main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Comics Marvel Star Wars: General News & Trades Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 7, 2015.

1. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    I can honestly say that I get the "I can't wait for the next issue feeling" When reading the Aphra books. The first and current arc because I am excited to read them. The Screaming Citadel arc because I couldn't wait for it to end ;)

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

2. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I feel the same but for the current Vader comic. And yeah, I felt the same way too for Screaming Citadel and the Yoda arc for the same reason as you.

3. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    I am LOVING the new Vader comic. The preview pages that got posted, I almost considered not reading them, but I was weak and I did. Then immediately regretted it, as it feels like a form of torture to not be able to read the rest, right now.

I really wasn't expecting much when the series got announced, but between Vader (2017) and Aphra, I am loving Marvel comics right now. The Maul mini that wrapped up was better than average but disappointed me in scope. Added value for Bane/Sing co-stars. And the Rogue One adaptation is a perfect example of how all adaptations should be done going forward. It enhances the movie from me, instead of beating into the ground like Force Awakens did.

4. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    I always read the previews, I just can't help myself :p

I was looking forward to the new Vader comic right from the announcement, since it covers my favourite SW era. And Aprha is fantastic too, I want more series with original characters! I'm sure we will get more eventually, but the sooner the better.

I liked the Maul mini, but the inclusion of Bane&Sing and the other cameos (e.g. Hondo, the Pykes...) weren't exactly my thing as I got the "small universe" feel a bit. If I could have it my way, I'd include brand new bounty hunter characters, but overall it's a minor complaint. And yeah, Rogue One is a good template for how to adapt movies into comics.

5. Jedha John

Jedha John Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 19, 2017
    The Aphra series and the Vader series are definitely my favorite comics right now and I have that "can't wait for the next issue" feeling for both of these series.. I love the "Doctor Aphra and the Enormous Profit" arc as the dialogue and new characters are really what won me over on this series and those are the strengths of the new arc. And with Vader about to enter the plot, August 9 can't come fast enough. And with the Vader volume 2, really intrigued by the Jedi Master Infil'a and want to learn more about the vow (and why he took it). As tatooinesandworm wrote, it will be very interesting to see how Infil'a processes the present state of the galaxy.

6. The Aphra and Star Wars series are ok the Vader series are meh for now

7. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I've only read the previews for Vader 2.0, but I can't say I'm overly impressed so far. More of the same Vader story I've been reading for years now; Vader encounters tough opponent, Vader almost gets beaten by said opponent, Vader somehow survives something tremendous that would kill anyone else because Dark Side is powerful, then Vader comes back and kills opponent. I'd be delighted if they ever ventured off this stale formula, and sometimes it seemed Gillen's Vader run would do this, but I'm not actually convinced it can be done. Vader is a very one note character when used outside the films.

As to the 'earlier vote with your wallet' thing. I have already done so. I don't buy any of the Larrocca stuff.

On a more positive though, I've finished Darth Maul and it's by far the best comic series Marvel has done. A really good chance to spend time with an overlooked character, a well selected and good supporting cast of characters, an interesting and new story which changes the central character and reveals fascinating details about other characters, a satisfying conclusion, and stunning and consistent artwork.

8. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    It depends on why you are reading the comic. Personally, I am super into the early dark times era, so I'm reading it more for that than I do for Vader. And so far, I am very satisfied. Come the second arc, things should get even more interesting with the introduction of the early inquisitors, so there might be an extra reason why to read the new Vader series :) But, to each their own.

9. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    I am so excited to see the
    Inquisitor Arena
    I hope it lives up the the hype I am building for it in my head.

cwustudent and spicer like this.
  10. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Oh, your post just reminded me - shame on me for forgetting to say a HUGE thank you to the Marvel editors here HeatherAntos Jordan D. White

Awhile ago (can't remember in which thread) I posted that I would like to see a comic series that would cover the early days of the Inquisitorius. Well, it seems that from the second arc of the new Vader series onward we'll be getting exactly that. So my wish has been granted! See guys, the Marvel people here do read and listen to our feedback =D=

THANK YOU MARVEL! I'm highly anticipating the upcoming issues of the new Vader :)

11. Jedha John

Jedha John Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 19, 2017
    So what you're telling me is that my pleas on these boards for a 600+ issue run for the Doctor Aphra series has a chance.

12. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    It does if enough of us join you.

I second the motion.

BigAl6ft6 and Jedha John like this.
  13. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Gillen's run did do this. The first Vader series never fell into that trope at any point.

14. Commander_Andersen

Commander_Andersen Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 10, 2004

I think that's the beauty of Gillen's work - it helps that it's about the long game, rather than a "story of the week" or short-term story arc over 4/5/6 comics.

