main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Marvel's Jessica Jones

Discussion in 'Community' started by Todd the Jedi , Sep 16, 2015.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I finished this last night and loved it; as people have already said, it gets better as it goes along with background on Trish, Jessica and Kilgrave. And with Luke coming back. (Did someone say he's getting his own show?)

Kilgrave is the creepiest villain I have ever seen, and I've read Stephen King books. He was so creepy that the show was hard to watch at times but "hard to watch" in a way that means "I have to keep binging to see if Jessica/Luke/etc. get out of this."

Nice to see Rosario Dawson in her nurse role and the side Daredevil mention, made me wonder if there will be some crossover.

Glad we're getting a season 2.

I loved Sense8. [face_blush]

Sith_Sensei__Prime and Diggy like this.
  2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Yes, Luke is getting his own show.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  3. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012

I've recently watched the first season of Sense8 a second time and, admittedly, it has grown on me a lot more than in my first viewing. I found myself spending my first run through just getting to know the characters and their names. The second viewing allowed me to become more embedded in the story. I like it a lot more now but there won't be Season 2 until 2017.

The Punisher may potentially be getting his own show too.

4. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    There'll be a big crossover in the upcoming Defenders series.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  5. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Rosario Dawson will be in Luke Cage see Diggy's Luke Cage thread.

I was surprised that a couple of my friends didn't like Jessica Jones. It was just too dark and depressing for them.

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Finished the show last nite, it's pretty strong overall although as I mentioned I do think when it gets away from Jessica / Killgrave, it tends to dither around with supporting characters. However, Simpsons turned out to be freakin' Nuke! "Gimmie a red," which set off my nerd-radar so that made it more interesting.

Slight note that the final confrontation of the season

I was hoping they'd go full-on Purple Man, as in when he got injected he was going to turn purple and they ALMOST hinted at it where he had purple go into his skin, but he was normal skin coloured after the injection. But I did notice purple popping in his neck when he hollered "STOP!" Also where Jessica snaps Killgrave's neck I thought was big deal because she actually did kill him and I wasn't sure A) she'd go through with it B) it does take away a significant adjunct of what made the show what it is. However, this is Rosenberg and she's from Dexter so A) dithering side characters is a thing B) the big baddie dies at the end. But what made Dexter seasons great where when they could come up with a better big baddie, the other ones not so much. Some are so good they loomed over the entire series and definitely Killgrave is that.

And, this is a minor quibble but I thought the final moment of her snapping Killgrave's neck was so strong I almost wished they had rolled credits on that. The next 8 minutes are ... okay, and it does some plot stuff to show Jessica isn't going to jail / and her becoming a hero to others (the final shot of her in the office as the phone is ringing is grand). But the snap is so big, I would have loved it if that's where they ended the season.

7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    She had to snap his neck b cause now, going forward, we do t know that she won't do it again.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  8. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    As great as Tennant was in the role, i'd like to see them progress with a new story/case/adversary as the arc for Season 2. I've never read the comic but in the universe we've seen so far I can only imagine there are many possibilities for a private detective. Go to town on the noir, even more so than Season 1.

9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    The OG Alias comic (been awhile since I read it) had Purple Man as the overriding baddie but there's a couple of smaller arcs that could be sustained for a season (there's a drug dealing storyline about Mutant Growth Hormone that's giving people superpowers which they kinda did with Simpson but I saw that more as setting up him to go full Nuke). But they basically did the major Alias arc - Jessica Jones vs. Purple Man as Season 1. I kind of wish like in the comic he had her attack the Avengers, though. But they did throw in the "Jewel" costume in a flashback.

10. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Actually, regarding Purple Man. I've recently been doing a Daredevil re-watch and realised something. Karen, in the first episode, finds herself in an apartment with a bloodied knife and a dead body with no recollection of the events after leaving the bar with the guy. Is it possible that she was under Purple Man's mind control, possibly hired by Fisk?

11. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007

I thought they explained that as her just being setup via normal criminal means.

12. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012

They did but it was more Matt surmising that she was drugged rather than actually knowing what happened to her. The show didn't consider the how as being important, and for good reason. But it was left open ended enough for Purple Man to have played a role if you wanted to believe that he did.

