main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Marvel's Luke Cage

Discussion in 'Community' started by Diggy , Dec 4, 2015.

1. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007

Well someone else that's really strong or a bunch of guys or a high powered rifle will all do damage. We haven't seen him go up against anything but low level thugs in the trailer with just knives, handguns, etc...

2. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Loved the trailer and the choice of music for it. Music really hit that nostalgic cord with me.

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I think I might struggle seeing Remy Danton in this one.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's a pretty intentional music choice, it seems:

"Executive producer and screenwriter Cheo Hodari Coker refers to it as "The Wire of Marvel television" and adds that the show will be "what I call the Wu Tang-ification of the Marvel universe". Alfre Woodard, one of the show's stars, praised Coker's writing saying: "When I picked this up, it was one of the smartest pieces of writing I’ve ever come across.""

Jedi Merkurian and Diggy like this.
  5. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Great trailer, Colter is so perfect as Luke Cage.

6. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I agree. He's done a fine job so far, and I look forward to seeing more in his show.

7. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Loved it. Also, apparently all the episode titles will reference Gang Starr tracks :D

And Sweet Jeebus, I love the visuals of a bulletproof black man in a hoodie!

8. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    This looks cool but it's a real shame that one of the more charismatic characters in Marvel comics is doing the grim 'n' gritty thing.

9. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    "Sweet Chirstmas!" I loved the trailer. It's was great to see another beautifully shot hallway fight alah Daredevil.

I'm glad that Netflix has came along to take these properties and turn them into cinematic worthy productions.

I don't mind Luke Cage being grim n' gritty as it's inline with the rest of the "Defenders" characters and Hell's Kitchen. Plus, given the fact that Cage was spun out from Jessica Jones which was really dark and gritty, it makes sense.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    New trailer hitting tomorrow. New poster today:

[​IMG]

11. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
  12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Very good trailer. I see them even threw in a nod to the older outfit with the headband and wrist guards.

13. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Looking good. I mainly know Luke Cage from his Power Man & Iron Fist days so I'm not so familiar with his rogues gallery as I am with Daredevil's and Iron Fist's; I would think Warhawk would be a must, though, having acquired his strength and durability through similar means.

Also, love the nod to the classic headband.

Edit: ...like Quest said above me!

14. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yes! The headband and wrist guards are awesome.

I also love that the trailer starts out with Rosario Dawson's night nurse Claire. Good way to show the continuity with Daredevil and Jessica Jones. Claire is like the Nick Fury of the Netflix MCU.

15. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    This looks like it's going to be another awesome Marvel Netflix series, really looking forward to this.

16. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    These Netflix shows have turned out better than the MCU films. Great stuff.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Wouldn't she be more like Coulson?

18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, more like Coulson. I love Rosario Dawson. She better be in the Defenders.

Jedi Merkurian and QueenSabe7 like this.
  19. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    ooh baby, i like it raw

20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I only know of Luke Cage from that really awful anti-smoking issue that he was in along with Spider-Man and Storm.

21. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    That reminds me - how is your smoking habit?

22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Near non-existent. When I'm absolutely hammered, I'll do a few cigarettes, but the last time I did that was October 30th 2015. I do enjoy a good cigar with friends every now and then.

Darth Punk likes this.
  23. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Marvel’s Luke Cage Netflix Trailer Breakdown! (Nerdist News w/ Jessica Chobot)

24. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Good to see they'll be exploring Claire's character in more detail. I felt that's the one thing that Daredevil Season 2 lacked.

25. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    First two episodes of Luke Cage. I'm a huge fan of the Marvel TV universe so i've been hanging out for this one for a little while, especially as a fan of Jessica Jones. Honestly, it's my least favourite of the three for now. By far the slowest moving with minimal characters and settings with a tone that is unique to the show. While these things certainly aren't bad, so far the show plays more like a political crime drama rather than a vigilante drama or a noir thriller. I'd personally recommend watching the first two episodes back to back to serve as a "pilot" rather than just starting off with the first episode as a lot of the events of the first episode aren't really paid off until the second. Then, the ending of the second episode truly sets the series up while the first episode leads you wondering how a full thirteen episodes are going to be fleshed out.

Luke Cage is definitely its own beast so there's little point in comparing it to the other two Marvel shows. The only thing I will say is that there are attempts to bring elements of those shows which don't have quite the same impact. Mahershala Ali's character, Cornell, feels like a more laid back and suaver version of Fisk. Specifically, there's a scene where he viciously beats up one of his henchmen. That scene plays like a low rent version of the scene where Wilson Fisk decapitates one of his henchmen with a car door. Meanwhile, the story is more personal in terms of the protagonists motivations. For instance, Murdock was driven by his frustration with the corruption of the legal system, while Jessica Jones was driven by the torment of a former abusive relationship. In a way, Luke Cage plays closer to the latter.

Although Cage is excellent as a supporting character in Jessica Jones, i'm just not sold on him as a lead in his own show. Frankly, i'm more drawn into Mahershala Ali's character. Though I am a House of Cards fanatic.

Things I really liked:

Cameo by Turk

The fact that it is clearly set after Jessica Jones, Season 1

Misty Knight is an interesting character

Mahershala Ali

The soundtrack/theme song

70s exploitation style vibe. Very Tarantino-esque in places

Overall, a solid start to the series but it's definitely slow burning and hasn't quite won me over as Daredevil or Jessica Jones.