main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Marvel's Inhumans [IMAX/ABC]

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Feb 28, 2017.

1. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Up to date with viewing this okay show - since The2ndQuest pointed out the similarities with it and 90's Power Rangers effects and costumes, I'm expecting to see Putties any time now. On an artistic note, I like how Crystal's hair band is rendered as dye rather than a bandeau type, and Medusa's eyebrow makeup, too, make me think of Kirby's original artwork in all those old comics.[face_thinking]

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Medusa trying to get cash from a bank machine was funny. Although I did note the guy said he woke up in a cocoon but we saw Terrigen in the pilot and there was no cocoon but, like I said, probably moon technology. The new bad guy is cool, I like how he's snarky and there was an impressive bit of visual business with the very slowwwww long push on on Maximus that was framed with him through a slit in the wall.

I thought the flashback to Black Blot in the pilot where he used his powers and obliterated his parents was dramatic but it only really works if it was unknown to him and his parents (he didn't know by speaking he would kill them) but this episode revealed that he knew what his powers were while his parents were alive which sort of makes the flashback really weird when looking back on it. If he unintentionally splattered them, that's tragedy. If he knew what he was doing, that just makes him a jerk and murderer. Hopefully they explain that, like they wanted Black Bolt to kill them for ... reasons.

Sith_Sensei__Prime and pronker like this.
  3. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I've tried watching this 3 times now , I've only gotten about 30 mins in .

It really seems unusually bad , doesn't even fit in with the rest of the shows in terms of style or quality .
    It's sorta patronising somehow , with pathetic attempts to set up some sort of 'kingdom' with some klunky stuff about inequality of class like the Divergence movies .

even the FX are cheap looking

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The last two episodes were an improvement, I think, but not significantly. Mostly because Karnak’s plot started to move and Black Bolt has more to do. Still not feeling erratic Medusa or the princess’s plotline. Maximus has an interesting plan though- but a lot of his subplots seem to all end with him executing people which is getting repetitive.

The group of Maximus Inhumans actually has a more interesting powerset than the main characters. Hopefully we’ll get more of them.

Earth Inhumans are formed through cocoons due to the imperfect terrifies crystal sources they were exposed to at random. The royals have purer sources and a more developed exposure process.

So Big Dude got changed on.Earth.

Master_Rebado, BigAl6ft6 and pronker like this.
  5. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    For me, I don't think the show has gotten any better but worse. And that's with even lower expectations.

I can't help but compare Inhumans to the other superhero network TV shows like Supergirl, The Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, The Gifted, Agents of SHIELD, etc. and see how bad Inhumans really is. I mean, Agents of SHIELD's Daisy Johnson aka Quake is far more interesting than any of the Inhumans characters. Even the Inhuman city, Afterlife, in Agents of SHIELD felt more creative that Attilan.

Karnak's relationship feels really forced and moving really fast.

I really don't feel any emotional connections to the characters, other than Lockjaw and no emotional investment in the story. I'm just grinding my way through every episode.

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So... let me get this straight: they killed the black guy first?

7. pronker

Jan 28, 2007

Lockjaw is the Puttie due to his way of appearing and disappearing, upon rewatch of Power Ranger clips.

I am liking Medusa and Black Bolt together more, maybe because they have a functioning relationship?

Triton must put in an appearance at some point ... bottom line is that seeing these characters from long ago reads appeals. and that Hawaii is gorgeous. :)

8. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Unless Triton returns. Then he died first.

By the way. Have they mentioned that Triton and Karnak are brothers yet?

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  9. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Not exactly sure, but they might have mentioned that Triton and Karnak are brothers in the first episode or so since everyone of the main characters are "family."

This show is horrible. It would have been cool in the 60s, but not in modern times especially with the amount of other superheroes shows on TV.

10. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    [face_idea] I'm sensing that others here watch quite a lot of programs and have a broader base to compare this program with than in my neck of the woods. Now that it is over,
    the pinched setting of Attilan bridged the characters' wonder at our earth's scope, and the repeated shots of narrow corridors upheld that sense. Good use of BB's voice to incarcerate/kill his brother, who sure fit the title of Mad with the issue of their parents' deaths. So, goodbye, Lockjaw et al. It was fun to see you all, visualized since 1964 as kinda stuffy and regal. I forget if in Kirby's books you spoke with 'thees' and 'thous' a la Thor. I always liked that about him.[:D]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Ending Inhumans with space refugees like how Thor Ragnrok ended with space refugees was kind of an odd bit of serendipity. I guess they answered how Black Bolt's parents died but, despite Maximus manipulating them, Black Bolt did just straight up murder them which was kind of odd. I still like Maximus, Karnak and Lockjaw on this show so here's hoping they get Lockjaw to teleport them to another Marvel show. Even though Maximus is now a king of a supply room, which was kind of an interesting place to leave him.

pronker and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I believe the statute of limitations on spoilers expired, so I'm not going to use any tags.

