main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Marvel to acquire Star Wars comics/graphic novels license in 2015

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rew, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    How can I put this? Ah yes.....

I don't see you liking what Marvel will likely do in 2015, given their current tendencies because neat they're not!

To give but 2 examples: Renumbering? Done frequently and often. Title changes? Also done frequently.

Darth Nyad likes this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Both are pretty terrible in this respect.

3. keithabbott

keithabbott Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 1998

I stopped reading Marvel comics (Avengers, X-Men, etc) around 1982 and back then they pretty much were 1-?. I only re-started reading comics after Dark Horse took over the Star Wars line sometime I think in 1996. And I've only read Star Wars comics since then...no Avengers, etc. So the only folks to get on my nerve are Dark Horse at this point. LOL.

4. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    well yes but dc have rebooted and so it's easy to follow for new readers like me.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    There was no need to call it Republic when it first launched- DHC had only done miniseries until that point. It was only with the launch of TPM that they could take a chance on an ongoing again (remember, we're in the immediate wake of the 90's comics crash here)- and they'd want it to be accessible (and, at the time, Marvel SW's relationship to things was a tad fuzzy, so it's not so confusing). But even then they wouldn't be able to anticipate the need for a second ongoing before the first even launched- considering Empire didn't launch until, what? 3? 4 years later?

The bottomline is that #1's sell because casual readers are more likely to jump in on what appears to be the start of a storyline and not just parteay through a half dozen TPB's worth of backstory and lead-up. It's why lines were retitled. It's why series numbering was broken up by story arc, etc. It's an unfortunate reality with the comics industry- DHC, Marvel, DC are all guilty of it, but if it didn't work they wouldn't do it.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  6. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Man, they were consistently the best Star Wars stories out there.....=((

TrandoJedi and Jedi Ben like this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    That really doesn't mean anything in this particular respect though!

8. keithabbott

Aug 7, 1998
    You guys might be right, Marvel could mess it up completely in the title changes and renumbering, but hopefully they don't make the same mistake as Dark Horse by treating comics like Legacy, Dark Times and Invasion as a seasonal comic or mini-series or whatever you want to call it. I'm at least willing to give them a chance and honestly I don't think we're going to see the ridiculous storylines of the comics from 1-107. I own every one of those, and still enjoy them eventhough are a bit ridiculous at times. Comics were really different back then, I'm pretty sure Marvel will learn from what Dark Horse has done right.

black_saber likes this.
  9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Legacy was never seasonal/part of the alternating miniseries format. Even Vol 2 of Legacy is an ongoing. Only Legacy War was a miniseries and that came out right after Legacy ended so I personally wouldn't even count that.

And even then, I'd hardly count the alternating miniseries format a mistake- it was basically a third ongoing series that just alternated between timeframes every arc. Heck, with the delays on DT, it was more like having 4 ongoings so we really kinda won out in the end.

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    All I'm saying is that those things you've said you really didn't like DHC doing - title changes and renumbering - you will likely find Marvel do, but to an even greater degree. There's a very clear pattern in Marvel's activity for the last few years in this respect.

If you also want a clear idea of when which stories happen in chronological terms, well, I wouldn't hold your breath on that either.

Gorefiend likes this.
  11. Darth Nyad

Darth Nyad Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 4, 2013

12. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    I'm mixed on this. I'll be open to anything new sure, but apart from the fact that Marvel's original run on it was rather weird and lackluster, they've now got a REALLY tall order to fill after the smashing successes of Dark Horse.

I guess some leeway must be given since this is still decades later and they may do a good job, but I think some amount of worry is in order.

Oh well, as long as they don't do anything monumentally stupid, like having Joe Quesada making Han and Leia have a deal with the ghost of Palpatine to erase their marriage, I think it'll be fine.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  13. keithabbott

Aug 7, 1998
    Well one thing is for sure, if like what I read on one of the first few pages is correct, and they totally reboot the EU, then that would make it easier for me to adjust to the changes. I don't read anything else but Star Wars so I'm willing to change my habits as long as it's totally fresh and they are consistent with how they are handling their titles. I don't know anything about DC and Marvel comics short of the films since the 80's so I can only go by what I'm being told..but all I ask is they be consistent in whatever they do. And complete reboot of the EU...I think I'm okay with. I can treat everything else as an alternate universe at this point. I had to do that with Tales eventhough many of those stories were quite good.

DigitalMessiah likes this.
  14. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Sad news. Hopefully we will see some of the writers / artists like JJM, John Ostrander, and Jan Duursema continue to do SW comics, if Disney / Marvel have any brains.

spicer and keithabbott like this.
  15. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007

Point Given , credar, RC-1991 and 3 others like this.
  16. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
  17. keithabbott

Aug 7, 1998
    I understand what whey were doing with Legacy, but I think the vol 2 of legacy really should have been renamed or given a sub-title or something...but I'm more so saying in general I don't like that they had plans on bringing it back and just stopped publication altogether. Just keep it going and advance the timeline but just don't stop cold turkey.

18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  19. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Oh oh oh does that mean we'll get lots and lots and lots of crossover titles that no-one will ever be able to read in the right order? Vector to the nth degree? Pretty please?

20. Darth Nyad

Darth Nyad Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 4, 2013
    More than likely.

21. Master Aizakku Rorensu

Master Aizakku Rorensu Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 1, 2013
    Oh, god, I hope so!

I'll still get what looks like the excellent THE STAR WARS on iBooks when that comes out this summer to go along with The Making of Star Wars, but otherwise I'm looking forward to getting in on the ground floor with Marvel.

And so it's back to where it started from. This is so great. And it feels right (I'm of the generation that read the Marvel Star Wars comics back in '77 when I was seven-years-old).

22. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    This news should be of no surprise to everyone. I knew the day would come where I'd officially have to deal with it, and that day is today (not to mention the impending closure and doom of the rest of the EU).

Not that it matters, nor will it every matter, but I don't like this. You'll me heavily missed, Dark Horse.

23. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    ...who are you talking to?

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  24. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    To all who said this wasn't going to happen for this reason or that, as it seems.

CooperTFN likes this.
  25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Hmm, been a strange couple of years on comics:

DC greatly reduced their appeal for me with the New 52
    Marvel did the same with AvX
    Top Cow did similar with Artifacts
    And now DHC lose SW to Marvel, so guess what that means in terms of buying?

The amount of stuff I'm buying is way, way down!