main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Marvel's Jessica Jones

Discussion in 'Community' started by Todd the Jedi , Sep 16, 2015.

1. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013

To me, it never does. I watched the entire thing, but was just left unsatisfied. Many people really enjoy that show though, so I guess give it a chance. But I couldn't stand Kilgrave, so his plot-center role really put me off.

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I'm unfortunately feeling the same way. Six episodes in, and it's bad.

Gonna tough it out for the Cage story and any implications for Defenders.

Edit - glad I did! Second half of season is much, much better.

Healer_Leona and dp4m like this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Killgrave and Kingpin are top 5 MCU villains, and they came one after the other so the villainy quality in Netflix shows is high

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I don't think Kilgrave is comparable to Fisk, but he's not a bad villain. Just different, I think.

Ritter's performance once things really get going, story-wise, is fantastic. Just getting through those first few episodes is rough.

JJ not as good as either DD season for me, not even close - but the second half of the season is comparable to Cage, I think. And certainly much better than what I stomached of Iron Fist.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I kinda felt like JJ's lowpoint was it's midpoint (or was it 3/4ths?) when they started the house scenario. It had its highlights there too but losing the focus from going after Kilgrave harmed the momentum, IMO though it eventually recovered.

I just think the first half did a great job of establishing how vile Kilgrave is and his unique threat. Usually you get cartoonishly evil bad guys or sympathetic bad guys- but it's rare you get someone so loathsome and well rounded without it being stylized. Add to that that the heroes need was centered around having to prove his skillset's exist because (despite any such attempts putting you at risk of being undone by any demonstration of them) and it just brings a unique flair that fits the private eye angle well.

BigAl6ft6 and Rew like this.
  6. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I've only seen the first few episodes of that show. But it was just some woman stalking around drinking enough that she would realistically be a pretty debilitated alcoholic. This was interspersed with scenes of some random black guy having sex. You'll understand how I was underwhelmed.

7. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    You never fail to dissapoint, Wock.

Healer_Leona likes this.
  8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I love how Wocky can seemingly be himself whilst entirely missing the point of the scenes he's being himself with at the same time.

9. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012

If they did it on the floor, would it have made things better?

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I like the vigorous/angry like sex in Jessica Jones. So refreshing as everything else is watered down to "love making" and/or a gateway to a relationship. The sex in this series was very much like a distraction/a way to escape the PTSD suffering by Jessica Jones.

11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Jessica Jones Showrunner Melissa Rosenberg did a lot of seasons of Dexter as well and generally the good Dexter seasons are based around a good antagonist. Dexter also had a bullpen of supporting characters who were never quite as interesting as the lead unless they died / find out a critical plot point secret. Hell, half the time on Dexter the supporting characters had zero to do with the main character. you can kind of see this happening in Jessica Jones, admittedly, they tied all of the supporting characters to Killgrave, but if they can't work the supporting characters into the main arc it could go sideways real fast, depending if the Season 2 baddie is as good as Killgrave. Probably won't be but it could still be well done. There is Simpson percolating in the background (but they have to save him for Daredevil Born Again when it happens, dangit)

12. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I wonder if next season trish will find a way to get herself made into a super hero, because its looking like shes tracking down who gave jessica her powers.

13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, the series definitely hinted at Trish wanting to become a defender of sorts and if you're familiar with the source material, you know how that turns out.

I expect tracking down the source of Jessica's power will be the plot for season 2.

cerealbox likes this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  16. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Heyyy, objectification nice.

17. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Yeah, guys. Stop degrading this woman by admiring her looks. :rolleyes:

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  18. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    I'm surprised more women don't cosplay as her. Easiest look to pull off.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I think that's part of the problem. Her outfit is so conventional, only those with a keen eye (fans of the show or those who follow comic books very closely) would pick it up. It lacks the conviction of an Elektra type costume.

20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    The cosplayer have to have a pretty distinctive leather jacket with the zipper style. I think the fingerless gloves thing is huge selling point of the bit as well. That's kind of why I dig her costume-ing, even though she's just, y'know, wearing normal people clothes and not a bona-fide costume, it still stands out as distinctive when compared to other outfits. It's the lack of superhero outfit that sorta makes it her superhero outfit (probably much to her aggravation). Also the slapped together leather jacket and jeans sells Jessica's "I really don't care, whatever's clean" attitude.

21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    So they got wi-fi at my gym and I wanted to test it out (cuz if I can watch Netflix at the gym my Netflix watching productivity could triple) so to test it out I watched the bit with the "Smile". Damn that's an awesome moment! It didn't quite stream in HD, more 240p really, but still awesome AND it streamed smoothly.

22. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
  23. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Well

the fact that this news is being released so close to the Defenders premiere has me wondering.........if the Hand resurrects Kilgrave in Defenders

24. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    That would certainly be interesting.

cerealbox likes this.
  25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Damn, that would certainly be consequential. However,
    I'm going to assume it'll just be flashbacks since one assumes we'll be going into more of Jessica's backstory in this season. Alternatively, she may still have visions or mental echoes of Killgrave from all the exposure she had to him. Afterall, despite her developed resistance to his mind control, she was still heavily exposed to the viral agent or whatever it is that he releases. Plausible it would have lingering effects.