main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Marvel to acquire Star Wars comics/graphic novels license in 2015

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rew, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Not all of us.

2. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I think I state it pretty clear, but it's obvious you want me to say that I'm looking at you. In truth I could care less about you Coop. I want ESI.

In saying that, what do you think of the likely hood of DH keeping the license and EU surviving now coop?

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  3. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
    Blergh. If Mavel owns Star Wars than I'm pretty sure their loyalty will lie in the new Disney movies and not in the EU.

4. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    I don't but my friends do it looks alright but a commitment with 15 plus games! and comics Did you enjoy doctor who at Christmas?

5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Then you should know your Roman numerals! Revise your Latin too!

For TV, it was a great Xmas - new Sherlock, Matt Smith's final Who was fun too - though as may be evident from my avatar, I could easily see more of the War Doctor but there's no way they could afford him!

6. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    I think this is the more interesting debate. Marvel still has some contract with Hyperion even though it no longer owns it, so its not the same situation. TOR is a bigger sci-fi publisher than Del Rey though (from what I've found), so they're probably in the running for a new contract.

Right now, probably 50/50

7. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    I enjoyed it and wanted more of smith but uh well. I liked Sherlock but which one did he use? (you know what I mean no spoilers for others) I could see more of the war doctor too but the 50th episode was a let down and where could he go! I want more 8th doctor as well as he only got a film and a 7 minute short,

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think most of the hope over DHC wasn't just from the quality of work and relationship that had been achieved over almost a quarter century but also the claim that LFL would retain a degree of autonomy with it's licensees and such. That Disney would primarily be functioning in a distributor role much like they do with Marvel films.

They do, but in the same format as DHC (which, I believe, is DHC's invention). Over the past several years, their Omnis generally tend to take 1 of 3 different formats: inexpensive B&W reprint volumes (basically just slightly better than newspaper- similar to DC's regular TPB's up until 6 or 7 years ago, just B&W), Ultimate Collection TPBs (actually pretty good- they're full-size, color and have anywhere from 10-15 issues in each) and various premium full-run hardcover Omnis (usually cost around $100 or more and are usually a limited run so they sell out quickly).

Not addressed to me, but the fate of the EU isn't linked to licensee contracts.

For the most part, you should be good so long as you get the first 10 down. Just remember you never put more than 3 "I"'s together- after that you start subtracting from the next major number (thus IX=9, 1 before 10), but every number starts with the larger component first.

After that it's just combinations (XI= 11, XIV= 14, XV=15, XIX= 19, XX=20, XXIV=24, etc.) until you get to much higher numbers (L=50, C=100, M=1000).

If you look at the end of the credits for most movies, you'll see the copyright year in roman numerals. Nice way to practice :).

9. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Back when Disney first aquired LFL, everybody said, "Don't worry, Disney did Marvel well."

10. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Bummed to hear this news. :(

I wonder how the rights and everything are going to play out in 2015 and beyond. Most of my Dark Horse comic purchases are the electronic versions hosted on the DH website. I hope I won't lose access to those after the contract ends.

11. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    Ultimate Collection TPBs sound like the best of the lot.

Will take some getting used to of the different format though. Thanks for the explanation for someone who doesn't follow comics outside star wars.

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I wouldn't hold your breath for a definitive answer. I'm really liking Mark Gatiss' version of Mycroft in this take of his and Moffat's.

I wouldn't equate any of those to DHC's Omnibus line Quest:

The B&W volumes tend to be tagged as Essential X: Volume Y, but are standard size.

In recent years Marvel have started clustering series into bigger volumes with various trade dress, sometimes they're dubbed Ultimate Collections, but sometimes not.

For the big OHC/Omnibuses - you are best to preorder online with a big fat discount and buy as they come out.

Why? Marvel's print policy is very hazy, it is very difficult to know which titles will be kept in print and in what format. The one other point that is near guaranteed is the product will be more expensive, at both issue and TPB levels.

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
  14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Haven't read all ten pages.

This isn't surprising given that Disney owns Marvel, but still...I like Dark Horse. :(

Heero_Yuy, Rew, krtmd and 2 others like this.
  15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well done, you've just summarised 10 pages in 1 post!

credar, krtmd, cdgodin and 4 others like this.
  16. Master Aizakku Rorensu

Master Aizakku Rorensu Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 1, 2013
    I just read this in regards to that...
    Of course, I imagine anyone who wants to read Dark Horse's Star Wars comics is already doing so...

And naturally any new fans of Episode VII will have the new Marvel stuff to dig into.

17. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    Darthmaul208 said:
    "For TV, it was a great Xmas - new Sherlock, Matt Smith's final Who was fun too - though as may be evident from my avatar, I could easily see more of the War Doctor but there's no way they could afford him!" JediBEN​
    I enjoyed it and wanted more of smith but uh well. I liked Sherlock but which one did he use? (you know what I mean no spoilers for others)​
    I think this Sherlock is brilliant and so was the 11's run but I feel undercut on it because it's one big story and he never got traditional episodes like the 10ths and 9ths. how do you feel about capadri?

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, they're really pretty nice- they're the same dimension as most standard TPBs so if you have other TPBs, they fit in just fine and their full size, unlike the Omnis- though they're remain taller than the hardcover novels the Omnis were designed to fit in with.

Of course, there's no guarentee there will be Ultimate Collections for Marvel SW comics. As others have said, it's not a regular practice for all titles.

True, there's also "The Complete Epic" releases for stuff like Age of Apocalypse or Onslaught, but those tend to be for massive crossovers, which presumably wouldn't apply as much to the SW line (one would hope).

However, I would equate the Ultimate Collections to the Omnis- you get about 3 TPBs worth of issues in one volume (Omnis are 3-4 TPBs). However, they're about 10 bucks extra for being full-size.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, that's comforting. I hope DHC does a "the complete digital works" sale for next xmas. I might very well take advantage of that. Either that or blow a few paychecks on the Omnis and TPbs I'm missing...

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Quest,

Being picky, they're still different sizes! :D Plus I had thought the bigger volumes tended to stay around the 400 page mark? Some of DHC's Omnibuses hit 600 pages!

Quite seriously, I wouldn't try and assemble a definitive list of Marvel's numerous titles for their collections, it's all over the place! Consistency? About the only think in their trade policy Marvel are consistent on is the inconsistency! :)

I think he could be excellent and a refreshing change of pace. Don't think he'll stay bug-eyed either.

21. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I'm saying that I don't recall myself or anyone else saying this "wasn't going to happen". Also I don't know what ESI means.

22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Coming 2015....

The return you all demanded....

[​IMG]

You didn't demand it? You're getting it anyway!

Rew and cdgodin like this.
  23. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    star wars: the return of THE Jaxxon. this is why I didn't like the marvel comic! too stupid!

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Cue a crossover with:

[​IMG]

And the Empire thought they had it bad with Ewoks...

25. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    [face_laugh] That reminds me of Bucky O'Hare. I hope they don't do that.