main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Marvel Unlimited Star Wars Comics

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Stymi, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Long time comic book reader. I have boxes and boxes of comics going back to the 90's.

Used to spend so much money. Comics, really, are what made me such a prolific reader. (Admittedly, mostly audiobooks these days...work and kids.)

It's also because of my kids I can't justify the expense of comic books. Single issue are just rediclous these days. $4 to $5? Come on. I remember when the price upped to $2.50. Then $3. And so on.

As a Marvelite, Marvel Unlimited is an amazing deal. A price friendly solution for the frugal comic nerd. Another reason I'm really happy Marvel is now publishing Star Wars comics. I now have access to all of them. Yes...ALL of them.

It's about a 6 month delay for new issues, but I think the trade-off is well worth it. But I do miss joining in on the conversation for the newer books.

So, I wanted to create a space for Marvel Unlimited readers to join the conversation.

Any Star Wars comic from Marvel Unlimited is fair game. Maybe we can dig up obscure oldies together?

Talking about the medium is fair game. In my opinion, Marvel Unlimited just keeps getting better.

Feel free to mention and/or recommend other digital comic vendors, like Comixology. They have some decent deals.

Dark Horse digital store was good too. The Star Wars books were a good deal cheaper than the hardcopies. And even the trades. I was already making the digital switch before Marvel took over. Marvel Unlimited is a better deal by far.

The Android and IOS apps are very good. Weird that I read most comics on my phone these days.

I do miss Wednesdays at the comic store, but my reality has changed.

New Marvel Unlimited comics are released every Monday. Again, about 6 months behind the original release date. I plan to post the new Marvel Unlimited Comics released each week and then link to the thread for those arcs, which can be hard to find after they are no longer stickeyed and interest in the books have waned.

Looking forward to where this will lead.

(*I'm not allowed to make rules, obviously, but please no Dark Horse vs. Marvel/Disney comics stuff in this thread--there are plenty of outlets already in these forums if you have that particular itch to scratch.)

Sent from Moto X-Wing

2. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Very good idea for a thread. However you would probably need to mention where marvel unlimited is in regards to releases so people viewing it and wanting to post will know what has been released and what they can talk about in the thread.

Stymi likes this.
  3. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Thanks! I know it was a long-winded post, but I mentioned I plan to post the new MU releases each week, including the original publication dates, as well as a link to the already existing thread for the story arc that goes with each issue.

Is that what you were getting at?

Sent from Moto X-Wing

4. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Yep that is what I was talking about. Thanks. That will help people know where things are at so they won't spoil anything.

Stymi likes this.
  5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I'd suggest also posting release info to the Releases thread, would complement the printed copy info I cover and people are used to looking there, plus it's stickied.

Rebel-Jedi and Stymi like this.
  6. Rebel-Jedi

Rebel-Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 26, 2005
    I've also went all digital on my Star Wars comic book collection, my print books were starting to pile up. I mainly buy the collected editions I only buy single issues if it's a one shot issue. I really like Comixology's guided view when first reading new issues.

Stymi likes this.
  7. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Which thread is that?

I already feel like this deal is getting worse all the time...

Sent from Moto X-Wing

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
  9. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    That is a crazy long thread with tons of information. I've never even looked at it before.

I feel like I've taken a first step into a larger world.

Sent from Moto X-Wing

Daneira likes this.
  10. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    For now, I'm just going to post the weekly releases for Marvel Unlimited, with a link to the thread for those comics.

This way, we can talk about Marvel Unlimited in general, and since MU peeps like me are behind the discussion by several months, we can start to be a part of those conversations.

I want to keep this simple and focused and not repeat what I post in another thread... because that's too much work. Lol.

Anyway, this week, Monday, August 7, 2017, two new Star Wars comics were released on Marvel Unlimited. Both were originally published February 1, 2017. So a little more than 6 months behind.

Darth Maul #1:[​IMG]
    http://boards.theforce.net/index.php?threads/50042744/

And Star Wars #28: (Right in the middle of the Yoda's Secret War arc).
    [​IMG]
    http://boards.theforce.net/index.php?threads/50042204/
    I'm a bit behind in my reading (just finished Star Wars #25), so I'm gonna keep up with the new, weekly releases and work my way back--or I'll just be perpetually behind.