15. What I liked in this new series of Vader is that Vader still does not get used to his suit
    I was afraid they would show a strong Vader in such a short time

Its would it be more logical to show Vader trying to adapt to his new body than show a strong Vader

in Legends Vader fighting with 8 Jedi and Vader manages to face them while in Canon Vader he can not beat a one Jedi that is curious

spicer likes this.
  16. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah though sadly sometimes Gillan cares to much about continuing a massive long game that he loses character moments and breathing room. His Vader run has this over emphasis on plot point to plot point a bit though not nearly as bad as his IM. I would love to see him do more isolated stories in SW. I like his overarching but sometimes he focuses to much on the massive stuff.

Commander_Andersen likes this.
  17. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Are you referring to Purge: Last Stand of the Jedi? If yes, then it should be noted that Vader didn't win on his own, but received help from clone troopers. If the clones didn't arrive on time, Vader would have most likely died. He did manage to kill some of the Jedi, but he got quite beat up in the process.

18. I know that comic was amazing but at least Vader did fight with the Jedi And Vader's fight against the new Jedi has left Vader almost shattered easily

19. Commander_Andersen

Commander_Andersen Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 10, 2004
    Good point. I think he's achieved a better balance with Aphra. I quite like how it sometimes takes a few reads of the comic to pick up on everything.

20. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Man I saw this post about 600 issues about stories of Aphra and started my own story of what 600 issues of stories of Aphra could be like. Started out ok. With her simply going to the Rebelion so they could keep her safe from Vader. Her and Luke building a friendship and then romance over the years to the point where they finally got married after the Battle of Jakku happened. Then Aphra helps Luke start up his Acadamey. Started losing the story though when I started trying to include Ben and Rey into it (and no I didn't make Aphra Rey's mom I simply had Rey being one of the kids they brought in during the first several years the Acadamey was going). So one thing I learned from my quick little attempt at a fan fiction. Ben will be at Luke's acadamey. Could even make sense that Rey was there for a period of time. However Aphra definitely will not be there helping Luke run the Acadamey. If Aphra and Luke have a relationship it will be long over by the time Luke starts his acadamey up and his students start falling to Snoke.

Jedha John and Darth_Voider like this.
  21. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Note to Marvel: don't do this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darth_Pevra and spicer like this.
  22. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Note to Marvel: Yes, please do this. :p :p :p

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

vncredleader likes this.
  23. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Vader Down. Also, the Vader series has him going up against increasingly stronger and weirder freaks. The most obvious use of the trope was against the rancor and the laser beams girl.

I totally get that there's a good following for the Vader series, I just don't see the appeal in this kind of power fantasy where writers repeatedly throw enemies at Vader to die. Where Gillen succeeded for me wwas creating a secondary character in Dr Aphra that played a large role and elevated the material above the single note of 'Dark Side is uber power'.

cwustudent likes this.
  24. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    True, but the circumstances differ. Let's break them down.

Darth Vader: The Chosen One #3:
    - Vader has been in the suit for less than a week, and is still getting accustomed to his new body
    - Vader doesn't have a lightsaber
    - Vader goes to face Kirak almost right after he is put in the suit from the operating table. Just days before, he fought several thugs and clone troopers, getting hit by blaster fire during both fights. When he finally finds Kirak, he is first submerged underwater and attacked by large birds. So Vader didn't fight Kirak fully rested (as debatable the issue of resting is when it comes to Vader)
    - An important detail - Kirak is an experienced Jedi Master that is almost exclusively devoted to combat; he is by no means your average Jedi

Purge: Last Stand of the Jedi:
    - Vader has been in the suit for a full month - sufficiently long to get used to his new self
    - Vader had a lightsaber
    - Vader goes to face the 8 Jedi Masters rested, as he goes to Kessel straight from Coruscant
    - He manages to kill 4 of the 8 Jedi all by himself with relative ease
    - However, the Jedi do manage to score several hits. The ONLY Jedi that manages to injure Vader entirely by himself was Jastus Farr; the remaining injuries that Vader sustained were inflicted upon him by several Jedi working together. At the end, a small battalion of clones arrives and kills the 3 surviving Jedi. If the clones didn't come to Vader's aid, it is almost certain that Tsui Choi, Roblio Darte and Jastus Farr would have killed Vader then and there

In summation, Vader was in a much better condition when he faced the Jedi on Kessel than when he did Kirak. The odds are greatly against him in his fight with Kirak, much more than in the fight on Kessel.

25. Jam Lacobus

Jam Lacobus Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 4, 2015
    Using Wookieepedia I worked out how much left there is to go. I added up all the issues ever released by Dark Horse, then all the issues in Epic Collections and worked out a percentage. 42%. This is rough figure and doesn't take into account Newspaper strips or Marvel OG years, as I already own them in Omnibuses. Also, it includes the Epic Collections announced but not yet released. They've been going 2 1/2 years so far. So *very* roughly, I reckon they should be all out by 2020.