main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Comics Marvel Star Wars: General News & Trades Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 7, 2015.

1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Well so do SW and DV--but like JTS said, they could easily tie in without being concurrent.

2. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    If the Kanan issues show how Super Admiral Whatever became the bad guy in Shattered Empire, why not?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Now I want Super Admiral to be a canon rank just to **** with the Fleet Junkies.

4. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Why stop there?

Fleet Admiral to Grand Admiral to Super Admiral to Mega Admiral to Ultra Admiral to Hyper Admiral.

5. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Hyper Admiral is just a floating head.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. Slater

Slater Jedi Master star 2

Oct 12, 2014
    Even better if Palpatine does it just to mess with Vader:

Palpatine: I have promoted Tagge to Super Grand General of the Navy.
    Vader:But that's..Are you kidding m....how is that supposed t...?? *Several Officers start chocking*
    Tagge: (In the most smary posh British accent ever) LOL u mad bro?

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Quite a few tie-in stories are indeed used to launch a book, but it's not an absolute thing.

Second, if people's interest in Marvel ceased with the end of particular books, Marvel'd be screwed given their tendencies of recent years.

What this discussion has just led me to is what I think you've been getting at all along:

What are the comic buying habits of SW buyers compared to Marvel's core superhero buying consumers? The former is relatively unknown now except that they've racked up 2m sales. The latter will buy a selection of just about anything Marvel put out, no matter how much online carping the buyers will engage in.

I think the only clear prediction we can make is that Marvel will seek to maximise the money they get out of the consumer, the exact mechanisms by which they do that is still to be determined, hence our speculations.

That more commercial attitude will be new to SW fans not familiar with Marvel and possibly come across as quite ruthless.

8. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Pfft, just make the highest naval rank called "Ackbar". :p

You don't get much higher than that

--Adm. Nick

9. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    So by TFA he's officially known as Ackbar Ackbar?

10. JoeBiWanKenobi

JoeBiWanKenobi Jedi Master

Apr 25, 2008

Not sure if it's been brought up in the rest of the thread, but interesting easter egg on page 6 of the preview... Much like the one in Darth Vader #1.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  11. Rebel-Jedi

Rebel-Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 26, 2005
    Anyone getting the 'remastered' Star Wars Trilogy adaptations HCs? What are the odds the page with the Jabba Docking bay 94 scene will be remastered with the actual Jabba the Hutt?

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Buy it and find out! [face_devil]

13. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Has anyone from Marvel said anything about Celebration at all? I see that they aren't listed on the exhibitor list, which I find to be odd. I suppose that doesn't rule out a panel, but you'd think they would have a space on the show floor as well. Dark Horse always had a considerable presence.

14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Marvel is probably saving it's Star Wars stuff for the San Diego Comic Con. (Well, the publishing side of Marvel for SDCC. The movie side of Marvel is apparently skipping this year)

15. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
  16. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
  17. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Jedi Ben you are on to something there. Marvel does things way different and its all about money

18. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I like Cassaday just fine but he couldn't do more than 6 months in a row with a gun to his head.

19. ifleninwasawizard

Jun 2, 2014
    I like his art the least of the current SW books. There are a few panels in last few issues that I love, but I'm excited to see somebody new on this.

Matthaeus Sunrider and spicer like this.
  20. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I love him but, yeah, I wouldn't want Star Wars to go like Astonishing X-Men or Planetary. I'd like to see the next arc ending before Episode VIII premieres.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Damn, damn, damn, I love Cassady. But this was pretty much Written in the Stars that he wouldn't be in for the long haul. But if those 6 issues ship on a somewhat monthly schedule (I noticed in the ad on the back issue #4 has a street date of the end of April) with NO fill ins? That's a friggin miracle for Cassaday. Here's hoping the next guy they get is as dynamic as Cassaday. Maybe he'll get an annual in him?

Stuart Immonen. Next vote from me! I'm also a huge Mark Bagley fan, once again, I'll always vote for dynamic comic booking as opposed to exact fidelity to the source.

I would love to see a Steve McNiven Star Wars comic but that would have to be in the can, like, a year in advance.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  22. WadiumArcadium

WadiumArcadium Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 27, 2014
    It's expected but disappointing nonetheless, I've really liked his art for the most part. Immonen would be a good replacement. McNiven nailed the space scenes in those early GOTG issues too so he'd be pretty awesome too.

BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Ben like this.
  23. smisk

smisk Jedi Master star 2

Feb 16, 2015
    I like his art, but sounds like it's not a big surprise to people who are familiar with him. I think it be cool if they got Jan Duursema, who did some of the old Dark Horse stuff. She's great...

24. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    It would be great to get anyone who did some Dark Horse stuff, instead of pretty much the famous talent Marvel already was using on other series.

spicer likes this.
  25. ifleninwasawizard

Jun 2, 2014
    Does anyone know why Darth Vader 6 and 7 are listed together in the latest solicitations?
    DARTH VADER #6 & 7
    KIERON GILLEN (W) • SALVADOR LARROCA (a)
    Cover by ADI GRANOV
    • The Emperor’s machinations revealed!
    • Everything changes for Vader!
    • The tale of Vader’s transformation from A New Hope to The Empire Strikes Back continues!
    32 PGS. (each)/Rated T …$3.99 (each)