main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Comics Marvel Star Wars: General News & Trades Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 7, 2015.

1. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    In your dimension maybe :p

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I don't know, but DHC really didn't post the numbers that Marvel has done for almost three years since they started there second run. The DHC comics that I really liked was the Brian Wood 20 issue run with the regular OT characters, the 4 issue arc with the OT characters and the 8 issue run for the original star wars. Those last three really sold really well and posted higher in the diamonds top 100. I enjoyed Legacy and KOTOR, and at times Dark Times but, what happened to me by this time was that the series was about other characters in the star wars universe as opposed to the star wars movie characters within their own universe. I didn't realize it at first, but I missed seeing the adventures in comic of the OT characters. heck even the prequel ones too. I think that DHC got too carried away with too many side characters than movie characters.. I guess that's why I'm enjoying the heck out of every issue from star wars marvel.

3. kalzeth

kalzeth Jedi Master star 3

Aug 26, 2017
    Wishful thinking ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Yeah it's nice to see comics wrap series around original characters occasionally but it's not really a good plan to do it too often. Even if creating their own stuff seems more original than just telling stories of movie characters over and over again the original characters are never going to sell as well as the movie characters are going to. Best plan is probably to devote one series to original characters and then the other series will be wrapped around characters fans are already familiar with.

5. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    NYCC starts today! Hoping for some good comic and/or book news!

kalzeth likes this.
  6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The idea that DHC could ever match Marvel is, well, it's certainly a delusion of grandeur. DHC punch above their weight in the comics world, but they remain a small company. Their sales levels and expectations for their titles reflect this.

Marvel has the resources to do marketing on a scale DHC could only dream of and that marketing has in turn reaped them major sales, arguably far in excess of what even they expected. Without the SW line Marvel would be in a very bad way.

La Calavera and kalzeth like this.
  7. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    When the subject of comparing the sales from Marvel and Dark Horse was brought up I Iooked at comichron real quick to see the old sales charts Dark Horse had with Star Wars. The Brian Wood Star Wars series (which I believe ended up being one of the best selling Star Wars series Dark Horse put out ) had a #1 that sold 39,000. In comparison Marvel's Aphra series (which isn't one of the better selling Star Wars series Marvel has put out) had a issue #11 that sold 36,000.

So that is pretty much the difference I think. One of Marvel's lower selling Star Wars series has to get halfway through its run to drop to the numbers that were the height of Dark Horse sales.

Like Ben said it probably is largely due to advertisement abilities of the two companies. Star Wars is definitely reaching a lot more people now though through the comic industry. I wonder though if all the added fans Star Wars comics has now simply weren't getting Star Wars comics when it was under Dark Horse. Maybe they just didn't know about it back then? I wouldn't think there would be too many people that were so hardcore about which company they got stuff from that they simply wouldn't get Star Wars stuff just because Dark Horse was doing it?

Jedi Ben and kalzeth like this.
  8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Thursday's kinda the nothing day though*. The announcements start on Friday and kick into high gear over the weekend.

*as far as announcements go

9. Captain RX

Captain RX Jedi Master star 2

Jul 30, 2014
    Does anyone know which panel exactly is going to have Star Wars comic announcements?

kalzeth likes this.
  10. DJT

DJT Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 2, 2017
    I gotta admit, the more I read the latest Marvel Star Wars flagship comic book series, the more I begin to think that Jason Aaron should write a Star Wars film.

11. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Nah. The last few issues have just played more to Aaron's strength as a writer in my opinion. I think he is much better at crafting single issue short stories than he is at making longer overarching stories.

In the beginning his style was fine because all people were really looking for from the series was fun adventure romps about the big 3. Once though people began wanting the series to actually start going somewhere that is when the line started getting a little frustrating. Probably no coincidence at all that the new writer they brought in for the series ability to weave together long overarching storylines seems to be a real strength of his.

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Hmm, ever read Scalped Jammin?

EDIT: Looks like Heather has!

HeatherAntos likes this.
  13. gioA

gioA Jedi Knight

Nov 13, 2014
    Does anyone know if marvel are continuing the collected hardbacks for the main star wars range? I loved the first two and would rather wait than go back to the trade paperback route.

14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Nope.

Like you I much prefer the OHC editions.

The one potential bright spot is Marvel's catalogue for 2018 is only known for up to the end of April - so plenty of space for some new ones.

Opting for OHC editions does tend to put the wait into tradewaiting.

15. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Any new Marvel Star Wars series so far revealed? Besides the IDW weekly.

kalzeth likes this.
  16. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Nope. Not yet. We'll have to see if anything gets announced today. It is possible that that Forces of Destiny reveal was the comic announcement that that tweet was talking about the other day.

kalzeth likes this.
  17. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    You know I was looking at the past couple of years of NYCC and here's what I got.
    2014. Kanan: The Last Padawan announcement. (Saturday)
    2015. Obi-Wan and Anakin announcement. (Saturday)
    2016. I couldn't find an announcement of anything comic related.
    Am I wrong about last year? Did I overlook something really obvious?

18. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Currently we have four ongoings going right now. The Mace Windu mini, and the Phasma special. Coming up we have the one shot with Luke and Leia and then the Thrawn adaption early next year. They have plenty announced already so it wouldn't be surprising if they don't announce anything this weekend.

19. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I could see them announcing something TLJ related, but maybe they want to wait till closer to film.

kalzeth likes this.
  20. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    I'm also waiting Marvel to announce new OHC editions from Star Wars.
    Not only v.3, but I really want both the Han Solo and the Obi Wan and Anakin mini series to be collected in an OHC like Heroes for A New Hope.
    Still waiting...

Jedi Ben likes this.
  21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yep, my expectations would be that eventually we get:
    • A second miniseries OHC set
    • Star Wars OHC3 (though I'm lukewarm based on chatter around the post-Vader Down issues)
    • Poe Dameron OHC1-2
    • Aphra OHC1 possibly including Screaming Citadel
    • Vader (v2) OHC1

Giovs likes this.
  22. Rebel-Jedi

Rebel-Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 26, 2005
    I'm wondering when the next volumes of the Star Wars Epic Collections of the Original Marvel Years and the Newspaper Strips will be released?

23. Captain RX

Captain RX Jedi Master star 2

Jul 30, 2014
    We aren’t getting new announcements are we :(

BigAl6ft6 and kalzeth like this.
  24. lordpixie

lordpixie Jedi Master star 2

Aug 30, 2015
    hi im new to this ! long time lurker so hi to all ! i hope we get sum news on the OHC as i started to collect them after reading this forum and not looked back dont want to have to go back to trades.

25. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    yeah, the OHC are nice. I don’t have many since they are more expensive, but I do hope they keep making them.

Ben09 likes this.