main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Comics Marvel Star Wars: General News & Trades Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 7, 2015.

1. JABoomer

JABoomer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2009
    So I've been collecting the Marvel Epic Collections, but I just stumbled across the Marvel omnibuses for The Original Marvel Years 1-3. There is already some issues that are contained in both an omnibuses and an Epic Collection so I'm wondering if we can expect all of the material contained in these Marvel omnibuses to be reprinted within Epic Collections in the future?

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    @Sinrebirth - I just used it!

Wordery are doing a 10% off offer - MAY4

They also have the Han Solo OHC (RRP £22.99) for £14.91
    https://wordery.com/star-wars-han-solo-marjorie-liu-9781302912109

Using the code gets this down to £13.41 - which is the best price you'll get, even though Marvel have double-dipped by bundling the Immonen arc with the mini! £13.41 is still a decent price for a 5-issue OHC.

lordpixie, Giovs and Sinrebirth like this.
  3. lordpixie

lordpixie Jedi Master star 2

Aug 30, 2015
    My hope of getting SW Action fig covers 8-12 in the Han solo OHC have been dashed ! boo hiss.:( I for one would love a OHC of just the action figure covers !

4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I was mistaken in my earlier reply to you on your other thread Boomer, they're already out!

Volume 1:

Volume 2:

Volume 3: (due July 2018)

JABoomer likes this.
  5. JABoomer

JABoomer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2009
    Yes, these are the epic collections that I've been buying. My question was will all of the material contained in the omnibuses be reprinted in the epic collections, or will some material only be found in the omnibuses. I'm not really sure how to find out. I can wait an see, but by the time they finish with the epic collections, I'm sure the omnibuses will be incredible difficult to find and expensive. That said, I don't want to buy the omnibuses if it's most/all planned to be reprinted in the epic collections.

6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    This is never that clear cut.

Some Omnibuses have been found to disappear out of print in record time, but others don't - even when Marvel have issued smaller, cheaper editions later, it might be copies of the oversized Omnibus edition are still easily obtained. It really is case by case.

I won't say it can't happen, but I'd be very surprised if there's any differences, as it's cheaper for them to print from the same files used for the earlier Omnibus editions. I'd expect no difference. The only way to be sure is to look at the contents listing very carefully, which Amazon's Inside Look will probably enable.

JABoomer likes this.
  7. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    Marvel August 2018 solicitations

[​IMG]
    STAR WARS: BECKETT #1
    GERRY DUGGAN (W) • WILL SLINEY, EDGAR SALAZAR & MARC LAMING (A)
    Cover by JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER
    VARIANT COVER BY TERRY DODSON
    MOVIE VARIANT COVER ALSO AVAILABLE
    THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE DEADLY!
    TOBIAS BECKETT taught HAN SOLO everything he knows about surviving hoodlum-filled cantinas and backwater worlds. But who is this career outlaw and why is ENFYS NEST— one of the galaxy’s most dangerous and brutal marauders — so dead set on taking him down once and for all? Find out in this original tale of a man who has gamed star system after star system, but at a cost that no heist can make up for.
    40 PGS./ONE-SHOT/Rated T …$4.99
    Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization. Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2018 Lucasfilm Ltd.

[​IMG]
    STAR WARS #52
    KIERON GILLEN (W) • SALVADOR LARROCA (A)
    Cover by DAVID MARQUEZ
    Action Figure Variant Cover by JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER
    GALACTIC ICON VARIANT COVER BY ROD REIS
    “HOPE DIES,” PART THREE
    • The MILLENNIUM FALCON versus the whole IMPERIAL FLEET? No problem.
    • A certain TIE ADVANCED STARFIGHTER piloted by a certain SITH LORD? Problem. Big problem.
    • No human can save the day. But maybe a droid can…
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
    Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization. Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2018 Lucasfilm Ltd.

