH with the focus being on the aftermath of Yavin still. I think Gillen will use the next two arcs or so to finish up the first year.

iPodwithnomusic and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  24. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    At first I think the main series was just intended to be fun romp of adventures with the main characters of the OT. And it worked perfectly fine that way for the first year or so. However after the Vader Down arc it started being evident that something more was probably needed to keep people's interest than just one random big three adventure after another. Maybe long overarching storylines isn't Aaron's strong suit as a writer.

25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Going to miss Aaron, although I will say I think my favourite stuff he did was the first 12 issues (particularly that 1st issue which I think is all kinds of awesome). Would have liked to see his 50-issue plot play out and take it to ESB.

But Gillen on the main book? Oh, yes please. His few times he's written Han, Luke and Leia during crossovers have been a blast and would like to see more. And since it's Gillen, hopefully he'll find a way to bring Darth Vader back into the book more as well.