main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Marvel's Agent Carter

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Jan 7, 2014.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Even though the vibrant colors have been a key visual for the series (ie: the red hat), the beginning of the sequence made me curious to see a B&W version of the whole series.

Jedi Merkurian and Abadacus like this.
  2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    My only complaint on the entire season so far is that it hasn't had enough Howard Stark.

3. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    for me the musical sequence seemed sudden and out of place. and i can't figure what's going on with thompson

4. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    I'm really enjoying Agent Carter this season, possibly even more than last season, which I loved. I'm disappointed that next week is the finale, as I really wouldn't mind more episodes.

Early on I was hoping that the flamingo would be more of a recurring joke than it has been, though I kinda think it might have been represented in the musical sequence, heh. The outfit colors of the dancers appearing with Jarvis in it reminded me of the flamingo. I enjoyed the choreography and the entire "spectacle," if that's the right word, of the musical sequence.

pronker, BigAl6ft6 and The2ndQuest like this.
  5. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I enjoyed the musical sequence at the beginning of the last episode. It was reminiscent of Golden Era Broadway. I even made a "New York, New York!" ref when I saw the guy in the sailor suit.

6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Gamma rays! It's all connected!

I thought the musical number was quite a stretch. Some producer or director really wanted that to be part of the episode. It would have been cool if they were able to get Steve Rogers in that dream sequence, as after all, Steve had Peggy in his Age of Ultron dream sequence.

I'm liking this Thompson fella. He's actually becoming a player rather than just another 2D foil. He's like becoming the Grant Ward of the bunch.

Howard Stark probably costs too much to make him a regular on the show, thus the socially awkward doctor dude that build the gamma ray gun with Howard's plans.

Dottie has been a real highlight for me.

7. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Wait, WHAT. Whatever happened to Sousa/Violet and Carter/Wilkes? I really thought that was going to happen :_|

Also, is Thompson dead?

Also, the way they resolved the whole thing with Whitney Frost seemed rather anti-climatic.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Carter/Wilkes has been pretty clearly done for a couple episodes at least.

The finale had some good moments but I kinda feel like it wasn't as strong as the rest if the series.

Carter's tone when aiming at Jack was a solid moment though.

Here's hoping we get a third season to resolve the loose threads- or at least a flashback on AOS.

9. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    "Jarvis! You just hit a woman with my car!"
    "I know sir."
    "She's a two time Oscar nominee"
    "Ms. Frost is quite resilient. She's fine. Trust me."

10. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Mmm well still, I thought Sousa and Violet were perfect, whereas Sousa and Carter seemed much more like just friends.

11. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Good finale but maybe a slight let down compared to the rest of the season, which overall, I thought was great. Did not expect it to end on a cliffhanger like it did, I already was hoping for a 3rd season but now it's pretty much a necessity.

12. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I was all yay and then noooo!

pronker and dp4m like this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I loves me some Agent Carter and I think it's a more enjoyable watch than the increasingly dour Agents of SHIELD. But I think the main plotline wasn't quite as propulsive as it was in S1 but it totally makes up for it in style and the humour and actor chemistry this year was even better than before (You can see they were kinda stretching because we'd get very awesome but completely superfluous asides like Peggy's dream dance sequence). Whitney Frost was played by really cool actress and was a nifty antagonist but not sure if she needed 10 whole episodes, let's say they did her arc in 5 eps and, for the love of God, give us 5 eps of Dottie / Zola / Doctor Faustus / Winter Solider, I think it would have given the season more of a kick.

I guess the "Agent Carter" One Shot is still canon, it would have to take place at the end of her SSI tenure since Howard calls her up and establishes SHIELD. So instead of it happening before S1 of AC (even though it's shown in some clips, but it's a montage to whatever) you'd set it after S2.

Barring a miracle renewal and/or The Mouse / Marvel forcing ABC to air Season 3 (or maybe putting it on Netflix... where it would not mesh with the other Marvel shows at all) this was quite possibly the final Agent Carter due to ratings being quite bad (Unless they move it to the summer or Most Wanted isn't a "bridge" show in between AoS seasons. Or maybe they'll dump it on Friday nights?). So if it is, I guess we can view the Jack Thompson murder as some sort of "Hail HYDRA!" scheme because they wanted the info on Carter. If there is a renewal, probably Carter will spend the season hunting down who killed Jack

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The problem with putting it entirely after season 2 is she hasn't moved past Rogers and the comments made by Bradley Whitford wouldn't track if she was dating Sousa. Plus the one-shot is dated before season 2's setting.

