main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Marvel's Jessica Jones

Discussion in 'Community' started by Todd the Jedi , Sep 16, 2015.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    That's not borrowing, that's theft.

Can I borrow $50?

2. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007

Eh... I knew who had them, and you really don't want to be the guy who nags someone over something so trivial. 1 microwave and 2 vacuums were returned... but not in working order.

As soon as I get the $100 back my sophmore roommate owes me.

3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Knowing who thieved doesn't make it not thieving.

To get back on topic, one remarkably dumb thing to me was

Jessica not realizing Kevin no longer had power over her. It should have been instant at the bus crash. The reasonable explanation is she was in shock due to the kill, but still. She should have realised at some point.

4. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Was it instant at the bus crash? After so long being under his complete control, would she immediately notice if she no longer HAD to follow his commands? Maybe she'd been free for hours and hadn't realized it.

5. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    He lost power over her right after she killed Luke's wife, the act of doing it somehow was too much and made her immune. But she was so traumatized and in shock over it all it never really registered with her. She might have assumed she didn't follow his orders because she was just not mentally there at the moment to follow them.

Hogarth Wrightson likes this.
  6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Finished episode 5 tonight (er... this morning). Really loving this show so far- definitely like it better than Daredevil at this point. The cast just works so well here (except for the guy playing the cop who I liked in previous episodes but not so much here- though that could be a writing issue). Man, Kilgrave is so slimy...

7. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I think the show has perfectly depicted what it's like having an English accent in Murica

Point Given and Abadacus like this.
  8. Xodax

Xodax Jedi Knight

Aug 24, 2015
    Finally finished after taking my time and going slowly. I really enjoyed it.

9. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    On episode 9 now. So far, so good.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Avoided this thread while I watched the whole series, so I'm just catching up to the discussion.
    The one that stuck out to me was Jeri working out of the Bank of America tower. They even had a shot of the name on the street entrance! :p

But yeah, I really enjoyed the series. Ritter killed it as the lead, and I really liked how some of the characters evolved over the course of the show, like
    Simpson and Malcolm. I liked Simpson at first and his seeming repentance about trying to kill Trish. And then I still enjoyed him as he went full-blown psycho super-soldier wannabe. Malcolm was great because he started out as a side side character that just seemed like a bit of comic relief, until the revelation about how he became an addict, and his subsequent journey to sobriety and altruism.
    Good, good stuff, and now I'm even more pumped for the Luke Cage series, going by Colter's performance in this show.

Hogarth Wrightson likes this.
  11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Bank of America building actually has tenants besides BoA, including a law firm. That was totally natural to me. :p

12. The Sith Camp

The Sith Camp Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 10, 2015
    Say ... on a side note guys - HOW STRONG is Jessica Jones? I mean is she up to Hulk Level or even has the potential to take on Hulk or well even the Silver Surfer or Ms. Marvel? I mean well at the very least she apparently one time gave a punch to Spider-Woman and sent her flying and knocked her out ...

13. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Undocumented though she has been seen throwing cars.

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    She is seemingly significantly depowered in the show.

15. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    So after binging on Daredevil in three days I've moved onto Jessica Jones and I'm not as hooked after three episodes. Jones as a character is far less likeable and interesting than Matt Murdock and I find I'm watching it in spite of her, as well as out of a sense of completion for the MCU. It feels like a show about "issues", which is to be applauded, but not as well put together or as interesting as it should be.

I'm liking what I've seen of Kilgrave though. Could well be better than Wesley and Fisk.

16. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    She just needs a good montage to increase her powers to accurate levels.

Point Given likes this.
  17. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I liked Supergirl using a car as a punching bag. Reminded me so much of The Incredibles.

It would be difficult to watch someone as scrawny as Ritter lifting weights. She looks like she could strain her back lifting plastic prop weights.

18. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    You're adorable

19. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    I don't think Jessica is depowered on the show, I think it's more she's never really had reason to test her limits and see how much she can do. She's mostly used her powers to do normal things more easily, she's never really done anything to push herself with them.

So I wouldn't rule out flying or even greater feats of strength if she decides to start training and/or pushing herself more. Whether or not she does so I dunno, but I wouldn't rule it out.

20. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    No, I'd say she's pretty much depowered. At times she struggles with normal people. She even struggles with Simpson, who should not be that close to her.

21. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    so is Iron Fist in this ?

22. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007

Clark in Smallville struggled with tons of people he should've mopped the floor with as Superman. With Jessica she gave up being a hero and became a private eye, she's not encountering other powered people to go up against and for the most part she uses her powers to do normal things easier, break a lock, jump up a few stories, beat up some people, or to intimidate people. She's never really had to use them in a way that pushed her powers.

Trish tossing her to the floor showed that Jessica really doesn't have trained fighting skills and isn't really that skilled at fighting, she has her powers which give her an edge over everyone but she's not really that skilled at fighting and hasn't really trained to be a fighter. Her fight with Luke was probably the first time she's fought another powered person and with Luke she didn't want to hurt him or really go at it with him.

So she may be depowered in that she's not as strong as her comic counterpart. But I don't think that is going to be permanent or has to be permanent. I can see by Defenders or season 2 her being able to do a lot more or show a lot more strength.

I mean it is a staple of comics and superhero stuff that heroes/heroines get stronger/more skilled over time.

alucasfinch likes this.
  23. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    I think they simply toned her down to remain a viable street-level team character.

24. The Sith Camp

The Sith Camp Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 10, 2015

Um excuse me? I'm just asking simply about Jessica Jone's strength - IS SHE Street Leveler OR she's even potentially above Spiderman and Luke Cage?

25. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    You're excused