Sent from Moto X-Wing

11. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    I've had Marvel Unlimited for three years now. It's a completely fantastic service. I download a dozen books for the subway commute, and I'm saving an immense amount of money.

Stymi likes this.
  12. jafo

jafo Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 20, 2001
    Been with this service almost a year now and love it (man this is sounding like an advertising thread isn't it)
    I have all the Dark Horse comics and Marvel comics but I do an immense amount of travel abroad. This lets me take the comics wherever I go and I can just look up any issue/start a series whenever/wherever I want.

I recently went through all the Legacy series back to back over several trips. I'll be starting KOTR soon. And yes, Monday has become my new Wednesday.

Great thread idea

Stymi likes this.
  13. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Well put! It is the new Wednesday. Still, I miss the Wednesday ritual. That being said, I can't even make it to the comic store on Wednesdays anymore, so in a way, MU give me my Wednesdays back--but on Monday. Lol.

And the immense quantity of the Marvel catalog at your fingers tips whenever you want is simply amazing. And the just keep adding more older stuff, in addition to adding the new releases.

Do the have all the Star Wars comic book catalog available now? I wanna say yes, but I'm not sure.

Sent from Moto X-Wing

14. jafo

jafo Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 20, 2001
    I've not done an exhaustive list but I'd say at least 80% is on there, maybe more.
    I actually bought a 12.7 inch iPad because of this app. I wanted to read the comics as comics rather than panel to panel through the guided view. It's big to lug around the world but they look great on it

Stymi likes this.
  15. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    One new Star Wars MU release this Monday, August 14, 2017--originally published February 8, 2017:

Doctor Aphra #4[​IMG]
    http://boards.theforce.net/index.php?threads/50042434/

Initial thoughts: jumping in on issue 4 was...not good. I was not impressed. But I've gone back to the first issue, and it is already a lot better (haven't finished the issue yet). So I'm definitely going to give the series more of a chance and re-evaluate issue four in context.

As an additional MU release FYI, in addition to a slew of Feb. 8th new releases, MU added tons of Defender books from the 80's and Journey Into Mystery books (that are not Thor stories) from the 50's. Intensely interesting to have access to all these books I otherwise would not. Now, if I just had the time to read them.

Sent from Moto X-Wing

16. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Stymi you definitely shouldn't give up on the Aphra series as it is turning out to be one of the more original Star Wars series Marvel has put out so far. Guess if you aren't a fan of the character that would be a reason to stop but if you like Aphra you should definitely keep reading.

Stymi likes this.
  17. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I did really like her in Vader. And so far, you've turned out to be right! The first issue was REALLY good. WAY exceeded my expectations.

I'm usually fine jumping into the middle of a comic run. Happens all the time. A reader can't be expected to start with the 1st issue to like the book. So I'm not sure what happened with issue 4. Would you say it was a weaker one?

Sent from Moto X-Wing

18. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Again only one new Star Wars MU release last Monday (I fell behind), August 21, 2017--originally published February 15, 2017:

Poe Dameron #11[​IMG]
    http://boards.theforce.net/index.php?threads/50042207/
    (Not sure what's wrong with this link--maybe a Mod can fix it? *shrug*)

Another series I jumped into well into it's run. Dove into issue #11, and then I went back into the current story-writing, starting with issue #7. About to finish issue #8 and start on #9.

The buzz is pretty spot on. This is a surprisingly well done books. One of the stronger Star Wars comics out there. Lots of really interesting things going on with Star Wars comics.

So...not much interest in my MU thread...lol. But I like doing them. And even better, it is forcing me to get caught up on my Star Wars comic books. Not sure how I got so behind. The stories do get stale at times, and I don't always feel excited for the next issue. Which may be confusing, since I just praised the SW comics in general. But, really, both assessments can be true. Things aren't always so either/or. Some comics and story arcs are really good. Some aren't. Hasn't it always been that way, regardless of who published the comics?

Overall, I'm pretty happy with what Marvel is doing with Star Wars...and how every story matters and is canon. I really like the bigger picture we get from the Poe book about the Resistance, the NR, and the FO.

I'm not a big Soule fan. He can be pretty hit or miss for me. But when he hits, he can hit hard.

