main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Marvel to acquire Star Wars comics/graphic novels license in 2015

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rew, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Somehow I doubt we will see SW animation handled by two different animation companies...

2. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    @Chewbacca89 It could happen if they were given different era's to work on as lucasfilm has all the CW assets.

3. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    I'm not saying its physically impossible. Just doesn't make sense from a business standpoint. It would be like splitting the comic book licensee between Marvel and Dark Horse. For example, Dark Horse can do anything BBY and Marvel anything ABY. Plus, do you really want Pixar Star Wars?

4. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    @Chewbacca89 Nope definitely not- there animation style is childish and immature there isn't any "adult" stories being told and arguably there best one The incredibles is still bad. I think they should just leave it with Lucas film's animation and give them a CW spin off film.

5. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    No. No it's not.

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    [​IMG]

Darth_Garak, BigAl6ft6, tjace and 2 others like this.
  7. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    @Cynical_Ben and @Jedi Ben
    It is my opinion but I do like animation films but generally only watch them when I have to due to cliché stories and villains instead of live action films.

8. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Did they lay off a lot of people in Lucasfilm animation? I know they had recently built a studio in singapore? Or some asian country before the deal went through

9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So, animation debates aside, anyone else actually excited for a Marvel / Star Wars crossover? I'm not sure if it will actually happen (believe it or not, Marvel is persnickety about it's comic book crossovers, they're actually fairly rare, even within their own company between different brands/universes) it could be interesting but I'm not sure if it would play dramatically as drama, but it could be a bit of cheesy fun. Something I would be perfectly okay if they gave Patton Oswalt a comic one-shot (or, heck, a mini-series) where he basically goes nuts and does his whole Ep. 7 pitch story. Or, y'know Deadpool gets zapped to a Galaxy Far Far Away or something. Stuff like that. Not so much on the "serious" side.

Even if a crossover does happen, I can't see it happening pre-Ep. 7 release. Marvel will want to keep their Star Wars comics all separate and stuff as a build up to Ep. 7. And I'm assuming Disney/Lucasfilm will be all "pimp Ep. 7 please, thanks!"

What I wanna be is a fly on the wall when Leeland Chee and Pablo Hidalgo meet up with Joe Q and Bendis and the rest of the big Marvel braintrust. That would be fun to watch!

Also, as an aside, Marvel often does "story retreats" with their various branches of comic books universes so I could see the Marvel Star Wars group getting down with the Star Wars Story Group.

I'm a Marvel zombie and a Star Wars geek so I'm okay with all of that!

Ordo N-11 and Darthmaul208 like this.
  10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Crossover? In the words of Stackpole: No, a thousand times, no.

11. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I really don't want cross over films though I won't be surprised if we get something maybe a animated series or direct to release film. I'm not against animated films on the whole but I don't like the styles employed by Pixar or TCW.

12. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I agree. Crossovers can work good with super hero stories because they are all essentially set in our universe. Star Wars is a different universe with different rules. It will be awkward to have something that doesn't fit appear. Even zombies work slightly different in Star Wars, when there is something similar. Having such a crossover wouldn't make sense. Crossovers can be fun, but they have to respect the integrity of the worlds. Star Wars really isn't compatible with other series.

BoromirsFan likes this.
  13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    There's only really been a bare handful that have worked for me and those were:

Batman / Judge Dredd: Judgement on Gotham / Vendetta In Gotham / Die Laughing

Judge Dredd / Aliens: Incubus

After that? Nope!

14. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Yeah, most comic crossovers are pretty lackluster, especially in recent years, and I doubt they'd use any other format since the animation styles of the two franchises respective TV shows are on polar opposite ends of the spectrum.

15. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I'm not really a fan of Marvel's stuff, at least their meanstream superhero books, but maybe for that reason I'd at least be likely to read a crossover. I also happen to have a soft spot for crossovers in general, though, so that probably helps.

For what it's worth, I did enjoy all the various Star Trek/X-Men crossovers for the bizarro factor, as well as the recent Trek/Who miniseries. And I actually think Batman/Predator was pretty good for what it was.

16. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
  17. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Where do I apply so I can run the official Twitter accounts of Marvel/Star Wars characters? Because whoever that person is... is the envy of every RPGer everywhere.

You can't even call that larping. It's more like... twirping.

18. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    There is Twitter RPG, lots of Marvel,and Star Wars characters

19. Tony Stark

Tony Stark Jedi Youngling

Feb 2, 2014
    Pffft... a designated RPG Twitter is no fun.

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Nick Fury vs Palpatine

Oh, wait...

Spider-Man vs Vader could be hilarious though.

21. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    I'm wondering how the hell Tony Stark gets a "verified" Twitter account. What kind of verification process do they have over there?

darthzac14 likes this.
  22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    It seems that at one time several Star Wars characters had LiveJournal accounts.

Anakin Skywalker's said I'm still the prettiest Palpatine offered to give me a building Obi-Wan is still holding me back.

23. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    Not sure what LiveJournal is. I mean having a twitter account is one thing, but having it verified by twitter?

24. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
  25. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    I see Boba has Jacen's "special pose" down pat...