main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Marvel's Daredevil (Born Again, Again, Being Filmed Again)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Looks like he did 3.

2. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i've never seen arrow, but my expectations were already drastically lowered after the joke that was the defenders. moderately high hopes for the punisher though.

3. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    15 years ago yesterday, another precursor to the MCU dropped into theaters...

I still like the film. I found the film entertaining and one of the better Marvel films that been released up to that point. I mean, I recall watching Dolph Lundgren's Punisher and being bothered with the fact that he never wore a skull on his chest. It's the simplest costume ever.

Anyway, at the time of its release, Marvel fans, like myself, were craving for more their characters to get the silver screen treatment with the success of Blade and the X-Men. Keep in mind, Fox would drop like a Marvel movie like every other year and they weren't that great but it was something and a step in the right direction. Additionally, Fox's Daredevil tried to capture the feels of The Matrix in its fight choreography, style and special effects, which look very dated now.

I thought Ben Affleck made a pretty good Matt Murdock/Daredevil. The film gives Daredevil a good origin story, but weird stuff like the water coffin bed. However, it tried to explain that was the only way for Matt to block out all the noise and get some sleep. There were a lot of little things like that in the movie, like Matt folding different values of money differently to distinguish them. It also provided how Matt's sees through sound vibrations/radar, like when it rains. There's some pretty good cinematography and imagery that helps it connect with the source material.

Collin Farrell as Bulleyes was fun to watch.

The playground scene with Elektra didn't bother.

I still watch the film from time to time.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's really more that Daredevil was trying to capture the wire-fu of the early X-Men films, which themselves were probably inspired by late 90's Asian imports or Asian-inspired films like The Matrix. They generally don't hold up in either comic book film.

DD was ahead of the curve, though- wire-fu aside, it strived to hit that more grounded, dark and gritty tone (and, generally speaking, it succeeded- it's likely the darkest superhero film since the Burton films while lacking Burton's humor).

It fell short of the mark in some places, excelled in others (CF as Bulls-Eye is immensely entertaining) The Director's Cut is far superior, though.

And this deleted scene has the greatest 10 seconds at the start:

5. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Yeah, say what you will about that film, you can tell Colin was having a blast with Bullseye.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    S3 promo art by Quesada:

[​IMG]

7. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
  8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    (groan) [face_laugh]

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000

More of a short clip than a teaser trailer, but just as effective.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    According to one of my favorite online nerd pundit, Grace Randolph, the first six episodes are pretty awesome.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I’ve quickly turned away from Grace’s stuff over the past few months- she tends to become too locked-on to an idea and just drills it in whenever she can even if the idea was a long shot to begin with (it tends to come across as playing for views).

However, when she does make a solid connection, it’s usually something I haven’t seen/heard before and her reviews are usually fair so her advance word would seem promising.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  12. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Seems so odd, yet greatful we're getting Jessica Jones (March), Luke Cage (June), Iron Fist (September) and now Daredevil just 3 months apart from each other.

Daredevil should come early December.

13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I saw that Punisher and Jessica Jones S1 launched in November so really likely late Nov/early Dec. only 9 weeks of Iron Fist to go until Daredevil S3, yay!

cerealbox likes this.
  14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Apparently a deleted tweet accidentally leaked the release date as October 19th, with review embargoes ending on the 12th. It'll also have a NYCC panel the weekend prior to the embargo lift.

15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    gaaaakkkk so soon, too soon, I need at least 2 months to finish Iron Fist S2 at least

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I was too late to catch up on the shows in time for IF S2 but I might jjst make mid Octover for DD S3 if that pans out.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  18. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    That sound you make when the pieces of a dissolving lung get coughed up but you just can't quit the moonshine yet?

@Diggy

Diggy likes this.
  19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000

Season 3 of Marvel’s Daredevil debuts exclusively on Netflix October 19th, 2018.

BigAl6ft6, The2ndQuest and Rew like this.
  20. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Glad to see I was wrong.

At this rate, Punisher could be in December.

We'll have all 5 shows in 2018 it seems

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Even if Punisher hits in early 2019, the first season hit in Nov last year and now that DD S3 hits in Oct this year, so we still got all 5 shows within a 12 month period of time.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    cerealbox likes this.
  22. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    And...I think JJ S3 has already started filming? So that's a 2019 release for that one?

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, there's no way they release JJ S3 before Punisher S2 and they're not going to release DD in Oct, Punisher in Nov and JJ in Dec, so even if Punisher is pushed out fast and gets a xmas release in 2018, JJ S3 will still be 2019.

24. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, I don't see Punisher being release this year. However, it would be nice if it were.

The tagline of this poster makes me think of The Dark Knight Rises, when Bane says something to the effect of "you've adopted the darkness. I was born in it."

[​IMG]

Darth_Furio and heels1785 like this.
  25. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    i am so ready for this. there's nothing out there like daredevil.