main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Comics Marvel Star Wars: General News & Trades Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Nearly had a heart attack scrolling over that Tag & Bink cover and thinking they were releasing new material. :p

Loving the SW #47 cover with the Mon Cal and shattered stormie helmet.

So we've learned Paolo Villanelli is the artist for Lando: Double or Nothing. I remember he pencilled and inked the third issue of the Rogue One adaptation. Any other SW work I'm forgetting?

iPodwithnomusic likes this.
  2. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I don' t like reading the descriptions under the solicitations because I don't want to read spoilers for future issues, so for those who are like me, here's a list of what we can look forward to in May.

As always, keep and eye on this thread for official release dates as all below are subject to change.

5/2/2018
    STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI ADAPTATION #1 (of 6)
    STAR WARS #47

5/9/2018
    STAR WARS: THRAWN #4 (OF 6)
    DARTH VADER #16

5/16/2018
    STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI ADAPTATION #2 (of 6)
    STAR WARS: POE DAMERON #27
    STAR WARS #48

5/23/2018
    STAR WARS ANNUAL #4
    STAR WARS: DOCTOR APHRA #20

5/30/2018
    STAR WARS: TAG & BINK WERE HERE #1
    STAR WARS: LANDO – DOUBLE OR NOTHING #1 (of 5)

EDIT: IDW's Star Wars Adventures #10 is slated for a May release as well.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    lordpixie likes this.
  3. lordpixie

lordpixie Jedi Master star 2

Aug 30, 2015
    Doctor APHRA Vol 1 HC issues 1-8 the screaming citadel 1 and SW 31-32 Thats 4 HC this year up to now !

Jedi Ben and iPodwithnomusic like this.
  4. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    [​IMG]

lordpixie likes this.
  5. lordpixie

Aug 30, 2015
    So is the poe comic going to beset after TLJ ? as im sure we see the first time poe and rey meet in TLJ ?

6. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I think, canonically, they don't really meet until TLJ. But the novelization of TFA had them meeting sooner. So this will be a good way to judge which they're going with. My best is on TLJ, but you never know.

BigAl6ft6 and kalzeth like this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Good to see the expected Aphra OHC has turned up. Doesn't seem to have a release date though?

8. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I think Pablo has already said that if there are contradictions in anyway the movie always still trumps all.

9. lordpixie

Aug 30, 2015
    So when are we taking bets on the next OHC;) im betting Poe vol 1.

10. iPodwithnomusic

Nov 23, 2012
    I'm betting Darth Vader by Soule & Camuncoli vol 1 is next. That series is selling very well so I'm sure they'd like to capitalize on that. They seem to be really taking their time with the Poe Dameron OHC, and considering how slow the series started I think they might just wait until it ends and put out one big omnibus. Just my guess though.

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    They also triple-dipped on Gillen's Vader!

12. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Yeah that Aphra OHC looks great, but I'm holding to see if a Omnibus will be coming later.

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    When they did the Vader Omnibus, the overall cost was higher than buying the individual OHCs! Worth bearing in mind.

14. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    You're not wrong, even with the lower prices online for the Omnibus is still is cheaper by about 10 to 15 US dollars to get the individual OHCs.

15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    The end of TLJ is the first time Finn, Rey, and Poe are all together physically and consciously, so it has to be sometime after.

16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    10 new issues in May! 10!

Also I have the DH "Tag and Bink" trade but I'm wondering does it have the "Materiel from Star Wars #12" like this one will?

I guess a big reason for this reprinting is (potential movie spoiler)

that Tag & Bink are supposed to be in Solo.

I already personally No Prized Rey and Poe's meeting in TFA novel and on screen in Last Jedi: they have a "thing" where she introduces herself to him and he says "I know." Or they both sustain quite a lot of head injuries during TLJ so they forget they already met a few days ago.

Also if Poe is relating the story to Rey and Finn then I think we're officially going beyond the end of Last Jedi, yay! For a story framing device. Well at least we know the Falcon didn't blow up in hyperspace or whatever.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  17. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    If they do plan on having the Poe series go on a lot longer I'm surprised they aren't restarting at #1 for the post TFA period. The single issue sales for the Poe series are beginning to come close to what some on here have said is cancellation territory for Marvel. Issue #23 sold 25,000. Maybe since all the trades are consistently selling as well as they are they aren't too concerned about the sales of the single issues.

18. lordpixie

Aug 30, 2015
    I think you maybe right! i wonder if marvel has different rules for star wars ? and im not sure but i don't think we have had any SW comics cancelled under marvel as of yet.

19. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Not for sales reasons I don't believe. THe original Vader series was still a top 10 seller when it had it's final issue. Closest would have probably been the Kanan series and I don't think it was cancelled due to sales but more along the lines that they told the story they wanted to tell plus they wouldn't have wanted to interfere with anything Rebels was doing.

20. iPodwithnomusic

Nov 23, 2012
    A new interview with Jordan D. White about Star Wars has been posted: https://www.newsarama.com/38795-mar...nto-through-a-new-hope-and-force-awakens.html
    Most interesting quote to me:
    I'm excited to see some more significant stories in the comics!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  21. Commander_Andersen

Commander_Andersen Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 10, 2004
    Re Star Wars #50 -

I don't think it's going to be the events of The Empire Strikes Back - I wonder if it's going to be the founding of Rogue Squadron, and the turning point for Luke to truly become "Commander Skywalker", rebel officer, rather than amateur Jedi and occasional rebel agent.

22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'd argue there's a world of difference between "cancelled" and "finished".

To me both Kanan and Gillen's Vader belong to the latter category, so I'd agree with the argument that Marvel haven't cancelled any SW books as yet.

23. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Just love the comment at the bottom where the commenter tries to say that Marvel Star Wars is selling poorly.

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    This bit was cool:

Nrama: I was excited to see so many comic artists doing concept art for The Last Jedi, including Tonci Zonjic's amazing Elite Praetorian Guards. Any chance we could see some of their talents enlisted in the Marvel line?

Zonjic has a fantastic style and has been doing excellent work with Arcudi on the Mignolaverse DHC series Lobster Johnson.

25. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Also interesting to find out that for quite awhile they planned to kill Aphra off at the end of the Vader series but then Gillen sent them an email saying how they could keep her around.

That makes me think even more that they originally were planning on doing an ongoing series following the Rogue One survivors. Then after finding out that all of them died they were trying to figure out what to do next and the idea for doing an Aphra comic came up.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    kalzeth likes this.