main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Comics Marvel Star Wars: General News & Trades Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 7, 2015.

1. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I agree with Ben, although I'd swap the Vader series by Gillen with the current one by Soule. You can pick up the first trade, it's a relatively self contained story set immediately after ROTS. See if you like the first TPB so you can decide whether to follow the series further or not. If you enjoyed Purge and Darth Vader and... by Dark Horse, you'll probably like the current Vader series as it is a spiritual successor to the former two.

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Nah, Spicer - Soule's Vader gets an OHC in October, I'll be bagging that instead due to the sheer positive chatter here about it for the last year.

3. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    I mostly agree what others have said, here's my list:
    • Kanan
    • Lando by Soule and Maleev
    • Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith by Soule and Camuncoli
    • Darth Maul by Bunn and Ross
    If you haven't read Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir, I would also highly recommend it. It was put out by Dark Horse but it is still canon, and Marvel recently reprinted the TPB.

kalzeth and Jedi Ben like this.
  4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    What's the trade quality like? I find Marvel TPBs vary greatly from good for big, old collections e.g. Cable, to utter crap for new collections i.e. insultingly super-thin and compressed.

5. iPodwithnomusic

Nov 23, 2012
    I've never bought a thin TPB, since I don't think they look very durable. I only buy OHCs or the occasional Epic Collection, and so far everything I've bought has been great quality. I am also curious if anyone has had good experiences with the thin TPBs.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  6. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I second Ben's point about the Han mini. Seriously Mark Brooks has become one of my fav artists just cause of that mini

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. kalzeth

kalzeth Jedi Master star 3

Aug 26, 2017
    Agree. I like the new Vader much more than the previous one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spicer likes this.
  8. Darth Kickass

Darth Kickass Jedi Master star 3

Aug 3, 2013
    I think the quality is great, granted I'm not a comic aficionado. The stock is much better than the comic itself and the covers are very sturdy. Like I said, I don't have a great comic background, but it's worth the money I think.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Thanks, might have to take a look for it when I'm next near Orbital comics or FP.

It's nuts that Marvel's trades vary so much.

10. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    I need more Doctor Aphra

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Kanan and Han are solid choices and the Lando mini. also I'm apparently the ONLY person who really liked the Chewbacca mini but I really liked the Chewbacca mini. Phil Noto! Soule! Chewie! I mean, c'mon!

And I do think the integration in the first 12 issues of Star Wars / Darth Vader all the way to Vader Down was really solid and the art, especially in the Star Wars book for those first 16 issues, are just fantastic. So that's maybe 5 trades total of that first year and a bit but it works so well.

And in new canon stuff, I'd put this up there with Vader and the Raddus hallway. But Peak Vader in Marvel so far happened in Vader Down #1.

[​IMG]

*sobs that we don't have Deodato in Star Wars again*

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    iPodwithnomusic likes this.
  12. iPodwithnomusic

Nov 23, 2012
    I definitely agree with your comments about Vader Down and the issues preceding it. However I will point out that the Chewbacca mini was actually written by Gerry Duggan. I know Soule writes a lot of Star Wars, but he hasn't written everything. ;)

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    gakkk my bad. I thought that was his mini after Lando (that and the Phil Noto connection). But, yah, I loves me the Chewbacca mini

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    spicer likes this.
  14. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    I definifely recommend the Chewie mini to Chewbacca fans. Or heck, if yo don't care about the story that much, still pick it up because of Noto's art. It' at least pretty to look at.

Kylun and tatooinesandworm like this.
  15. lordpixie

lordpixie Jedi Master star 2

Aug 30, 2015
    So what are your least favorite comic ? mine would have to be the mace windu one ! i love the time period and characters just something seemed a bit off ? may have to give it another go !

kalzeth likes this.
  16. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    General consensus agrees that Mace Windu was, unfortunately, a bit of a bust.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  17. iPodwithnomusic

Nov 23, 2012
    I think my least favorite was Star Wars #26-30 (Yoda's Secret War). The story was boring and poorly designed, and the artwork was even worse. The Ashes of Jedha arc wasn't much better. I didn't love the Mace Windu series, but I thought it was alright. Larroca's run on Star Wars has been the only issues put out by Marvel that I haven't enjoyed.