[​IMG]
    DARTH VADER #19
    CHARLES SOULE (W) • GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI (A)
    Cover by GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI & ELIA BONETTI
    “FORTRESS VADER” BEGINS!
    • A JEDI makes a desperate deal.
    • THE INQUISITORS’ mission evolves.
    • DARTH VADER discovers a theft.
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

[​IMG]
    DARTH VADER #20
    CHARLES SOULE (W) • GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI (A)
    Cover by GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI & ELIA BONETTI
    “FORTRESS VADER,” PART TWO!
    • A thief faces the consequences for their crime.
    • EMPEROR PALPATINE rewards DARTH VADER with three gifts.
    • A thing, a choice and a voice.
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

[​IMG]
    STAR WARS: DOCTOR APHRA #23
    SIMON SPURRIER (W) • KEV WALKER (A)
    Cover by ASHLEY WITTER
    GOOD NEWS: THE IMPERIALS HAVE ABANDONED ACCRESKER JAIL. BAD NEWS: FIRST THEY SHOT IT AT A REBEL PLANET.
    • For unscrupulous inmate DOCTOR APHRA, accompanied by former flame SANA STARROS and current flame INSPECTOR TOLVAN…
    • (NB: Awkward.)
    • …chances to escape are dwindling fast. Good thing Aphra’s not distracted by an expensive relic, right?
    •Oh, dear.
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

[​IMG]
    STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI ADAPTATION #5 (of 6)
    GARY WHITTA (W) • MICHAEL WALSH (A)
    Cover by PAOLO RIVERA
    Variant Cover by DAVID LOPEZ
    REY CONFRONTS SNOKE AS THE
    RESISTANCE FACES EXTINCTION!
    • KYLO REN brings REY before the SUPREME LEADER — but who will turn?
    • ADMIRAL HOLDO reveals a stunning plan to save the RESISTANCE!
    • Plus! The return of CAPTAIN PHASMA as FINN and ROSE are betrayed!
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

[​IMG]
    STAR WARS: LANDO — DOUBLE OR NOTHING #4 (of 5)
    RODNEY BARNES (W) • PAOLO VILLANELLI (A)
    Cover by W. SCOTT FORBES
    VARIANT COVER BY DAVID NAKAYAMA
    THE GALAXY’S MOST DEBONAIR ROGUE!
    • Having been freed from BATALLA and his warrior clan, LANDO now faces a host of new obstacles.
    • Will he get past the STORMTROOPERS, find RYTHUS and get the arms to him and his people?
    • Is all of this possible while wearing a cape? Will his mustache start a grooming trend? All will be answered in this issue!
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

[​IMG]
    STAR WARS:pOE DAMERON ANNUAL #2
    JODY HOUSER (W)
    ANDREA BROCCARDO (A)
    Cover by ROD REIS
    VARIANT COVER BY DECLAN SHALVEY
    CAN POE DAMERON OUTMANEUVER ONE OF THE GALAXY’S GREATEST PILOTS?
    • Rebellions may be built on built on hope, but they need more than that to survive.
    • LEIA sends BLACK SQUADRON on a new mission, one that will raise important funds for THE RESISTANCE.
    • Can a group of pilots really do the work of smugglers and scoundrels?
    40 PGS./Rated T …$4.99

[​IMG]
    STAR WARS: POE DAMERON #30
    CHARLES SOULE (W)
    ANGEL UNZUETA (A)
    Cover by PHIL NOTO
    “AWAKENINGS,” PART FIVE
    • BLACK SQUADRON had its own mission during the events of THE LAST JEDI, a desperate trek across the galaxy to find aid for THE RESISTANCE, all without the help of their fearless leader, POE DAMERON. This is the beginning of the end.
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

8. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    YES. Yesyesyes. The bits of lore behind the artifacts and their sites in this series have all been so interesting and fun. The Massassi pieces and the Ordu Aspectu and the Citadel of Rur and the Rur crystal, that ancient archaeotechno-totem of a chthonic worm god of fable and horror pointy sparkly many-adjectives thing in Wat Tambor's workshop, the haunted prison and vengeful Force ghost and the relic mentioned in the solicitations for this upcoming arc... I'm really looking forward to this. And to seeing how Tolvan and Sana behave toward one another.

9. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    That description for Poe Dameron #30 makes me think that perhaps the series is nearing its end after all.

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  10. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    People have been saying similar things since issue number 6 though. :p

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    Gudenruben2, AV-6R7, Vthuil and 3 others like this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    yah until a soclit says FINAL ISSUE I'm going to assume it'll keep chugging along somehow.

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Damn, Stuart Immonen's decided to retire as a full-time artist.

It may be he'll still do the odd job here and there, but he's decided it's time to pull back from it all.
    https://www.newsarama.com/40139-immonen-elaborates-on-comics-retirement.html

Now, given he has been at this for a long time - this shouldn't be seen as surprising, but it's notable to me that of the artists Marvel put on their books, Immonen has to be one of the most highly rated.