So, even though it's rough, you still have to split it up for it to work. So basically you get the Zodiac mission, a transfer to Dooley's office, Seasons 1-X, a transfer back to Whitford's office and the promotion to SHIELD.

Also, while they may have stretched things out a little, I don't thinking dream sequence is evidence of that. Given the dream sequences and radio shows in Season 1 and the musical sequence in Cap 1, it's entirely fitting that they would have a sequence like that, especially with the Hollywood period hook.

It would have been more surprising if they hadn't done an old fashioned Hollywood musical sequence, quite frankly.

15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I thought it fit tonally with the show and was really fun, it was just crowbarred in with a little less delicacy than it could have been. I would have preferred if they did some sort of blah blah blah mind control sci-fi dream hoju reason for it to happen as opposed to "Peggy got knocked out, dream sequence!"

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'll agree that it wasn't as fully integrated into that episode as it could have been- it acted fine as an intro while she's knocked out but there probably should have been a callback to it.

It actually would have been great if there were two or three other shorter musical dreams spread across the season.

EDIT- interview with Haley:,http://m.ign.com/articles/2016/03/01/hayley-atwell-previews-agent-carters-big-season-2-finale

She mentions they won't know AC's fate until the May upfronts happen but that her new show won't interfere with her being able to do AC Season 3 if it happens.

17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I would agree that the season finale was a bit underwhelming. Although, there was that part that reminded me of Arkham Asylum. That would be funny if Peggy turned into Batman and started locking all these people in some insane asylum. I mean, Dottie might not be playing with a full deck herself.

I thought Peggy was pretty randy with Sousa too. Like get a room already. I liked it! It's probably been awhile with her, I'm sure.

An right when I start to like the Thompson character that thing had to happen. Not cool. But it does provide a cliffhanger and a hope for season 3. Season 2 really did well in building a team and supporting characters for Peggy and I'd like to see that continue. I really want to see who Peggy ends up marrying.

Thumper09 likes this.
  18. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I didn't like

how easily Whitney Frost went down in the final battle. That was just anti-climactic. Like Phillip Pullman wrote it or something

But, overall, not as strong as the rest of the season, but still damn good. Howard Stark and Jarvis ... fantastic.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  19. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    that was a surprising ending.
    i like that they have a continuing storyline for a short season, and yet it kind of gets of old too. like they need more than one thing going on to keep it interesting.
    i have my doubts they'll bring it back.:(

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  21. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Great news, a decision that comes from above ABC, you would think, with Disney willing to take a loss leader. If it isn't going to go beyond a third, though, I hope they get enough notice to wrap it up in a bow.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It isn't necessarily entirely Disney- ABC's execs have been supporters of the series for awhile. Both last season and this season had comments from them to that effect in spite of the ratings.

I think the format certainly helps its chances- though one can't entirely ignore the benefit it provides AOS as a factor.

EDIT- Random (though perhaps obvious) observation, but the gamma cannon used against Frost and the rift is a precursor to Fitz's method in dealing with Blackout.

23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So, we haven't heard anything directly from ABC -- so I'm skeptical until then -- but good news for now.

Also, there's some speculation that one of the main Marvel guys (can't remember if Loeb or Feige) was directly involved and championing Agent Carter in a way that was different than SHIELD, Most Wanted, etc... which gave AC a leg up.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Feige was involved in season 1, so presumably it was him. Certainly didn't hurt.

That link at least acknowledges there hasn't been an official announcement yet (maybe Tuesday? Or AOS opener ratings?) but it's promising at least.

25. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Re the finale,
    I looked carefully at the killer and didn't spot clues. Wore gloves, brown trousers and shoes, could be man or woman, right handed *I think?* so when, or if, the s.3 picks up, it'll be grand to see an investigation or even simply a mention, if writers decide to pick up another storyline. Let's hope there is a s.3, because the period detail alone was delightful. If there's no continuation, the romantic angle was neatly tied up, at least to my viewing, @};- and the plot concluded well enough. I grieve for Ana's loss, though.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.