main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Marvel vs. Capcom 3

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Reynar_Tedros, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    Looks like it's shaping up great.

2. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Definitely. I'm typically not a fighting game fan, but this looks like a must play.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Unlock 'n bump.

Dammit, I need to find some way to play this...

I just need to figure out who'll be the third character in my Agency X team.

4. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    Picked this up today, though it was more for my love of comics and Resident Evil than anything else; couldn't give a crap about the other characters. The gameplay is really frantic and addicting; it's so satisfying when you pull off a huge move, but on the other hand, it's very frustrating when you're getting wailed on by the AI.

The story is non-existent and the levels progress with very little reason (but there is a "mission" mode, I believe) but we all knew that would be the case.

Graphics are cool and stylized like a comic-book and the special moves look really spectacular. I like the classic feel and the new characters fit in nicely but really...the lack of characters is what everyone is noticing. Down from 50-some odd, we have 30-some odd. With the promise of more in coming DLC, the sting of missing characters (Gambit, Cable, Omega Red!?) is heavily felt.

5. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Played a friend's copy yesterday, and wow I could not put it down. I hated Street Fighter IV because I didn't have a spare week to memorize half of a character's combo list, but I put on Simple Mode and just went to town. It's an absolute blast, and I can't wait to pick up a copy of my own.

I don't really have a set team that I use as I'm still going down the list and completing all the campaigns before I settle on a signature team of three (though it'll likely include Wesker and Wolverine), but most of the characters I've used so far are fun to play with (M.O.D.O.K. and Hsein-Ko notwithstanding). I only played MvC2 a couple times at arcades years ago so I'm not feeling the emptiness of the roster that the franchise fans are, but I'll definitely check out the DLC Capcom puts out.

6. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    I'll tell you, getting a 388 hit combo smacked into me by Galactus really took the wind out of my sails. I'm not over this game, not at all, but it has taken me back to the drawing board in terms of how I play the game.

My most powerful/successful team thus far is a toss up between Thor/Cap/Iron Man or Doom/Magneto/Wesker. I enjoy shuffling every now and then; Deadpool, Storm, Wolverine and even X-23 are all great characters. Phoenix is a fantastic character but she is VERY fragile; her power moves are extremely potent, but she is a plate of glass. I read that if she's KO'd with five full bars, she will be resurrected as Dark Phoenix with twice the power.

Have to say, Taskmaster was a huge letdown. I really expected a great character from him but I'm not overly blown away.

7. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    So is this game really a must-have? I'm a Street Fighter, Soul Calibur, and Mortal Kombat fan. But I am more excited about the new Mortal Kombat than I am about this. I'm not too skilled with Street Fighter 4, I suppose. Too many weird combos that I have no idea how to perform. I can only work Ryu, Ken, or Akuma effectively.

Also, is Spider-Man in this?

8. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Yes, Spider-Man is in the game. I haven't had a chance to play it myself yet but I'm definitely looking forward to it.

9. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    Yes, Spider-Man is in. He's not in any of my line-ups, but I do like him.

I wouldn't label this game "must-have" if you're only so-so into Street Fighter. It's not your typical 3-D fighter like Soul Caliber 4 was, either. It boasts 3-D models and 3-D backdrops, but you're basically side-scrolling. It works very well as a step forward in the franchise and given the past it holds true to the other games to give it that "classic" feeling. But if you're not big on "weird" combos, this may be a rental for you. There is a "simple" mode for folks who just wanna pick up and play and I'm sure it works really well as just that, but I prefer picking a team and putting time into making them work.

Just my 2 cents.

10. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Thanks for the heads up. I think a simple mode would have fixed SF4 for me. I love Street Fighter, but I really have no idea how to perform all those crazy combos.

I'm pretty badass at Mortal Kombat, though, so maybe I'll just save for that.

11. Asterix_of_Gaul

Asterix_of_Gaul Jedi Master star 5

Sep 13, 2007
    ...the sting of missing characters (Gambit, Cable, Omega Red!?) is heavily felt.

I agree. Their omission seems odd considering additions like "She-Hulk." Also, though he was not my favourite character, it seems odd for Capcom to omit Mega Man for Zero and Tron. This is like Nintendo omitting Mario for Luigi and Yoshi. I don't really like DLC, especially when it seems like a gimmick. However, I suppose the company knew that the game would sell regardless and they will make more money through DLC.

Finally, having only four unlockable characters really kills part of the replay value.

That said, I still find it enjoyable, though I'm not sure I would buy it since it seems somewhat limited compared to MVC2.

12. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    For anyone who's played online...

How on earth do i WATCH the matches going on in my room. Cause watching two cards smack each other around isnt very exciting. I enjoyed MvC2 on arcade just as much for watching two good players rip on each other as i did for actually playing the game myself.

Had i known this going in...i probably wouldve rented first.

13. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    One of the things I liked about MVC2 on Dreamcast was unlocking all the different characters. It may seem silly now but it gave me a feeling of accomplishment when I looked at the fully unlocked character select screen. And it's all but confirmed at this point that there will be DLC featuring more characters in the future. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gambit, Mega Man, etc. show up there. Although it does bug me that they expect people to shell out $60 for the game and then pay more for more characters considering we're starting with less than was in MVC2. That's the primary reason I'm holding off buying the game right now.

14. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I'm still kind of pissed that they put Zero and Tron Bonne in this game but don't include one single version of Mega Man! And there's at least five of them by now (although I'm not really counting Megaman Zero), and despite being in the first two MvC games, they don't put him in this one. Although right now Capcom is holding a poll for more DLC, and I think Megaman X is one of the ones in the lead, and considering Mega Man is one of Capcom's flagship characters (heck, classic Mega Man has had some of the most recent coverage, with both Mega Man 9 and 10 coming out in the last few years, after a 10 year break) you'd think they put him in. Although it'd sure be nice to see Phoenix Wright in one of these fighting games too. But Capcom is probably going to force the Mega Man fans to buy someone (classic or X most likely) as DLC. Or they were just being lazy and ported Zero over from Tatsunoko vs. Capcom.

I picked up the Special Edition, as I can't resist collectibles (and had reserved well before the full roster was announced). Fun game, I love the Simple Mode. I never really got into Street Fighter as I'm just not good enough to pull off those down-left-downleft combos. I'm still only mediocre, but it makes the game more playable (since usually I only play Smash Bros.).

Graphics are great, gameplay is fun, just too bad the roster is kind of gypped, and has a few very noticeable missing people. They had better get on with the DLC.

15. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    I have to disagree here. I played Street Fighter IV back when it came out and absolutely detested it. It felt like you had to have eidetic memory along the lines of Rain Man in order to be successful with it. But Simple Mode fixes that, and makes Marvel vs. Capcom 3 an absolute blast. So I'd say it's a definite must-have if you're a fighting game fan but were turned off SF4 because of the strange combos.

Hopefully Capcom will give us a Spectator Mode via patch. Would make waiting in a lobby a helluva lot less boring.

16. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    The first week of March we get DLC outfits (new "Steve Rogers" secret agent look, Iron Patriot, Classic Thor, along with some others) so that's a start. The game begs for DLC characters...although I'm not a MegaMan fan, I thought his omission was glaring. Omega Red and Gambit are a must and why not Dr. Strange to go along with Dormammu? Venom and cyclops feel necessary too.

I don't know, I'm a comic book fan and I can name 50 Marvel characters that should be in. On the Capcom side, I want to see Jill (confirmed DLC) and maybe Tyrant/Nemesis? I'm just babbling... :p

17. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    A friend of mine had a pretty cool idea for releasing characters via packs from a common source. So an X-Men pack could include Gambit, Nightcrawler and Cyclops, a Spider-Man pack could include Venom, Doc Oc, and Lizard, etc. Sort of like how Rock Band releases a few songs for each artist, Capcom could release a few characters from specific franchises.

18. Asterix_of_Gaul

Asterix_of_Gaul Jedi Master star 5

Sep 13, 2007
    So I ended up getting this game for free after trading in a broken PS3. I also got Killzone 3 for free with the replacement system.

I'm working on mission mode, and tend to get stuck around mission 7 or 8. Does buying a different controller make that much of a difference when it comes to fighting games? Is that something only for the hardest of core? :p

19. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    I have trouble passing a lot of the characters' third missions. [face_beatup]

20. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    Same with me. I picked this up last week, knowing that I wasn't very good at fighting games. I just didn't realize HOW bad I was lol.

21. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Same here. If not for Simple Mode I'm sure I'd hate this game. But I love it.

22. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    In a not so unforeseen move, Capcom announces Marvel vs Capcom 3: ULTIMATE.

Story:
    Capcom today confirmed Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, a new edition of the title that includes 12 new fighters bringing the roster to a total of 50.

Characters confirmed so far include: Strider, Ghost 'n Goblins villain Firebrand, Ghost Rider and Hawkeye. Capcom says it will reveal more characters in the coming months. Additionally, the game will feature a Spectator Mode, allowing players to watch matches online, eight new stages, and improvements to the the game's balance and online functionality.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 will cost $39.99 and comes out this November for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

Update: The full roster has been leaked online already. Capcom has not confirmed these as final. Check the gallery for official art.

Here's are the new characters.

Capcom:
    Firebrand
    Strider Hiryu
    Phoenix Wright
    Vergil
    Nemesis
    Frank West

Marvel:
    Hawkeye
    Ghost Rider
    Dr Strange
    Iron Fist
    Rocket Raccoon
    Nova

I'm pretty excited. I'll pick this up seeing as I thought Dr. Strange should have been in the original game. I see Frank West, a character formerly rumored to be DLC, is in the game but the other character rumored to be DLC, Doctor Octopus, is not. Sad.

I was wondering when either DLC or an updated game would come out. Seeing as it isn't priced at 60, this is easier to swallow.

23. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    November? NOVEMBER!?

[face_beatup]

24. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Doctor Strange, Rocket Raccoon and Nova ftw.

Who is Frank West?

25. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Dead Rising

He's done wars you know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.