main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Marvel's Iron Fist

Discussion in 'Community' started by Todd the Jedi , Apr 20, 2016.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    You've missed out on some awesome television. The Ghost Rider arc didn't really stick the landing but LMD was stronger than it had any reason to be.

Rew likes this.
  2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003

I didn't enjoy it. I loved the Peggy/Howard stuff in Cap 1, but lost interest in AC after a few episodes. I eventually finished it, but it's not top-tier to me.

3. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014

Yodaminch and FatBurt like this.
  4. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    Just a couple of episodes in, it's....okay. Not as bad as some critics were saying but it's nothing special either (and piling on cliches doesn't help its cause). Has enough going on that I want to keep watching though.

5. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    ...I don't think this show is much different from the other Marvel shows. >_>

6. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Same here.

Also, I don't remember the last time a character was my least favorite in the first episode, and by the last episode was my favorite.

7. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I would agree entirely. But I also think the reviews for this show are accurately describing its quality.

Penguinator likes this.
  8. Penguinator

May 23, 2005

I think there's plenty of hyperbole. I feel like most of these shows have had bits or moments that really stick in my head, but beyond that they're working towards... something. It's never a compelling end to a narrative, though, because there are always fifteen lose ends and 90% of Rosario Dawson's dialogue is world-building or foreshadowing.

heels1785 likes this.
  9. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    David Wenham is in on the joke.

10. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    David Wenham is the villain 2017 needs.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  11. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    After reading the comics and binge watching the entire series and seeing clues, I thought that Madame GAO was

Crane Mother but now the lead me to the conclusion that she is a previous Iron Fist [spoiler/]

But now i believe

car [spoiler/]

12. Sniper_Wolf

Nov 26, 2002
    This show is all kinds of awful, but mon dieu, Wenham just does not give a frak. Perfect birthday gift.

BigAl6ft6 and Penguinator like this.
  13. Penguinator

May 23, 2005

He's having the time of his life and we are but mere observers on his journey.

I don't mind this series at all, but it is pretty bland and is kind of making me doubt that any of the other ones were actually good.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  14. Sniper_Wolf

Nov 26, 2002
    By most objective standard's the show is terrible, even when taking in Stephen Amell's acting as a comparison. However, when the show falls on St. Patrick's Day, the day before my birthday, when people give me a free fifth of Bushmills because my last name is Lawrence-O'Rear since "'Merica Ireland long the IRA GO! despite being made in Ulster," and my girlfriend is holding my hand, stuff becomes magical. God, I wish I had a sidekick like that. ^:)^

15. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    First two episodes, and I'm done with that nonsense. It's as bad as Daredevil is good.

16. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    "Do you have any vanilla?"

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Two episodes in, and I'm finding it easier to get into than Luke Cage. And I liked Luke Cage.

The dynamic with the billionaire family ****ing over the other billionaire family in the absolute worst way, is interesting to me. Especially given the solid gold tea set, the patriarch never leaving the penthouse and the demands for "loyalty."

18. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Agreed, Luke Cage was slow going for me and I didn't get into it until a second sun through.

I'm on episode 6 now and whilst it isn't Jessica Jones or Daredevil it isn't bad.

19. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I've just finished episode 4 and I think it's found its feet to some extent. After the disappointment of episode 1 I've started to enjoy the last couple of episodes.

20. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    On episode 4 now and I like it decently enough. I only managed five episodes of Luke Cage before I dropped that one, and I finished JJ but didn't love that either. I think a major problem these shows are suffering from is that they just don't have the content to be 13 episodes a season. Daredevil has a rich history with great villains and a supporting cast that's branched off and become a big deal themselves. These three... haven't. As such they have to devote time to random characters that nobody really cares about. The insistence that each episode be 50 minutes+ doesn't help the shows either.

Cut the episode counts to ten a season, and lower it to 45 minutes an episode, and I think we'll get better shows. Less melodrama for the sake of filler, less bs, and more meat that matters.

21. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    So five episodes in and the one thing that does stick out to me as different than frankly all other superhero shows is Danny himself:

He's totally honest about where he was and very, very naive. And that's what gets him in trouble in those first two episodes. When you look at Bruce and Ollie who just flat out lied about what they went through, they faced less scrutiny. That said, they also left and came back much sooner. 15 years is a much larger gap so of course people would be skeptical of Danny's identity. I am glad they cleared it all up by episode 4 though. I did not want that to drag out.

22. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Jessica Jones = choleric, Matt Murdock = melancholic, phlegmatic = Luke Cage

So of course, Danny Rand = sanguine

23. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Just finished episode 6. Yeah, you know what, I really dig this show a lot. It really kind of feels like a spin-off to daredevil, while JJ and Luke Cage felt like their own thing. And I dig that. It feels very "universe" Raquel in how often other characters show up and are referenced. It really succeeds where the film side of the MCU fails for me.

I also really like Finn as Danny. He nails that "innocent hero" schtick, and I feel he's incredibly likeable. Jessica Henwick is great as Colleen too. She doesn't entirely have the fight choreography down the first few episodes, but by six I feel like she's got a grasp on it, and is suitably kicking ass. She's basically what they wanted Katana to be in suicide squad (bad ass Asian girl) but this time they spent more than five minutes on her. I'm hoping to see some good bushido swordsmanship from her by the end of the season as they've hinted at it already, and I know her comic characters abilities.

Ward and Joy I wrote off initially, but at this point I feel like they've developed into interesting charactersnin their own right. I'm curious where the show will take them.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  24. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Watched the first 4 so far. Not as bad as I expected, though not as good as I hoped. It's ok, perhaps to get better?

25. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Danny left when he was 10. So he comes back with a 10 year old's outlook on the real world. So of course he's naive.

Yodaminch likes this.