SilentGuy66, lordpixie and kalzeth like this.
  18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Nah, you're not.

spicer and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Windu mini has it's moments here and there. the snarky bounty hunter droid annoyed with the battle droids is pretty enjoyable.

20. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    You have already received a lot of great recommendations.

I will just be echoing what others have said but if I were to pick 3 with the limitations of what you have already read, then they would be:

Han Solo - it is a smaller scale story and very self contained. However, it was some of the hands down best art Marvel has put out in Star Wars. If Mark Brooks could ever be on a monthly title, I would pick it up no matter who the writer is. Plus, this was some of the first cross pollination in the new era of Star Wars. The Assault Tank Driver troopers from the Jedah ambush in Rogue One make an appearance here.

Lando - Soule on writing duty never fails to make for an enjoyable read. Also of interest, one of the characters in this story appears in other comics in the Marvel era if you decide you want to keep reading. Lando and crew hijack a high value luxury yacht because of supposed valuables. Also, Lobot pre slave-mind!

Kanan - 12 issues split into 2 trades. I really enjoyed the art, and the backstory on Kanan is interesting. The first arc takes place right after Order 66, and then the second arc goes back and gives history of the relationship between Adi Gallia and Caleb Dume and how they became paired together during the Clone Wars. If you enjoyed Rebels at all, this is a fun companion series.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  21. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I can't really complain on the Marvel line. It hasn't been as exciting as the Dark Horse run, but they have not been bad at all. The biggest difference between both lines is that Marvel focuses more on the movie characters as opposed to Dark Horse which ran different types of stories

lordpixie likes this.
  22. lordpixie

lordpixie Jedi Master star 2

Aug 30, 2015
    Yeah i agree! hopefully in the not to distant future we will get new characters not connected to movie characters as not knowing where the story is going and getting to know and hopefully love the new characters is where the fun and shock lies. Aphra is a step in the right direction but she is still tied to Vader so in my eyes is more of a spinoff. So come on Marvel it worked for Dark horse give it a shot !!

vong333, kalzeth and spicer like this.
  23. iPodwithnomusic

Nov 23, 2012
    I suppose with three series coming to an end in September it presents a great opportunity for speculation of what new series we'll be getting.
    • The Last Jedi adaption started 5 months after the movie opened in theaters, so it's possible we'll see a Solo adaption announcement within the next few months.
    • I think its still too early for an adaption of Thrawn: Alliances to be announced, Marvel might want to wait to judge the fan reactions first
    • A tie-in series to the new Resistance show seems likely, and would be a good replacement for the Poe Dameron series.
    • I know a lot of fans (myself included) are hoping a new comic will be announced during the Clone Wars 10th anniversary panel adapting some of the unreleased stories.
    • And for a wildcard guess, I'll say Jedi of the Republic - Quinlan Vos, because I'm half expecting him to show in Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith. This would be a great way of setting up that appearance, similar to the use of Prosset Dibs in the Mace Windu series.
    What do you guys think? Any likely titles I didn't think of?

24. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Over three years in, and I'm still waiting for at least one well established writer/artist from the Dark Horse days to be given a shot at the new comics. I'll keep repeating this until Marvel hires them. IDW had the dignity to hire JJM one year in for their Adventures line, Marvel is way overdue.

kalzeth and iPodwithnomusic like this.
  25. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    First of all, I got to admit, TLJ comic adaption has been pretty good. There are scenes that were added in the comic (a pane or two) that really has made big difference in how I see the movie. I kinda expected this from the novelization but that did not happen.

I hope that Marvel does decide to come out with some Clone Wars stories that weren't adapted. If they are planning on returning to animation then by all means don't. If not, this is a great way to come out with stories that are suppose to be canon.

Overall, Marvel hasn't really disappointed and I'm looking for more of there stories in the future. Even the weak stories were very good.

RavagerFish likes this.