main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Marvel's Iron Fist

Discussion in 'Community' started by Todd the Jedi , Apr 20, 2016.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Gao is the closest thing but they keep her pretty distant to keep her mysterious- although this is probably the closest we've ever gotten to her

Another interesting observation I had:
    It's really kinda neat that both Iron Fist (or at least Danny specifically) and The Hand (or at least Bakuto and his faction) effectively trained to combat one another while essentially believing the other to be a myth or legend (up until they learn otherwise).

Also, once Claire gave Danny Luke's shirt, I couldn't help but think we'll eventually get a Poe/Finn jacket-type moment, ha...

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

But... vow of chastity. Floor sleeping.

No credit for his honour there?

heels1785 likes this.
  3. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Well, the next season villains for each of the Netflix shows:

Defenders will deal with the Hand and whoever Sigourney Weaver really is.

Daredevil, I can see Fisk getting his revenge on Matt pretty cruelly. Those who read comics, know what I'm hinting at. But also, a third season will most likely see Bullseye arrive.

Luke Cage will have Shades and Mariah as the king and queen of Harlem's underworld. And now Diamonback can return as Luke's obvious shadow archetype: half brother with same power but evil.

Iron Fist season 2 villains, I already mentioned.

Jessica Jones is a lot harder to pin down. Nuke, Trish's ex, is still loose. But how much of a threat is he to Jessica. Though since Jessica Jones season 2, immediately follows Defenders, her series might deal with that series' aftermath.

4. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Ok, just finished the fourth episode. While it hasn't destroyed the series, some of the dialogue showing its age and shoe size correlation with lines such as:

"The hand are like the illuminati...only real!" - shrewd 50 year old billionaire who was calculated enough to convincingly stage his own death...apparently.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    So after much thought, here's where I think the mistakes were:

So Daredevil opens with Matt's accident. Jessica Jones shows us the flashback of her accident. We got the whole episode with Luke's origins. But Danny? That plane scene over and over again and some brief flashes of monks. And one shot of him getting beaten by a stick with his head shaved. And then another of him before confronting Shou Lou and one after.

But never do we see Danny TRAINING to be the Iron Fist. We have the moment when he's fighting Madame Gao's trainers and the Thunderer is lecturing him. But that's not the same as actually seeing Danny in K'un Lun. We never get any attachment to the place or the people. We don't see what Danny does. Why? Because all we see are reasons to leave. We don't really see any proof that Danny is better/worse than any monk there.

Compare that to the multiple scenes of Matt's childhood, losing his father, meeting Stick, training with Stick, and meeting Foggy. And with Jessica's trauma, how much more did we get about what Kilgrave did, we also saw Trish's abusive childhood and her friendship with Jessica develop after Jessica protects her. Luke gave us the Church scene and his time in prison. Again for Danny, we got the plane. Over and over again. How many times did Heather get sucked out of that plane? And what did we learn?

BUT, as bad as this is, nothing beats the awfulness of not developing Meachum. We were treated to wonderful flashbacks of Fisk (a rabbit in a snowstorm), Kilgrave had tons of time dedicated to what caused his powers, and then we got plenty of backstory for Cottonmouth and Maria and they did give us some info for Diamondback as well. But Meachum? We hear he looked the same as when he died (only healthier). And Gao doesn't really age. So then, why couldn't they SHOW us scenes of Harold and Gao meeting? Why couldn't they show us scenes of Wendell and Harold actually being business partners and butting heads? There's a part when Harold talks about being on the roof of the building and wanting to push Wendell to his death. Why not sure us that scene? One character is from that time period. The other allegedly didn't age since his death.

And why in the world do we see Meachum hit that punching bag, even to the point of rupturing it, only for Danny and Meachum to never trade blows and instead resort to a gun?

The issue with this season was the lack of show don't tell. We were given far too much exposition and shown very little. We could have even gotten some young Colleen and Hand Academy (or whatever they call it) to tie in with the rest. Instead, we watched Heather get sucked out of the plane a few more times.

BigAl6ft6, Rew and soitscometothis like this.
  6. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    I have finished 8 episodes and after the last one (China) the show is really testing my patience. Sad!

7. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Fixed.

On a serious note, though, that was a thoughtful analysis.

8. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Yeah, stuff like that really sticks out when you compare it to the other Netflix shows.

Lack of K'un Lun flashbacks, besides budget constraints, is no excuse.

9. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    I never read Iron Fist, so what angers me the most is, after watching 9 episodes you can tell this series probably had the most potential for awesomeness and they totally blew it.

True Sith and soitscometothis like this.
  10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Despite the reviews, Iron Fist is Netflix top 2017 series so far.

“Marvel’s Iron Fist” drew some of the most scathing reviews that any Netflix series has earned. But the critical dog pile apparently did little to dampen enthusiasm for the show.

The superhero drama’s March 17 premiere was the most binge-watched this year for a Netflix drama, according to data from research firm 7Park Data, which measures number of streams on subscription video services. The company found that 54.7% of “Iron Fist” streams on the premiere date were of episodes three or higher. The average hour-long show on Netflix has a binge score of 46.9%.

“Iron Fist” also accounted for 14.6% of all Netflix streams on March 17 — the highest percentage of any series premiere that 7Park measured, topping “Stranger Things” (4.0%), “Marvel’s Luke Cage” (12.8%), “Marvel’s Daredevil” Season 2 (13.8%), and “Orange is the New Black” Season 4.

11. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    The half boiled origin story and the repeated flashbacks and "I just want to talk" moments of the first couple episodes were my main complaints about this otherwise fun show. The fight scenes drastically improve, Finn Jones as Danny is pretty likeable in my opinion (what others see as privilege or entitlement, I sort of see as innocence and naivety), and I actually enjoyed the sort of Ayn Rand influenced corporate sub plot. Won't go into much analysis besides that, but the show was fun enough if not superhero masterpiece quality like The first few shows.

The show has potential. Cut down on episodes in season 2 to up the budget on remaining episodes and fully embrace the weirdness of the Iron Fist mythology.

12. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Finally got around to watching the last episode. This was a lightweight series in a heavyweight contest - the other Netflix series made up for their lack of action sequences by solidly grounding their characters in their gritty, low-rent surroundings; Iron Fist and his mythology was ill-suited this approach. After having waited so many years to see him on-screen this really hurt. The Iron Fist property deserved better than this.

Finn Jones gave a very early-Keanu-Reeves-style performance. He was actually better than I thought he would be, but he still was not strong enough to compensate for bad creative decisions, and the minimal training time allowed did not help his fight-scenes. I don't see why they didn't give him a mask so they could sub in a stunt-man more easily? Then again, even when they were using a stunt-man the action scenes were still lacklustre, so perhaps this project was simply too much for this creative-team.

There were some things I liked about this - Jessica Henwick was good, Tom Pelphry's Ward Meachum was interesting, and David Wenham was kind of fun as Harrold, but not really threatening enough to be THE villain of the story; but overall this felt rushed and under-budgeted.

13. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
  14. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    As much as I loved JJ, I honestly don't think she needs a second season. If they really want to do one (which it's clear they do) I'd say do a prequel season focusing on her superhero days and her early interactions with Kilgrave.

15. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Too late. They just started filming Jessica Jones Season 2 today

Kiki-Gonn likes this.
  16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Having finally finished this I can say yeah this is easily the weakest of the Marvel Netflix shows. Most of the actors are pretty good; I loved seeing Carrie-Ann Moss and Wai Ching Ho again. It's just the overarching plot basically meanders to the finish. I'll echo what others have said about
    how they should have fleshed out K'un L'un more, and given us better understanding of Danny's purpose beyond "destroy The Hand."
    But still I enjoyed it for the most part. I'll definitely enjoy seeing Jones bounce off the other Defenders actors.

17. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Just finished episode seven and i'm a little confused over one thing:

Gao.

In Daredevil, it is clear that Gao represents her own interests while Nobu represents The Hand. Unless i've forgotten, when was Gao representing The Hand? Especially since she's Chinese and The Hand are a Japanese group of warriors.

18. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    This is something that's asked time and time again across the internet and probably in this very thread. I think they changed their minds about who she was between Daredevil and Iron First. It's awkward writing.

19. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    In that case...i'm starting to get on board with some of the criticism because that is both lazy and ignorant on the part of the writers. I still like the show, but I spent this entire episode trying to connect the dots thinking that i'd overlooked something or simply forgotten something from Daredevil. Perhaps it will be addressed in The Defenders.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Finished the series last night. Yeah, that ending is underwhelming
    as we had no real attachment to Kun'lun, or had the mechanics of its access detailed (ie: is this what it looks like from our world's POV when "the path is closed"? In other words, is this normal (minus the dead monks)?).

Also, from the first episode I fully expected First-Name-Ward to be the worst part of the series but he ended up being pretty well rounded as a character, so kudos to the actor and writing there for at elast avoiding that problem, even if the show obviously had other issues,

Having watched the final episode it now seems more clear that their intention was for Harold to be the main villain of the season, but the way it was executed doesn't really give the series that anchoring- Bakuto came across as a stronger villain, IMO.

But, I agree, should they have a second season, there are stronger villain choices going forward.

Iron Fist does make it clear that there are multiple factions within The Hand. Presumably Gao's faction was focused on the drug trade from China to NYC, while Bakuto's was about recruitment and surveillance while the faction from DD S2 was about the excavation project.

21. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Yeah. No doubt Ward ended up having the best overall arc, which is surprising.

Truthfully, I think that series showrunner Scott Buck could identify more with Ward than he ever could with Danny.

Unlike the other showrunners: DeKnight with Daredevil, Rosenberg with Jessica Jones and Coker with Luke Cage.

Hopefully we get a better showrunner for season 2.

22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I think how it's supposed to work is they've both always been The Hand, but they were running separate operations within NYC. My guess is there's still someone higher up within The Hand we've not yet seen, but will probably see in either The Defenders or a later season of DD or IF. Also I think Nobu was only revealed to be with The Hand in DD S2, so by then they may have been more aware of future plans for IF and The Defenders.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    I thought in Daredevil Gao said that she came from somewhere very far away, suggesting one of the off-Earth extra-dimensional cities of the IIF mythology. I can't remember the exact words but it definitely seemed that she was saying that she wasn't from anywhere you could get to using air-miles. I think the Iron Fist writers changed that with their Hand factions.

24. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Possibly, though I remember speculation that that line meant she was from K'un L'un or had something to do with it.

Either way yeah there's a decent chance there was a small retcon somewhere along the way.

25. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Nope, according to the actress, Madame Gao is from
    K'un Lun but she's like 400 years old. And has been in the normal world for a while now.

If you're familIr with the comics, the rumors are she's either Crane Mother or a substitute for Master Khan.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.