main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Marvel U.K.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by marvelfett, Jan 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marvelfett

marvelfett Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 1, 2002
    Does anyone know a good place to get pics. or scans of the Marvel U.K. covers?

2. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Also, does anyone have a complete list of the Marvel UK Star Wars Weekly or Return of the Jedi Weekly issues with original cover art (non-photo)?

3. marvelfett

Jan 1, 2002
    helloooo?

4. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
  5. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    There has to be someone out there who knows about this stuff.

6. marvelfett

Jan 1, 2002
    Well Darth_Kevin it looks a though this is the one part of the E.U that has veryone stumped.
    Thanks for sticking with me though. Eventually someone in the know will have to respond.

7. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Well, marvel UK(The issues which were never printed in the US, and the ones reprinted in devilworlds), are considered infinities(anomalous, appocryphal) by LFL, according to the article inside the devilworlds issues.

The ones that got printed by marvel as paperback graphic novels(day after the deathstar, world of fire, etc), are part of continuity though, and are listed in the bibiliography's in places such as EG to characters first edition..

8. spicelord1

spicelord1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2000
    Is Death Masque considered infinities like the other devilworlds stories?

9. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Yes, like I said, according to the article in devilworlds, all devilworlds and the unreprinted marvel UK are anomalyous, and therefore apochryphal.

Only a few stories printed by marvel as part of the american printing run in paperback graphic novels, have been listed as continuity by LFL, in places such as EG to characters, or used by KJA in YJK books(ex. tie pilot from day after the death star).

10. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    I appreciate the info on whether or not they are infinities or not. I don't recall the article in the Devilworlds issues by DH. Wasn't Devilworlds printed long before the "Infinities" label was even created? I don't have mine handy to look at, but what is the actual wording of the article? At the time weren't most of the U.S. Marvel stories considered apocryphal as well?

Most Star Wars Weekly and ROTJ Weekly issues reprinted the original U.S. Marvel Star Wars series, and thus are not infinities, but part of continuity. Only a few issues with original stories were not reprinted in the U.S. by Marvel and thus are apocryphal - SWW #149,151,153,154,155,156,157 & #159. Every other issue of SWW or ROTJW was itself a reprint or contained original stories (very few) reprinted in the U.S. by Marvel. DH's DevilWorlds did not reprint #149.

Besides that though, the original question was regarding cover art on the Star Wars Weekly issues. Actually this is something in which I'm very interested. I've even considered trying to find sets of SWW and ROTJM just to satisfy my curiosity (plus it would be a nice addition to my collection). So, back to my original question:

Which issues of SWW and ROTJM contained original (non-photo) cover art that did not appear on the U.S. issues of the Marvel series?

Also, to reiterate marvelfett's question:

Does anyone know where to find scans of this cover art?

11. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    They are marked infinities on the DH timeline. When you click on Infinities.

The article inside devilworlds itself says that they came from a series called Marvel UK that are considered Anomalous by lfl.

Which means the whole series(minus the issues that were printed by marvel U.S.A.).

Devil Worlds came out at a time, that LFL said that marvel was part of the continuity, in such places WEG linking to marvel in many books. And Secrets of shadows of the empire saying that it was part of continuity. As well as EG to characters saying that the marvel paperback graphic novels(day after the death star, worlds of fire, etc), are part of the continuity bibliography.

12. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    The article inside devilworlds itself says that they came from a series called Marvel UK that are considered Anomalous by lfl.

Which means the whole series(minus the issues that were printed by marvel U.S.A.).

Star Wars Weekly (the Marvel UK Star Wars comic) lasted for about 170 issues. ROTJ weekly lasted for about another 150 issues. Out of over 300 issues, over 90% were reprints from Marvel U.S. Star Wars #1-107, Annuals #1-3, ROTJ mini-series, Pizzazz magazine #1-16 comic strips, Ewoks #1-14, and Droids #1-8.
    That in my opinion would mean that for the most part, the Marvel U.K. Star Wars comics are part of continuity. The only original stories printed in the UK first are Star Wars Weekly issues #60, 94-99, 104-115, 149, 151, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 159.