BigAl6ft6 and Diggy like this.
  13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I can go with that.

14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Finally finished the season. Had gotten up to the street sign reveal before the holidays but had no time until the last couple weeks to finish it off.

The first half of the season is incredibly strong and the finish comes in fairly strong but there's a couple episodes about 3/4ths the way through where it stumbles a bit (or at least loses momentum).

Most of that stumbling comes from a shift in focus to the weaker of the supporting characters: mainly Simpson and the weirdo red head (the former of which felt very unnecessary and just weak setup for next season, while the latter has to suddenly make the awfully stupid decision).

However, to their credit, the impact of their actions on the characters still at least partially justifies their inclusion. Still, the show ultimately ends up feeling like they could have cut two episodes (from the gap between when Luke leaves to when he returns) and made it much stronger.

But overall, I loved the show- Ritter is great and Tennant is fantastic as an incredibly vile villain. I enjoyed it more than Daredevil S1 (probably because I didn't need most of the season to adjust to the take on the main villain like I did with Kingpin) and look forward to season 2.

"This is a good man."
    "And you?"
    "I'm an *******."

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah I do maintain the gaggle of supporting oddball characters is Rosenberg's Dexter instincts kicking in. Which can be a coinflip sometimes. Sometimes you get gold that works with the plot, other times it seems like mugging filler. But I thought Season 1 of Jessica Jones managed to deploy them well, although like in Dexter I do get impatient sometimes for them to get back to the very strong protagonist / antagonist relationship.

As for the big spoiler finale scenes

while I thought it was executed well - hah! - there was also a part of me that was hoping they'd keep Killgrave around and somehow have him and Fisk be the main baddies of Defenders. That woulda rocked.

16. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I agree with the point in the spoiler.

Having just watched DareDevil S2. I loved the way that DD referenced JJ without being to overt about it. It was a great way to tie storylines together without being overbearing and all LOOK AT WHAT HAPPENED IN THIS SHOW about it.

I think Flash and Arrow do this quite well but use very pronounced cross overs. DD and JJ don't which really work and it will be interesting to see how Luke Cage handles it and subsequently how Defenders brings it all together.

I would now love for the MCU or even AoS to have just a throwaway comment on the Netflix universe to help keep it all tied together, it's not essential but would be a lovely link

Sith_Sensei__Prime and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    the movies not referencing AoS or the Netflix shows seems to be status quo (but they have Spider-Man now and Punisher and Kingpin are Spider-Man baddies, dammit!) but the fact that AoS hasn't done anything with the Netflix shows yet is kind of odd because they're both ABC Studios productions. However, the powerset of the Netflix shows is something that SHIELD could deal with pretty much every day and not be too concerned.

I mean I would freakin' LOVE if Jessica Jones showed up on AoS but if Coulson and SHIELD got wind of Killgrave, they'd probably be like "Hey, Fitz, load up one of your drones to drop this Killgrave fellow from miles out and we'll dump him in a containment unit" and the season would have been over in 10 minutes.

18. Darth Kronos

Darth Kronos Force Ghost star 6

Jan 2, 2016
    Do we still need to use spoiler tags? It's been 4 months.

19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    It's the big moment in the final ep, I view season finales - especially what happens here - as perma-spoilers, but that's just me.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm sure AOS will reference them eventually- and I wouldn't be surprised if they use Creel to do it very soon given he just happened to return on AOS within a week of DD's return and he has a link to Matt's father.

21. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012

No.

We actually established a rule in the Daredevil thread. For all streaming shows which are released in bulk, they follow the same spoiler rules as movies.

In case you don't believe me....ahem....

KILGRAVE DIES WITH JESSICA BREAKING HIS NECK.

See?

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Two weeks is the enforced spoiler period rule but people can use tags as a courtesy if they'd like.

That said, it's probably unnecessary at this point-a few off cases like myself excluded, even if JJ had aired traditionally an episode every week, it would have finished airing by now.

23. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Definitely no need for JJ-Season 1 spoilers.

Daredevil should have a spoiler-period until April 1, which I believe to be the case at present.

24. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Punisher has not been a Spiderman villain in 40 years. What a profoundly silly thing to say.

25. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    are we expecting a Daredevil/Jessica Jones crossover episode at some point?