main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Comics Marvel Star Wars: General News & Trades Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I'd have agreed with you before about Amazon (and I LOVE Amazon) but it seems I've had problems with digital collections of late. Plus, and this is just me, the Guided View is so much easier. I don't know why I've had issues but I'm sick of having to contact Kindle support every time. Last year I bought a bunch of trades and had no issue but it's okay.

2. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010

Well Amazon's price for the Skywalker strikes volume 1 trade was pretty good compared to other outlets. The digital price wasn't though.

I try to go for the cheapest price but I think I'll just hold off on any Marvel stuff until I finish my Legends collection. Sometimes I just want to read the new stuff though. Oh well, i guess I can just go to a bookstore and read it there...

Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  3. Aphra

Aphra Jedi Master star 2

Feb 4, 2015
    I've considered going to the local comic shop for my comics but I recently moved and the two near me are apparently miserable. How this town ended up with two separate comic shops run by two separate jerks is beyond me. I haven't actually gone myself, but there are enough absolutely scathing reviews on the interwebs that it's just not worth it. Especially since the majority of those reviews indicate "hostile to women". I'm at a point in my life where I'm just not going to put up with that, I'm not even going to risk it... and if it means buying from the giant mega-corporation, so be it.

When my fiancee and I move again, hopefully there's a good shop nearby. For now, Amazon's prices on trades are pretty fantastic. Especially since I pre-order as soon as possible and their pre-order price guarantee means I get it for the lowest list price, even if someone accidentally set it to $6.99 for an hour a month before release. And since my fiancee and I agreed on a fixed comics budget, that means more comics for me!

I really loved Comixology's apps and service, and digital really appeals to me. But I started doing roller derby and found out that a good number of my league mates read comics too. So now I buy physical trades because I love sharing with other people and Comixology doesn't have any lending features like you can do with Kindle books. If they did, I might consider going back to save the physical space. I'm completely out of room on my bookshelf, so I just have stacks of books and DVDs lying around with no home.

4. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    Yeah, I'm there too as far as space goes. I've almost run out so now only get what I really want, very little trying out stuff and if I don't like it I stop. I live in a relatively small town as well so I prefer to give them the business because they're local and guys are really cool too.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'll admit I've been tempted to go digital for monthlies and physical for trades if only for the "no space" issue (made worse by the amount of product Marvel is producing). But until I have an iPad to view them on, I'm not going to read comics on my phone or computer.

If you find a shop that gives you a % off for doing a pullist and factor in that you can resell physical copies (even if you average as low as only .50-$1 an issue), physical is definitely cheaper- but there's more work involved to fully take advantage of that (supplies, listing, shipping, etc).

(Though I don't resell my SW monthlies [yet] it does help lighten the load of my other comics)

6. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    I do agree, having some kind of tablet makes it much easier. iPads are nice, not knocking them at all, but I go for a Kindle myself. Since I had to buy it myself it was a cheaper alternative. JMHO though.

7. Rebel-Jedi

Rebel-Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 26, 2005
    Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  8. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I like the cartoony art. But I doubt I'll be picking this up since it doesn't seem like it's offering anything new.

9. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I really like the art too. But I agree with Spicer -- we have an awful lot of OT film comics already, and this one seems to be following the film dialogue to the letter.

I hope they keep that illustrator on for future projects. They would probably be great at some sort of comedy.

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    It actually says "Pew Pew Pew" when the Scout Trooper is shooting, that is not a bad thing.

11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Anyhoo, Pew pew pew aside, I think it'll be odd if the post ANH-to-ESB period in Marvel Star Wars Volume 2 actually takes longer than it did in Volume 1. It took 38 issues (plus or minus the 6 issues ANH adaptation) to get to ESB in Volume 1 so maybe the ANH period in Volume 2 will take 50 issues or so? Marvel likes them round numbers.

Speaking of which, aren't we due for Marvel's traditional stunt-numbering trick where it suddenly becomes Star Wars issue 150? I actually wouldn't mind that!

12. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I'm looking forward to marvels stories post ESB pre ROTJ. Maybe another Lando story, eh.

Also, I was wondering if any of you all have recommendations for non Star Wars Charles Soule work?

darklordoftech likes this.
  13. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    Quick question: how long is the time span between ANH and ESB, because sooner or later Marvel's gonna have to move on to a different time period for Star Wars and Vader.

14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    It's four years, I believe. But we're talking Marvel Time so, y'know, things get stretchhhhhed out. The post ANH period is pretty creatively fertile for some classic Star Wars Luke, Leia & Han adventuring so it depends if they really want to let that time period go.

In my head, it'd be like 50 issues of post ANH (the caption of the final panel of that issue is "TO BE CONTINUED IN "THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK!"), maybe 12 to 18 issues post ESB (keep it smaller and tighter, maybe do a lose adaption of "Shadows of the Empire". Then another 50 post ROTJ issues of basically the post-Endor to Jakku period where we can have Han, Luke, Leia & Lando.

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Three. At least that's what the novelizations of the movies went with.

16. rjrjr

rjrjr Jedi Master star 1

Aug 11, 2009

The Star Wars' color palate was deliberately black, white, and grey during the Death Star scenes. I think the remaster coloring captures that very well. But, since I grew up with the original coloring, I still prefer it over the remaster coloring. I'm not a fan of some of the effects obscuring the original art.

17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, at the current rate, it'll definitely be later!

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  18. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    I think this is ideal. I mean a lot can happen in 4 years. Since the time periods between ESB and ROTJ are smaller you won't be able to squeeze as much out but by that time you'll have quite a few issues, It is Marvel though so who knows lol.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    She-Hulk, it's 12 smart issues. He's also writing Daredevil now too, heard OK comments about that.

His Superman / Wonderwoman 12 issues were fun too.

Unfortunately Marvel are currently using him on a lot of books, which rarely works out well for anyone - it's happened before and you'd have thought Marvel would have learnt better by now, but no.....

starfish likes this.
  20. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    His work with the Inhumans has been good too. I'd check it out. Titles: the current Uncany Inhumans and past Inhuman if you wondered.

starfish likes this.
  21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Heard far more mixed comments on the Inhuman stuff, which is also a far more corporate move, so am a bit more wary of it.

22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd question whether they'd even go directly up to ESB yet- I can't imagine the story group is in a rush to fill up the classic era again so quickly.

I'm thinking they will either build to a mid-point event between ANH & ESB to conclude the two ongoings (at least for now) ala Vader Down or put a time jump in there at some point that skips a year+ and allows them to build towards ESB (the time jump would give Marvel an opportunity to relaunch it as "Star Wars Volume 2 #1" as they so enjoy doing) and cover the short ESB-ROTJ span as a finale.

That ends up leaving a place for more Big Three/Vader stories to be told in that era by other mediums- novels, etc.

23. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Cool, thanks guys. I'll check out some of those titles. Soule seems like a busy guy. I was reading about another series by him called Letter 44, sounded neat.

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Be interested in what you make of Letter 44 if you do check it out.

starfish likes this.
  25. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    Yeah, Soule's got his plate full at the moment. He's a very talented guy, so I definitely see why Marvel's using him so much. Just hope that he isn't stretched too thin.

Jedi Ben likes this.