main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Marvel's Daredevil (Born Again, Again, Being Filmed Again)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Jan 7, 2014.

1. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    and they probably assume he has some eye holes or is some super ninja

2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Indeed. That's what I was trying to get at when I amended my comments in post #445. You're right that literal blindness wouldn't necessarily be the first assumption. But I do think it would be fair to guess that maybe he wasn't operating in the way normal humans do.

3. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Well that Russian guy did call him the devil or something, so he clearly has most common thugs terrified that he's more than just a man. The crime bosses and higherups may just think he's a guy in a mask, but to the thugs he's beating up he's become something that can't be human.

4. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    This would not be your first thought. This is a world which has barely seen any "superheroes". If anything, technology is the most amazing thing here. A man flying around in a metal suit, science creating a giant green monster and super soldiers, alien technology confiscated by the government. Pym Particles are a thing at this point in the universe (although Ant-Man is not yet known of, Hank has been around for decades, and the Stark Expo hosts crazy new technology every year). You're telling me your first thought, when you see a guy fighting crime with a t-shirt over is his face, is, "yup, that guy is blind for sure, he's got to be some kind of space wizard that doesn't require sight anymore" and not, "I wonder what kind of crazy substance that t-shirt is made of that lets him see through it one way"? It's a black mask. It's night time. You can see through a t-shirt right now if you look through it. There's no reason to believe that, just because there are no visible indications, that you can see, for eyeholes in the mask, that he can't see out of it.

It's not safe to assume that it doesn't actually have eyeholes, again, because it's dark, and because you don't know what the fabric is (letting alone that normal fabric can be seen through, actually). So. I mean.

And I'd say they're scared of him because he routinely beats up large groups of them singlehandedly and unarmed, not because of the way he looks.

5. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I can't comment in depth, as I haven't actually seen the television program in question. But a couple points. First, I understand this character is set in New York City. There's a great deal of ambient light there. It would be one thing if we were talking about the middle of the night in middle of the country. Times Square is a bit of a different issue, though.

As for the fabric issue, certainly someone can see out of a single t-shirt. If that's how thin his costume is, apologies for my misconception. Still though, I don't think that lends you the level of detail needed to engage in precise, high-speed acrobatics and combat. Nor, even if it was manageable, would I understand why someone chose to do so. It would still be flaunting their relative lack of need for vision, since most people couldn't match that feat.

Also, I guess my underlying assumption is that at some point in all these adventures, the suit has got torn or damaged, and someone's thus been able to recover a part of the fabric to find out that it's made out of. . .fabric.

6. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    It's not Times Square, though. It's back alleys and rooftops and abandoned warehouses in Hell's Kitchen. He purposefully extinguishes lighting fixtures in order to blind his opponents further. He remains very much in the shadows most of the time.

Either way, they're not getting a great look at it. Some people have had better looks than others, but it's not been shown, so far as I've seen, to be a question on anyone's mind.

And the mask hasn't ripped.

What is even the point of this conversation? No one is going to know he's blind. That's the bottom line. If his mask has no eyes, in this universe, the last thing anyone is thinking is that he is blind. A time traveling space alien who doesn't even have eyes, maybe. But I don't think he should be concerned with useless eyeholes because someone might discover his blindness, and figure out that he's also Matt Murdock. That's all I have to say, really. It looked better when he had no eyes.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  7. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Wait you haven't watched it? We seriously need a forum rule where you can't comment on things you haven't seen or read.

Healer_Leona likes this.
  8. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    This was actually my point originally, too. Even if they make the assumption he's blind, that's about 60,000 people in New York City. Hardly narrows it down to Murdock. I was also thinking it would be an interesting thing if he as a superhero chose to make even more of a symbol of himself, and highlight the fact that he was blind.

I fully support a suit without eyeholes. I just don't think that people would assume he has some sort of high tech super-fabric that gives him enhanced binocular vision and a heads up display, or whatever. Instead, they'd just figure his vision was obscured because it apparently wasn't important. That said, I am obviously missing some of the specific details about how the character is being presented in the new television show, so my ability to comment in depth is pretty much at its end. I just find it an interesting thought experiment, is all.

9. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Like Batman. He's being presented like Batman. I think he asked one of the Russians where the other drugs were going at one point...

10. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Just finished the season. The finale was mostly great. To be honest, it's the only episode where I took issue with the pacing. I never minded the pacing before but I felt like it was a problem made obvious here in the finale because everything else in this episode was completely fantastic.

One thing though, I know that the show explains that Fisk lines his suits with thin body armor, but what gives him such incredible strength? I recall the cartoons wherein Fisk was able to match Spider-Man in physical confrontations. What gives?

11. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    So, "I can't comment at length because I haven't seen it and might be talking complete gibbering nonsense, so instead I'm going to comment at length".

Vintage Wocky.

12. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I believe in the comics it is established that he just works out a lot

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  13. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    The mask is real. Charlie Cox can see through the material. The stuntmen can see through the material. Did you immediately jump to the conclusion that the lead actor and stunt-team were blind people with super-senses?

Edit: I'm talking about the existing black-suit mask. The red suit has lenses, I think, much like the Spider-Man costume.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  14. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Comics' Kingpin is a massive behemoth of a man almost as big as the Hulk. IIRC, what most men would believe to be fat is actually muscle, which would account for his near superhuman strength. Now, there's no decent actor alive massive enough to come close to comics's Kingpin size (though you could use practical fx like forced perspective to give that illusion). To make up for that, this more grounded version has major anger management issues. And if you build up enough rage (backed by training or just regular street fighting experience of some sort), you could be extremely dangerous, as Fisk aptly demonstrated in those episodes he got up close and personal on some poor bastard who pissed him off.

15. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Say goodbye to 90% of comments on the JCC......

16. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Still, it is a valid question: why haven't you watched the series Jabba-wocky?

17. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005

I actually didn't like D'Onofrio's take on Fisk until we get more of his backstory. When you realize he's essentially emotionally stunted, it makes everything sort of click, and suddenly the character is more compelling, as is the portrayal. Furthermore, a lot of the Kingpin's size is exaggerated in the comics; if you read the Marvel Knights Daredevil, especially the Bendis and Brubaker runs, Fisk's just a really big guy.

And you could totally get people to approximate his size - Shaq's a big guy. It's not impossible.

18. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    As I said "decent actor". You could find any huge wrestler to shave his head and gain a few more pounds. That doesn't mean you'll get a decent performance out of him.

19. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I immediately jumped to the conclusion that stunt man in a choreographed fight can afford to have his vision mildly impaired by a cloth a bit more than someone who would presumably be in actual fights and performing acrobats unplanned/unaided.

I guess I don't understand why this is generating such controversy. It was a one-off comment, guys. A suit that seems to impair your vision might reasonably be taken as a wish on the part of the wearer to lessen the emphasis on that particular one of the five senses. That's what I would guess about it. If you feel differently, fine. It's not an assault on the character, or the show, or the costume. It's just a description of how I would think about a mask. Apologies for thinking differently than the rest of you? Is there anything else I can answer about this?

Invidious, I haven't had enough time/interest. But while perusing the thread to see if someone had a review that would help me feel out whether I'd enjoy it or not, I came across the discussion about how we would respond to a mask that apparently had no eye holes. I thought it was sort of an interesting idea, so I considered and then offered a response. Now here we are.

20. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Barking mad.

21. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
  22. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    The problem is that Netflix is spending itself bankrupt on content development that's vastly outstripping its expanding subscriber base.

23. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Oh, is it that bad?

24. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    investors don't seem all that concerned, but the business model is very confusing.

25. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    How long before Disney buys them out?