Sent from Moto X-Wing

19. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Stymi it'd be fun to talk about it but at the same time it is hard to remember exactly what was going on six months ago with the comic (can remember the overall story but not generally what events happened in particular issues). Also in my case at least my mind is focused on what is going on in the present and I have never been one to do a whole lot of re-reading stuff or rewatching stuff.

Stymi and Master_Rebado like this.
  20. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    This is a great way to view comics while traveling. I too, have had to stop buying a lot of the print stuff because they were getting expensive and....boy you don't realize it but it piles up and then...unless your S. Sansweet, man your screwed. Still, I collect star wars print and digital. I have stopped collecting everything else. Now a days IDW is putting out every franchise in the book and if they don't have it then Dynamite and Dark Horse do. They pile up.

Stymi likes this.
  21. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I totally get it. I don't remember much of the comics I read six months ago either. And I barely ever re-read.
    What is with IDW? They seemed to pop out of nowhere. And the worst part...I can get the comic on Marvel Unlimited

Sent from Moto X-Wing

22. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    No new MU SW comics last Monday, 8/28/17.

One new Star Wars MU release today, Monday, September 4, 2017 --originally published March 1, 2017:

Star Wars #29[​IMG]
    http://boards.theforce.net/index.php?threads/50042204/
    The living, bipedal humanoid-like mountain...oy. Really killed what was a decent story. The weight of the rediculousness dragged it all down pretty hard.

If this was intended to tap into an environmental message...it was clumsy as hell and fell flat as ****.

Next issue looks to be Luke vs. the Obi-looking mountain wizard.

Sent from Moto X-Wing

23. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    One new Star Wars MU release today, Monday, September 11, 2017 --originally published March 8, 2017:

Doctor Aphra #5[​IMG]
    http://boards.theforce.net/index.php?threads/50042434/

You were right. You were right about Aphra. Tell your sister....you were right.

I'm now caught up with the series (for the MU releases anyway). It really is a good book/story I'm really enjoying. I love being wrong about that kinda thing.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. Poke-Artist

Poke-Artist Jedi Youngling

Sep 6, 2016
    I am also one of those readers who would love to purchase comics on release but can't afford and don't have the storage for them.

I have been with Marvel Unlimited for 5 years now and I use it daily, I couldn't praise it enough affordable and a wide range of comics.

I started reading SW Comics when the new run started (2015 run which i think released In 2016 on the App) I am currently on #29 of Star Wars (I have not read it yet).

Overtime I stocked up unintentionally all the Mini-Series comics from Leia up to Han, due to my incredibly large Marvel comics list
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/...3NPZPOweYystdKiKI/edit?usp=drivesdk[/SPOILER] but just last week I started from Leia and read through each mini-series and finished Han Solo last night, now the strange thing is i am not a fan of Lando and Han and Chewie I like as characters but I never thought out of the 4 series I read that I would enjoy Landos and Hans run more than Obiwan and Anakin those two characters i love due to being born in the PT era (So its kind of biased love for those characters xD).

Landos run had me worried for the guy becuase he got himself into one heck of a gamble and I wasn't sure how it would end, Han was a similar situation but the i really enjoyed the Art of that run too which made me appreciaite that story more.

If i was to rank the runs in order of my most enjoyed from least to most it would go as this.. Princess Leia->Obiwan&Anakin->Chewbacca->Han Solo->Lando

I did read Darth Maul #1 at time of MU release but i think i am going to give it a second read just before #2 gets released, i kind of forgot what happens. (Which is bad becuase Darth Maul is my favourite Sith)

I have not started Poe Dameron or Doctor Aphra yet (Looking foward to Aphra I really enjoyed her character and her crew In Darth Vader)

I never read any of the Novels or EU Comics is there any worth reading (Im sure there is) If you could recomend some that would be great as Im always open to reading anything before my time :p (Note: I am currently reading all canon novels (Via Audiobooks) )

Okay so I think thats enough now, a long lengthy post about my interest in the star wars comics, my goal is to catch up on Poe and Aphra and then as these #s get released i can join the discussion here and stay current with my fellow MU readers :)

Stymi likes this.
  25. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    The Lando and Aphra books have been my favorite. I just grabbed Poe on Amazon's BOGO thing, so I'm going to check that out soon.

Stymi likes this.