Star Wars Weekly #60, 94-99, 104-106 were reprinted in a U.S. Marvel Illustrated PB "Four New Adventures in Full Color".

Star Wars Weekly #107-115 were reprinted in a U.S. Marvel Illustrated PB "World of Fire"

As far as cover art, Marvel UK needed over 300 covers for their comics, but they only had 142 pieces of cover art from the issues they were reprinting. They ended up either using photo covers from movie stills, poster art, or drawing new cover art to fill this need. So who out there know which issues had original cover art?

13. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Yes, all the issues that were printed in both UK, and the US, are considered part of continuity(minus devil worlds).

The rest, the ones printed only in the UK, are considered anomalous(according to the article in devilworlds).

14. marvelfett

Jan 1, 2002
    Yes,
    But does anyone know where there are images of these covers?

15. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    I don't think there ever was scans of the covers online.

16. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    >or used by KJA in YJK books(ex. tie pilot from day after the death star).

Erm, it's never been proven that they were the same character, and if KJA intended for them to be, he never made that clear in the YJK books.

TC

17. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    I seem to remember a chat transcript were KJA mentioned he got idea for qorl from an old marvel comics story.

18. spicelord1

Jul 12, 2000
    Don't suppose that chat transcript archived anywhere? I have a hard time believing Qorl and the tie pilot from the day after the deathstar are the same guy. Luke defeats him then lets him wander the forests of yavin 4 for the next 20 something years. Way to go skywalker :) it doesn't fit right.

As for those covers..I have not found a site that hosts the cover artwork. Far too many of them but I can understand your wanting to view these. Some of the artwork was amazing (as far as comics go anyway) From time to time on some of the auction sites you can see these covers displayed.

19. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    >I seem to remember a chat transcript were KJA mentioned he got idea for qorl from an old marvel >comics story.

Qorl may have been INSPIRED by the pilot from DATDS, but he's not necessarily the same charicter. The events of DATDS were not mentioned by ether Luke or Qorl.

TC

20. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    I doubt that there were two downed pilots, ;).

No I personally rather use occam's razor for this personally.

21. spicelord1

Jul 12, 2000
    why could there no have been two downed pilots? The one From DATDS could have taken in as a prisoner and Qorl could never have been known about. Would make more sense then Luke crippling Qorl and letting him go free. Luke almost killed the guy but chose not to become like the enemy he hated. I think that kind of experience would be hard for him to forget(he even claims he will never forget it at the end)There must have been two pilots

22. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    There used to be some original cover scans for Star Wars Weekly issues on the TFN comics page, but the links no longer work.

23. marvelfett

Jan 1, 2002
    Well,
    This is the first time that I have seen Star Wars fans without a definitive answer. What if we organized a massive scavenger hunt, and got as many of us involved as possible. Is there somewhere that we could get people to post any and all covers that htey might come accross? I would be willing to have them sent to my e-mail address and then organize them in a cohesive manner. When all is said and done I'm sure that theforce.net would post it in the comics section. The cover artwork for these books, both photo and drawn, are sort of the last untaped frontier of the Expanded Universe. Plus it would be kind of fun to se if we could do it.

24. marvelfett

Jan 1, 2002
    Well,
    This is the first time that I have seen Star Wars fans without a definitive answer. What if we organized a massive scavenger hunt, and got as many of us involved as possible. Is there somewhere that we could get people to post any and all covers that htey might come accross? I would be willing to have them sent to my e-mail address and then organize them in a cohesive manner. When all is said and done I'm sure that theforce.net would post it in the comics section. The cover artwork for these books, both photo and drawn, are sort of the last untaped frontier of the Expanded Universe. Plus it would be kind of fun to se if we could do it. I'll star a new topic to see if we can get more attention.

25. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    Does anyone know the issue numbers of the title changes in the UK comics?

Star Wars Weekly changed to TESB Weekly and kept continuiung the same numbering.

In 1983 ROTJ Weekly started with #1 again and later switched to ROTJ Monthly.

That's about all I know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.