main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Marvel's Cloak & Dagger [Freeform Series]

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 7, 2016.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Variety Reports that Freeform (formerly ABC Family) has ordered this straight to series. It's "described as a superhero love story" and is targeting a young adult audience.

The live-action interracial romance follows the duo, two teenagers from very different backgrounds, who find themselves burdened and awakened to newly acquired superpowers while falling in love — Tandy can emit light daggers and Tyrone has the ability to engulf others in darkness. They quickly learn they are better together than apart, but their feelings for each other make their already complicated world even more challenging.

No writer is attached yet. Marvel Studios and ABC Stufios are co-producing. They also confirm that this is NOT the secret Marvel series being developed by John Ridley.

[​IMG]

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  2. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Well that is......interesting. I like Cloak and Dagger a lot but I worry about what the show will be like on Freeform.

3. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Honestly, based on how that reads it sounds like it practically belongs on Freeform and will certainly target the same audience that Shadowhunters has.

cubman987 likes this.
  4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I imagine it'll be skewed towards a younger audience in tone and style like The Flash. I get the impression it will be more of a CW-style show if they're emphasizing the young adult angle.

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Ya, this was a VERY surprising bit of news this morning!

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It feels so good to see you in purple again. ;)

But, yeah, I don't think anyone expected this. I mean, 4-5+ years ago there was word that Power Pack was a possible film candidate and then there's the backburnered Runaways film too- so I wonder if this development spun out of those projects somehow? There's no mention of Sony so I doubt the Spider-Man connection was any factor.

7. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Yeah I just want a show that would be more targeted towards me with these characters. But if it gets that crowd to like Marvel superheros then that's cool too....and I'm sure I'll give it a shot either way.

8. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    Unexpected choice for a YA series, especially since there have been rumors about a Runaways series for however long now, but I'll probably give it a shot. They're gonna have to find a better outfit for Dagger though, if it's on Freeform.

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  10. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    It does seema bit too revealing. But maybe that can do it like in the cartoon.

[​IMG]

11. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I wonder if this will tie into the other shows like SHIELD, Daredevil and Jessica Jones or if this will be a separate universe entirely. I could for instance see these two being inhumans who are introduced in SHIELD before being spun off. The description seems to support an idea like that. Or, they use the company that paid for Jessica's medical bills and created Nuke and now they are responsible for Cloak and Dagger. That could also work out nice while have subtle ties to the other shows.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah I suspect one of those avenues will be used since they're not mutants but streamlining them into Inhumans or something would work nicely without having to leverage the other shows heavily.

13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Hopefully this means Runaways will be a TV show instead of a movie (I honestly think it's more of a TV show) because Cloak & Dagger are a pretty decent sized piece of that book. I don't get Freeform in Canada, however, Shadowhunters has been arriving weekly on Netflix Canada (a really unique situation, it doesn't have a Canadian distributor so it's like the only weekly show on Netflix Canada). Hopefully, that happens here too.

14. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh I hope we get a counterpart series for DC's Hawk and Dove (he said, hoping that never happens).

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

... Monarch? :p

16. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Why does it need mentioning that their relationship is "interracial"? I've always found that term outmoded.

Point Given likes this.
  17. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Animated series using Liefeld lineart. Yes.

Ender Sai likes this.
  18. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
  19. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
  20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Depending on where they're from, that could still cause problems for them, even today.

21. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Is SHIELD ever referenced in the Netflix Marvel shows? All reference the Avengers, but it seems like ABC avoids referencing Netflix and vice versa.

22. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007

Well all the shows have been set post the fall of SHIELD... as for references...

the biker gang Lorelei enchants in AoS is the same one in Daredevil Season 2, same name and logo.

In a recent AoS episode they had a news channel on with a news ticker running at the bottom saying 'Gang War in Hell's Kitchen leaves authorities baffled' referencing the events of Daredevil season 2.

And besides Daredevil and Jessica Jones both having people use words for 'enhanced' and 'gifted' humans, it shows the breakout of powers in AoS is affecting the public perception in those shows.

Honestly the Netflix and ABC shows have done more crossover stuff than the movies have done with either. At least the shows acknowledge the others exist.

23. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Those are all great catches.

24. DeltaRen

DeltaRen Jedi Youngling

Feb 18, 2016
    This looks promising. I like Cloak and Dagger. I'm glad they're translating the characters to a live action format. I'm also glad they're doing a Marvel show on cable. Now I'll have another way to get my Marvel fix without that new-fangled Netflix.

(The rhyming was entirely accidental, but I'm leaving it in.)

25. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Woo another Marvel thread!