BigAl6ft6, Kylun and tatooinesandworm like this.
  13. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    That's very disappointing, he is probably my favourite artist. His style managed to capture the movie character's likeness' very well, while still looking like traditional comic book art. Showdown on the Smuggler's Moon has, in my opinion, some of the best artwork out of any Star Wars comic, so it's a shame we'll probably never see him work on Star Wars again :(. Hopefully we at least get Checchetto working on Star Wars again after Old Man Hawkeye.

Jedi Ben and tatooinesandworm like this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Gakkkkk, he's probably my favourite artist.

Oh well, he doesn't say he's never doing it again. So, yah Stuart, let's get you on the next prestige Star Wars miniseries!

Jedi Ben likes this.
  15. Spartan061

Spartan061 Jedi Knight

Aug 14, 2011
    Is there a list anywhere that is keeping track of which issues/series haven't been published as part of an Epic Collection? I'd be very curious to see how far along Marvel is in relation to backlog completion.

darthzac14 likes this.
  16. iPodwithnomusic

Nov 23, 2012
    Does anyone have any experience with Turtleback books? I see they're selling a hardcover bounded version of Obi-Wan & Anakin. It seems Marvel is in no hurry to release a hardcover version themselves, so I'm curious if this custom binding would be a suitable replacement.

Giovs likes this.
  17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Han Solo OHC

The only flaw with this collection is Marvel double-dipping by bundling Star Wars #8-12 to up the price - when they’ve already OHC’d those. As I got this for just under £13, it’s still good enough for a 5-issure OHC.

The story itself has had quite the reputation and, for the most part, lives up to it. The one discordant note is Leia’s “cover” for Han’s departure - clocking him. As an isolated instance it’d just about work, but there’s a good few other cases that render it more poorly. For all that Leia can easily sharpshoot anyone in the head at range, she tends to be more subtle than that.

The main arc of a deadly race across space, a fatal Cannonball Run as it were, is superb. You even have the Empire interfering. It’s all brought to life by brooks’ brilliant art - he’s never going to be a monthly artist so a mini is perfect for him - as he demonstrates here.

[​IMG]

Easily one of Marvel’s best SW stories and well worth waiting for the OHC edition of.

18. iPodwithnomusic

Nov 23, 2012
    I do really want to see Mark Brooks' art in oversized format, but the double dipping is holding me back. Maybe if I can get it for a great deal I'll go for it. I also found the scene with Leia punching Han in the face a little jarring.

vncredleader and Jedi Ben like this.
  19. iPodwithnomusic

Nov 23, 2012
    I've been reading Charles Soule's blog and found an interesting piece of information that I bet will surprise a few people. While talking about the volume 4 TPB (issues #19-25), he had this to say:
    Not only is Poe Dameron doing well enough that it won't be cancelled, but it got extended! So it seems like the direct market sales numbers aren't that great for estimating sales of Star Wars comics. I figured there are a lot of Star Wars fans who don't read other comics, so they mostly buy digital or TPBs. Those sales numbers aren't reflected in the sales numbers we see, which only include sales in North American comic book stores. Considering Poe Dameron is usually the lowest selling Star Wars title in the direct market, and Marvel are very happy with it's overall sales, I don't think we'll ever have to worry about a Star Wars comic being cancelled. :)

Kylun, BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Ben like this.
  20. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    Gotta say, Doctor Aphra's comics are the best I've read thus far in all of the comics for Star Wars I've got.

21. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Yeah it will be interesting to see what ends up happening with the Poe comic. They undoubtedly will soon want to get another ongoing started (I don't think we have had a new ongoing for almost two years now) so will they end one of their existing comics to do that or expand the output? We won't really know for sure what the future of the Poe comic is until they begin telling post TLJ stories in it. Because even though it did get extended basically all it is doing right now is telling stories of things that happened offscreen during the events of Ep. 7 and 8.

22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Do you not know the ways of Marvel by now? ;)

23. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    I *really* hope we get more Jedi of the Republic minis. Mace Windu was announced in May of last year and ran Aug-Dec. Would be really cool if we got a new JotR each year.

24. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Yeah. Mace was disappointing; these will be better if they take on riskier or "heavier" missions and stories, but I do hope they keep doing them.

spicer and kalzeth like this.
  25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    There was good stuff in the Mace mini, I really liked how the bounty hunter droid was actively annoyed with the battle droids and it was really the first full on Clone Wars era materiel we have gotten from Marvel (and, so far, the only!)

iPodwithnomusic likes this.