main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Marvel's Daredevil (Born Again, Again, Being Filmed Again)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
  2. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    That's what they said about Vin Diesel being involved in Guardians of the Galaxy.:p

3. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Of course not. He's playing Elektra.

Tom: I thought it was an interesting touch that Fisk didn't pull the mask off. He's too mad to care who this guy is. But not only that; I think there's really no mystery for him. He conceptualizes the man in the mask as exactly that: some vigilante giving him trouble. He's just some nobody who knows martial arts, and there's nothing there to really suggest that there's anything interesting about his identity. We're conditioned by superhero stories to expect secret identities to be a big deal, and it would be if Fisk was still trying to corner him. But when you're about to kill him, who cares what his name is?

It's an interesting situation because, unlike Batman with his incredible gadgets and reign of terror over Gotham's criminals, there's no myth to unmask (and no famous identity that we know to give it stakes -- Matt Murdock is a "Who?" to the world at large, and only barely someone Fisk would recognize). Unlike Superman, there are no superhuman powers on display to make everyone want to know who this guy is and where he came from. He hasn't spent years swinging through the city in a brightly colored costume stopping guys with robot octopus arms. He's just some dude in a workout shirt and bandana putting the hurt on street-level thugs. There's no reason to think there's a special identity behind there, that the reveal would mean anything. He's probably just some construction worker or firefighter or delivery driver.

Now that he's running around the city in a silly costume, building a myth, there'll be more interest in who's behind the mask. But I think it was an interesting choice to ignore the whole secret identity angle because it really does reflect the fact that Matt hasn't really built up the public identity of Daredevil yet to provide any contrast to his secret identity. He's still just a nameless guy without a costume, and as such doesn't register as a superhero worth unmasking yet. I suspect season two will involve Matt building up Daredevil as an identity.

4. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
  5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    He was good as Shane, I'm sure he will be in this, also.

6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Oh man. That sounds incredible - very happy they are incorporating him into an existing series before giving him his own.

7. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    He seems like a good choice for the Punisher, even though I don't know who the Punisher is.

8. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    S1 explored how Matt was similar to Fisk in many ways, and he got CLOSE to that line. Torturing people, throwing them off of buildings, seriously considering killing Fisk, etc. I imagine that they'll play Frank Castle as the guy who actually DOES cross that line. That's what makes their dynamic so interesting, Frank is essentially DD is DD ever went over the edge completely in his "crusade."

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    So the Punisher is a new villain to replace Fisk?

10. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    He's not a "villain" per se. He's pretty much the concept of a "Marvel vigilante," taken to it's most extreme. The guy who also fights crime, but through murder. Think Charles Bronson in Death Wish, but as a highly-trained/experienced/intelligent/battle hardened ex-Marine.

11. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I really hope that this iteration of the Punisher is close to Charles Bronson's Death Wish character. Just a man who feels that justice can only be served at the end of a gun barrel.

And because of this news, I doubt that Frank Castle will appear in Civil War.

It will be interesting to see when season two of Daredevil takes place.

12. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Given Marvel Studio's disdain of the tv universe I highly doubt Punisher or Daredevil will show up in Civil War, Infinity War, or ANY movies unless Disney steps in and forces Marvel Studio's to acknowledge the tv shows.

13. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    I hope they just explore the origins of Castle and make him The Punisher in season 3.

14. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I wish they had incorporated him in a bit earlier, just to see this memorable panel on film in Civil War:

[​IMG]

Healer_Leona and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  15. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Does this ring a bell?

[​IMG]

16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Wow, Berenthall playing a character that doesn't have (basically) a built-in expiration date and allow him to go buggity boo. Neat!

I still think Kingpin & Punisher are big enough heavy hitters they could crossover no problemo to the film side. Heck, Kingpin has pestered Spider-Man a whole lot and don't need any real explanation of what he was doing on the TV show.

Punisher in S2 is cool, probably be a sorta-antagonist for the early run they by the end they have to team up to stop Fisk (he is all in jail after all) but I was kinda hoping S2 would push Fisk to the background so we can get some more mystic ninja action. That is totally a thing in Daredevil's world! Got like 3 eps outta it in the show.

17. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I want Rucka's Punisher. He was just a force of nature who everyone was terrified of, even the cops. In fact, I hope we don't even see him for several episodes. Just hear about him and see some of the aftermath of his encounters. It can be risky but they should really build him up before his first appearance.

18. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    So with Punisher cast, Elektra's casting ongoing and rumors of Bullseye, it certainly seems like Season 2 will focus on assassins and killers. I imagine Matt might need Frank's help in order to take down Bullseye and whatever else Fisk might throw at him. I could definitely see Fisk hiring people while in prison and perhaps halfway though he has a big prison break. The way the first season ended, I can't see charges getting dismissed no matter how good his lawyers are.

Also, with Ross allegedly returning for Civil War, Frank cast and Elektra soon, all we need is Ghost Rider and maybe Agent Venom (sorry Deadpool) and we have the latest incarnation of the Thunderbolts.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I had held out some hope that we might have gotten Thomas Jane back for a puts-Dirty Laundry Pubs usher, but that was probably impossible.

No Jane but bring on the Shane.

20. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I'm two episodes in and I'm hooked. I love the way this show is shot, dark, gritty and lived in. The fight choreography is some of the best I've ever seen in a TV show too.

21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    That Fisk is sure a dastardly fella!

22. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
  23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    So I finished this. So good, start to finish.

Ben's line about not being able to make it to the top without making enemies looking to tear you to the ground certainly turned out to be true. I liked that angle with Gao and Leland.

I haven't read the comics but I was sort of surprised at just how angry Foggy got over Matt's revelation. I wasn't expecting an "Oh, yeah, cool" reaction, just somewhere in the middle.

Loved that Karen took out Wesley. Loved that entire exchange.

Even though I knew that Ben was probably marked from the time he first appeared on screen, his death got me pretty hard.

"How long have we been together?"
    "I don't remember a time when we weren't."

:_|

Fisk is an interesting villain and I don't see him staying in jail for long. But with all the talk about bringing in new villains for season 2, maybe I'm wrong about that.

Either way, can't wait for season 2.

10/10 every episode.

24. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I was sort of surprised at first about Foggy's reaction too. Thinking about it though, Matt met Foggy many years before he even gave any thought to becoming a vigilante. What cause is there for him to be hiding the fact that he can effectively see? He walks around pretending to be blind, and we as the viewer accept it because its his secret identity. But when he had only one identity? He's telling a gigantic lie for no reason whatsoever.

25. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Well, he is blind. He just uses another sense.
    He's the blind superhero whose power is...not...being...blind?