The final episode of Inhumans did not have any payoff for anyone that watched every episode, but there really wasn't any story build up to be paid off. The basic plot of the series was the Inhuman Royal Family was exiled to Hawaii, as the King Black Bolt's brother, Maximus, used the Inhuman caste system to stage a revolt. If anything, you'd think the story would be a climatic build up to a show down between Black Bolt and Maximus, but that really doesn't happen as Maximus is more empathetic than the poorly developed and non-endearing Black Bolt. Seriously, the show mostly depicts the Royal Family as the elite and how they're pretty ignorant of the trials and troubles of the lower class. So, in the end, Maximus collapse the protective doom over the Inhuman city of Attilan, giving Black Bolt the opportunity to regain power and saving his people by relocating them to earth. The end.

Although, that one bit of "the true enemy" of the Inhumans did pique my interest. I was thinking either Skrulls or Kree.

This show rarely demonstrated the powers and abilities of their characters, which is huge mistake as it's a show based on characters with superpowers and abilities. It's like Iron Fist, where the main character was born out of the 70's kungfu craze, but doesn't do much kungfu. I know Inhumans has the same showrunner as Iron Fist and it shows.

This series is a huge disappointed as it was not what I hoped it would be when it was announced. I thought Inhumans would be a spinoff of Agents of SHIELD and have really strong ties to each other, especially the way the last season of Agents of SHIELD ended with the team finding themselves in space or perhaps on the surface of the moon where the city of Attilan would be. Moreover, Agents of SHIELD has been building to the discovery of the Royal Family with Sky/Daisy finding the hidden underground Inhuman city and Afterlife. Additionally, with "The Index" I thought this was going to be the path where Inhumans/"gifted" would be hunted down and therefore be the MCU's mutants and the Inhuman Royal Family would be the MCU's X-Men and Attilan the X-Mansion. I was so looking forward to seeing Daisy/Quake fight along side the Royal Family against groups like the "Watchdogs." Something like Fox's "The Gifted." It was all in place for this to happen, but they totally went a different way and Inhumans had very loose ties to Agents of SHIELD.

Inhumans was a bigger disappoint than Iron Fist and makes Fant4stic look like an Oscar worth film. The show is pretty much devoid of superpowers. The story doesn't do anything to make their characters endearing or heroic; the trademark of the MCU. Thus, no emotional connection or investment in the characters or their plight. It just has the characters meandering individually for the most part and reunite to be divided up again with not real use of the power.

Having said all that, if by some grace by Disney God, Bob Iger, there's a season two, I'll be there to watch it.

pronker and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Watched the last few episodes. I still think this was more watchable than Iron Fist if only because it’s consistently mediocre-at-best, whereas Iron Fist alternates between being terrible and being kinda cool at times.

So, I guess it really depends if you’d rather have a consistent viewing experience or one that has a few highlights amongst true lows. Oddly enough it’s, like, Inhumans is more watchable but not worth watching while IF is less watchable (at least at times) but is still worth watching despite those flaws.

I mean, Karnak was flat out great, Maximus was decent, Black Bolt was interesting (maybe not sympathetic but Anton did a good job still) and Triton ended up being good for action despite looking terrible.

To its credit, I thought the second-to-last episode and part of the finale were a definite improvement over the rest of the series. It really makes it feel like you could get a slightly more entertaining result out of cutting this miniseries down from 8 episodes to 3-4 (basically the pilot, the last 2 episodes and a much briefer fish out of water 2nd act- just cut out all the genetic council and rebellion subplots with the guy who looks kinda like Whedon). It would also make Triton’s absence more logical (he was a red shirt in episode 1 and an ultimate badass in the finale? talk about missing a middle step there).

Even then though, I agree that it was lacking in payoff. They built up the scientists role and he gets killed off pretty randomly, for instance.

