main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Comics Marvel Star Wars: General News & Trades Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 7, 2015.

1. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    What they would probably do is they would just transfer already existing characters into a series that was doing well. Say for instance if the Aphra series didn't work out they probably would have just brought her character into the regular series.

lordpixie likes this.
  2. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    Marvel September 2018 solicitations. Poe Dameron #31 will be the final issue.

[​IMG]
    DARTH VADER #21
    CHARLES SOULE (W) • GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI (A)
    Cover by GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI & ELIA BONETTI
    GALACTIC ICON VARIANT COVER BY ROD REIS
    “FORTRESS VADER,” PART 3
    • DARTH VADER returns to the place of his birth as he seeks the path to his destiny.
    • Echoes from the past reach out to him — both from his own, and from the dark history of the SITH.
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
    Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization. Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2018 Lucasfilm Ltd.

[​IMG]
    STAR WARS #53
    KIERON GILLEN (W) • SALVADOR LARROCA (A)
    Cover by DAVID MARQUEZ
    Action Figure Variant Cover by JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER
    “HOPE DIES,” PART 4
    • HAN SOLO...admiral?
    • PRINCESS LEIA leads a squad to try and recover the secret that can save the rebel fleet...
    • Unfortunately, it’s aboard the EXECUTOR.
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
    Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization. Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2018 Lucasfilm Ltd.

[​IMG]
    STAR WARS #54
    KIERON GILLEN (W) • SALVADOR LARROCA (A)
    Cover by DAVID MARQUEZ
    Action Figure Variant Cover by JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER
    “HOPE DIES,” PART 5
    • THE EXECUTOR? Bad.
    • PRINCESS LEIA aboard the Executor? Worse.
    • DARTH VADER pursuing Leia aboard the Executor? WORST OF ALL.
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

[​IMG]
    STAR WARS: LANDO — DOUBLE OR NOTHING #5 (of 5)
    RODNEY BARNES (W)
    PAOLO VILLANELLI (A)
    Cover by W. SCOTT FORBES
    VARIANT COVER BY BRIAN STELFREEZE
    • LANDO’S made his way to an ambivalent Pretusian slave force. But can he convince them to stand up against the STORMTROOPERS who now are lower in number?
    • Will ELLTHREE temper her passions in the face of massive droid abuses?
    • Will Lando find a good card game and say “to hell with it all”?
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
    Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization.
    Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2018 Lucasfilm Ltd.

[​IMG]
    STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI ADAPTATION #6 (of 6)
    GARY WHITTA (W) • MICHAEL WALSH (A)
    Cover by MAHMUD ASRAR
    VARIANT COVER BY MIKE MAYHEW
    THE LATEST EPISODE OF THE STAR WARS SAGA COMES TO ITS THRILLING CONCLUSION!
    • Trapped in a derelict rebel base, GENERAL LEIA and the last of the RESISTANCE fight for their survival!
    • Will POE DAMERON, ROSE and FINN stop the FIRST ORDER before they destroy the last hope for the galaxy?
    • Is hope dead, or will LUKE SKYWALKER return to confront his fallen pupil KYLO REN?
    40 PGS./Rated T …$4.99
    Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization.
    Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2018 Lucasfilm Ltd.

[​IMG]
    STAR WARS: POE DAMERON #31
    CHARLES SOULE (W) • ANGEL UNZUETA (A)
    Cover by PHIL NOTO
    SERIES FINALE!
    • In this final chapter of the POE DAMERON series, we see what may be BLACK SQUADRON’S last mission, as they desperately attempt to find allies for GENERAL LEIA ORGANA’S decimated RESISTANCE.
    • It’s been one heck of a ride, but all stories must come to an end.
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

[​IMG]
    STAR WARS: DOCTOR APHRA ANNUAL #2
    SI SPURRIER (W) • CASPAR WIJNGAARD (A/C)
    VARIANT COVER BY ASHLEY WITTER
    MEET WINLOSS AND NOKK — THE GALAXY’S FOREMOST MONSTER HUNTERS!
    • One’s a cyborg with a bad attitude, the other’s a cold-blooded reptile. They’re happily married. They’ve been hired by a mysterious contact to bag an ultra-deadly monster from the heart of an ancient temple.
    • N.B.: For “mysterious contact” read DOCTOR APHRA, who — and this will shock you — is definitely up to something.
    • N.B.: For “happily married” read THIS IS GOING TO GET MESSY.
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

[​IMG]
    STAR WARS: DOCTOR APHRA #24
    SIMON SPURRIER (W) • KEV WALKER (A)
    Cover by ASHLEY WITTER
    OUT OF THE FRYING PAN, INTO THE HEAT-DEATH OF A PLANET-KILLING METEOR STRIKE!
    • Swindling, backstabbing and even occasionally feeling bad about it, all of DOCTOR APHRA’s attempts to escape her prison-world have failed.
    • But...wait — here comes an Imperial shuttle. Could this be salvation?
    • [life support breathing sounds]
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

3. smisk

smisk Jedi Master star 2

Feb 16, 2015
    Well that's disappointing, I've really loved Poe and we really don't get enough stuff that takes place during the ST era. They better give Soule another book, he's amazing.

