main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Marvel's New Warriors (Squirrel Girl!) [Cancelled]

Discussion in 'Community' started by cerealbox, Jul 10, 2017.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Big Brother Marvel Edition!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

ORLY?

http://marvelcinematicuniverse.wikia.com/wiki/Damage_Control_(TV_series)

3. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016

4. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Damage Control doesn't seem like a good fit for Freeform considering it's a government agency, meaning it most likely won't involve teens, nor seems to appeal to the target demographic of Freeform.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm pretty sure Damage Control was being developed for ABC, not one of its sister networks.

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Teenager learning the ropes of Damage Control. boom, done!

Anyway, I ain't gettin' me no Freeform in Canada and there really isn't a direct 1-1 comparison to what channel Freeform content will air up here, so hopefully they'll land on Netflix Canada to keep the Marvel block on Netflix strong or maybe Much. (Formerly MuchMusic now just a random pile of Freeform and CW content with music videos in the middle of the afternoon)

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    ABC Spark in Canada, I believe...

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  8. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    hadn't heard about that one before. Could be fun.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    New Warriors seeking a new home.

"Marvel’s new half-hour comedy series “New Warriors,” which has already received a full season order, is seeking a new home as it will no longer air on the Disney-owned cable network Freeform.

Freeform wasn’t able to find a slot for the series in its four night line-up in 2018 and so Marvel Entertainment asked for the series back. They will now shop it to other networks, but the company is limited with its options as it’s no longer able to sell their series to outside networks – making its most likely new home a streaming service.

The trade adds that the pilot episode “tested through the roof and caught the attention of high-level Disney executives.”"

cerealbox and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    So, it could find it's way to ABC, which needs to redeem itself with The Inhumans debacle.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, ABC (pair with AOS), Netflix (obvious no-network alternative), Hulu (since they have Runaways) or the forthcoming Disney service (though i think the latter would require them to hold theshow for another year which wouldn't be plausible from a production standpoint, I think).

12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Well, since The New Warriors is only a 30 minute show, it really wouldn't pair with Agents of SHIELD or even fill its time slot as a replacement. New Warriors would have to be paired with another 30 sitcom for fill an hour of programming.

I'd think Disney would want to keep this under its umbrella rather than license it out to another platform.

13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    ABC already wants to bounce Agents of SHIELD but Disney told them no, however, AoS is going to hit 100 episodes this season so maybe ABC can please Disney by finally getting rid of Agents of SHIELD but picking up New Warriors as it's Weekly Marvel Branding Advertisement Show.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    True, but then ABC had been developing a 30 min Marvel comedy previously (possibly Damage Control). You’re right that they’d have to pair something else with it, but that could easily be “9PM Sitcom” followed by “9:30 NW” leading into “10PM AOS”.

Or just put it on another night so you have the Marvel content spread out (but “paired” by being on the same network), or have NW air between Story Pods/split season of AOS like Agent Carter did.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Group photo of the cast:

[​IMG]

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Small update that confirms the first season (beyond the pilot) hasn't filmed yet, still won't be airing on Freeform and that they're still shopping it around.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  17. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Disney+ ?

Healer_Leona likes this.
  18. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
  19. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Nope. New Warriors was a Marvel TV/Jeph Loeb thing.

Feige’s not gonna put it with his stuff.

20. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    Nope.

Loeb may be in something of ill favor over at Marvel Entertainment at the moment. Supposedly doing the Moon Knight series was his top priority for having something to offer to the Disney+ service, but he was passed over and it was given to Feige instead.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There were reports that Disney+ had Marvel TV content on the service, it was just under a separate listing for "Marvel Series & Specials" from the Marvel Studios "MCU" listing. Plus Loeb was talking about having Disney+ plans in the near future, so it's at least possible that it could have ended up on there. I imagine we might get some word on whatever those plans are at NYCC in a couple weeks.

22. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I'm surprised that New Warriors can't find a home. Last I heard the pilot was wonderful. Apparently, those reports were wrong as everyone has passed on it. Can't say I'm truly disappointed since I'm not all that familiar with the cast outside the actress that got the role of Squirrel Girl and I haven't seen any footage of the series.

If there's no news on this at NYCC, I'm going to consider it dead as well.

23. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Not necessarily. There's tons of wonderful pilots for series that didn't get picked up (just look up 'failed TV Pilots on YouTube), for whatever reason or another. For example there was going to be a Smallville spinoff based on Aquaman that starred This is Us actor Justin Hartley that went nowhere (he later turned up on Smallville as that universe's Green Arrow instead). Nobody really knows what goes through TV Executives heads when they decide what series they want or don't want.

24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I wonder if they were even allowed to ask Netflix for New Warriors considering the Disney/Netflix spat is what killed off the Defenders shows. "Hey, Netflix! You want to pay a license fee for Marvel Co---" "GET OUT, LOEB!"

It's interesting that you'd figure Moon Knight would be a Marvel TV thing but then it's suddenly announced as Marvel Studios Kevin Feige Disney+ joint. It does seem like all Marvel TV will be Hulu and Marvel Studios will be Disney+ but it would be straight up odd if no new original Marvel TV stuff ends up on Disney+ like ever. (Loeb mentioned in passing that they were looking into Disney+ content) Isn't it going to have Marvel TV stuff like Agents of SHIELD, Agent Carter? Hell, maybe even those 8 episodes of Inhumans! Gotta put it somewhere! And if there's an Agent Carter revival that's a Marvel TV joint (which had Marvel Studios people working on it on the pilot, one of the Russos and Markus and McFeely I believe, hence why Jarvis from Agent Carter showed up in Endgame)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    AOS, etc will apparently be on D+.

Actually, since the category is supposedly "Marvel Series & Specials" it'd be a great way for them to distribute not only the New Warriors pilot (if it doesn't find a home) but also the Most Wanted pilot.