Hopefully the few interesting threads here will get picked up by AOS later this season- with a Karnak or Lockjaw cameo or Black Bolt showing up or something as a bonus. We have “the true enemy” and “the boss” as the primary details needing a follow up.

I’m wondering if the boss is SHIELD/Fury/Coulson, Stark or the not-SWORD-or-SPEAR
    alien
    MIB guy from the AOS cliffhanger.

Timeline wise, the reference to them belonging on a registry implies the series is post-Civil Wa/Accords, not pre-CW/just-after-early-AOS-S3, as I had initially speculated.

The “threat” also implies this is more current than that, as an AOS S5 connection would also confirm.

Oh, and I do want to highlight the score to the miniseries by Sean Callery (he worked on 24 & Jessica Jones, among others). The show may have had trouble being epic but the main theme and some of the main moments were at least pretty big.

BigAl6ft6 and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  14. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, I like the opening score of Inhumans but looking at the intro, it looks like it's for an animated series.

I'm not sure if I want any cross-over between Inhumans and Agents of SHIELD in this upcoming season of AoS, as the show has it's own footing and like last season's Ghost Rider and Madame Hydra, it has an opportunity to introduce other under used characters.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    True, but Inhumans have been part of the show's plotline since the beginning- even last season we still had the Watchdogs, the senator and the russian alongside AIDA and Ghost Rider. The royal Inhumans colliding with the Watchdogs or Daisy would make perfect sense- well, once the main crew get back from space, at least.

pronker and Mia Mesharad like this.
  16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    ^ See that's the thing I thought we'd get in The Inhumans series. Payoff of the happenings in Agents of SHIELD.

I remember a comment about Inhumans being Marvel's Game of Thrones, which is really exciting and plausible with the Inhuman caste system in place.

I do think Inhumans is a better overall series that Iron Fist, but I'm just more disappointed with it.

17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    The only character I didn't care about in Iron Fist was Ward, I was fairly invested in everyone else's arcs and performances. Yes, even the much maligned Danny Rand. Poor guy was raised by Ninja Monks to be the Ultimate Weapon to Destroy the Hand, he's gonna be a little weird! Inhumans I only cared for 3 people and 1 of them was a teleporting dog so I'm giving a pass to Iron Fist in that regard.

18. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    I have similar thoughts. I don’t know anything about the backstory or story of these characters. I spent the first half of the show trying to figure out how Maximus was really the bad guy.

Oppressed people, king that murdered his parents and ruled with fear... In any other story Maximus would’ve been the hero rescuing the people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sith_Sensei__Prime and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It’s totally Justice League.

But I don’t think it’s out of place for a live action intro, if we actually still had longer opening credit sequences on main network TV these days. It would match up well with several MCU end credit sequences, for instance. Star Trek DIS is kinda in that same ballpark too.

20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Officially cancelled.

Sith_Sensei__Prime and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
  22. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Random thought: What would happen if Black Bolt were to yell at Thanos? :p

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah unsurprisingly it's cancelled. However, this may mean good things for Agents of SHIELD because I can't see Disney being happy if ABC goes an entire season without Marvel branded programming. As for Black Bolt yelling at Thanos, that would have to be somewhere on the moon way away from everyone and everything and frankly Thanos could probably just reality stone Black Bolt's yelp.

Anyway, I'd say the Inhumans from the moon are probably all dead. They ended the season corralled into one living space on Earth and I'd say General Ross took one look at them and decided to nuke the site from orbit. Only way to be sure.

24. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Agents of SHIELD is well past expiration. I agree that Marvel isn't going to give up on broadcast TV, but they need something new, and better. The Gifted is the kind of show that FOX, who can barely put one foot in front of the other when it comes to their franchises, shouldn't be shaming Disney with. And they very much are, because AoS isn't, and has never been close to that quality.

Whatever this ****show (literally) was should be scrubbed from their universe forever. Reboot BB and the big dog down the road. Never bring back claymation hair and the low budget PBS costuming division. IMAX, lol.

25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I don't disagree that Agents of SHIELD has had a long enough of a run (once you hit 5 seasons, 100 eps it's kinda a tossup at that point to keep going) but ABC doesn't have any Marvel stuff in active development or a pilot for next season and the Mouse probably wouldn't like that. Unless ABC has something Marvel up their sleeve for midseason / January 2019.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    heels1785 likes this.