Kylun and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  4. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    I wouldn't be surprised if we get some sort of Star Wars: Resistance tie-in comic series after Poe Dameron ends. The timing would work out well for when the show is supposed to start.

MrDarth0, BigAl6ft6 and smisk like this.
  5. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Yeah whatever seies comes next I'd imagine it will take place during the ST time period. Something that introduces the Star Wars Resistance characters to us would indeed be a good fit. Marvel made a companion series for Rebels.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You know Jammin, in a way it's reassuring to me that you've played along with this running joke in the spirit I intended it.

In a time when people are yelling at each other over a film, it's good we can have a bit of light-hearted fun.

And.... Hey, you got your wish! [face_devil]
    It would be highly unusual and probably require very low sales.

It's not that it couldn't happen, but it'd take a certain combination of circumstances that are unlikely.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  7. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Well done to the Poe Dameron series for lasting as long as it did, I can't speak for everyone but when it began I didn't see it lasting past issue 12

8. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    Wow, Poe Dameron, TLJ Adaption, and Lando are all ending in the same month. I'm looking forward to some new series' being announced!

9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah probably going to be an interesting month because whatever is coming after those 3 will start in October so I'd expect announcements.

sad about Poe (and I honestly was hoping that it would be the frontrunner to be the first in post TLJ to Episode IX content, which it kinda is but more) but I don't mind endings and that seems kind of like a wrap up time. Also I think it's really likely we're going to be getting a Resistance branded comic in it's place. But we definitely need some ST era content!

Hell, just gimmie a Kylo Ren mini where all he does is wreck random chumps for 6 issues and I would be totally happy with that to tide me over for a few months. Soule written too!

Anyway can we get David Marquez on the main Star Wars title, please?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  10. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Would these new series that will likely be announced next month be things solely created by the new Marvel development team or would they likely have still been things being worked on when Heather and Jordan were still the ones running Star Wars comics?

11. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Sad news about Poe, but expected.

12. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Well, will be interesting to see what new series we get.

I imagine they will want something to lead into episode 9. Something related to the resistance animation maybe?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  13. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Me too, I did not think this would go on after 12 issues. But, it really picked up and hopefully we can get some new announcements on some new good stuff. Marvel really has done a very good job with the line. I've enjoyed there entire run of star wars comics.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  14. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Maybe they'll announce a thrawn ongoing?

15. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    We seem to have a few arcs coming to an end, or is it me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    To be fair, these next 3 months are stack full of Star Wars comics, possibly the most the line has ever put out, like, ever (what are we at, almost 6 issues a month for May/June/July/August/Sept?). So I think resting our wallets for at least a few months with just, shocking!, three ongoings might not be the worst thing.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    The Positive Fan likes this.
  17. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    I think if anything, they'd do another mini series adapting Thrawn Alliances.

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Nope, it's not.

Though, with comics tending to all go for 5-6 issue arcs, it's inevitable that there will be a glut of start / finish months across the line.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  19. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Or, I could start a rumour that Marvel is stopping Star Wars comics.

BigAl6ft6 and Force Smuggler like this.
  20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Don't make me destroy the One Canon project Sinny.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  21. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    So I have an issue where a lot of the comics series I'm following are winding up in the next few months, or are on really long hiatuses. So I was thinking that the next time I go to my local comic shop, I might do something I haven't done in probably a decade or more, pick up a Star Wars trade collection. Which means, a Marvel collection. But what I need help on is, what are like the top three best Star Wars trades of the current Marvel era that I should look out for?

To be clear, these are the nu-canon Marvel runs I've read:

The first year or so of the main Star Wars line
    All of Poe Dameron
    Princess Leia
    Shattered Empire
    Thrawn
    Phasma
    Obi Wan & Anakin
    The Threepio and DJ one-shots
    The IDW Jaxxon comic

I've browsed through a few of the Aphra issues, and... really don't like her as a character. But maybe I just hit a dry spell with her.

Anyway, prime suggestions of what I should look for beyond those?

22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    My recommendations Steve:
    • The Kanan series - 12 issues only
    • Lando - The first miniseries by Soule and Maleev was great.
    • The Han Solo mini was well worth reading
    • Vader - Gillen-Larroca - Aphra works OK here.
    I'm reading in OHC, so I'm way behind. Will be catching up in the coming months due to the waves of OHCs inbound.

23. lordpixie

lordpixie Jedi Master star 2

Aug 30, 2015
    The new Vader comic's are good and the maul one i enjoyed

24. kalzeth

kalzeth Jedi Master star 3

Aug 26, 2017
    I have only liked Kamran, Vader and Maul

lordpixie likes this.
  25. lordpixie

lordpixie Jedi Master star 2